Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Really old RV

Hi everybody.
Complete newbie here, just purchased a really old Rv. 1977 Leasure Time 25 ft.
Owner upgraded engine to a Ford 460, Holly street avenger carb.. RV is in ex condition everything works, owner also installed some kind of overdrive switch ? I cannot find any info on this RV at all. Can anyone help with any info , will try and post pics later.
Thanks.
Tony.
PS. Do I switch off the overdrive going downhill ?
kijtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Tony! Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the vintage moho.

Leisure Time has been gone a long time so you're not going to find much if any info specific to the coach builder.
I assume it is a Class C (van nose) so your chassis should be a Ford E350 with possible modifications for RV application. The Ford chassis did not get an overdrive trans until about 1989 so either the PO (previous owner) installed a newer tranny or an add-on overdrive unit. Yes, OD off going downhill and up steep ones too.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #3

I had a 1977 Holiday Rambler class c on a Ford chassis.

I had an upgraded 460. And added a Gear Vendors overdrive. Ran great. 8 MPG at 70 MPH. TONS of power (45 MPH up to Eisenhower tunnel with a small car on a trailer, not floored). Went almost 200,000 in my family before we sold it.

The Gear Vendors site (linked above) should have all the info you need about it.

Can't help much with the box, but know a lot about the chassis.

(And watch what you are calling REALLY old...)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

How about some Pictures of this beauty?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #5

I would love to send pics, but am a newbie at posting photos, will try and work it out. Thanks for all the welcomes !!
Tony
kijtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Welcome! and thanks for keeping an oldie but goodie out of the landfills!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
bap

have u tried going to -go advance and click on the paper clip icon which should take u to your pics u have on your computer then hit browse and find the pick u want posted hit download then wait untill its downloaded then hit enter....to post ur message with pix.

let us know if that works for you...
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #8

I won't even try to help you with the overdrive, but as the owner of an antique (aka old) motorhome, I want to make you aware of some universal issues.

All the rubber parts that are OE are over age. This does not just mean tires (everybody knows that they are good for about seven years - I hope), but also all the hoses and belts. Belts are easy to look at, but the rubber lines for coolant, brake fluid and fuel should also be at least inspected carefully. The fuel lines, unless they have been replaced in the last few years, will not stand up the the stuff that is sold as "motorfuel" these days. Brake lines and brake fluid can both be a problem. The inner lining of a brake line can come loose and keep the brake fluid from returning. This will cause a brake to drag and possibly burn up. The fluid can also collect too much water. This will both lower the boiling temperature and make it become corrosive.

Can all of this be managed? It sure can. We have done about 11k this year.

Matt
Old 10-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Tony. Congrats on the new to you vintage rig. Best of luck on finding solutions to your questions. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote