Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Rear view camera

I can't see my trailer so was thinking of installing a rear view camera. I have a 1988 holiday rambler class c 24'. Any suggestions? I thought about wireless to keep from running wires to the front. Are any of the cheaper ones on ebay any good?
Thaks
Zoom45
Zoom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I was just on ebay looking at them today myself. I am considering buying one of the 9" screen wired systems with one rear camera for now but is upgradable if I decide to add the two sideview cameras. The system I was looking at was like $110. For that low of a cost I figure its worth giving it a shot.

Matt
matthewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

Do you have a link to the one you are looking at? My tag is mounted on the left side under the tail light so I wonder if it would show the whole trailer if it's not centered?
Zoom45
Old 05-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here is the wireless one for $108 Wireless IR Rear View Back Up Camera Night Vision System 9" Monitor for RV Truck | eBay

And this is the wired one I am lookin at it's actually $129 I guess I had my prices mixed up Tovgear 9" inch Rear View Backup Camera System for Truck Bus RV | eBay

My rig is 33' long and I'm not sure what the range would be on a wireless camera so, more than likely I will go wired just to be safe.

Matt
Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #5

Matt.
I bought this back-up camera for my 91 34 ft. Bounder and am very happy with it. I like the color and the rear view is good. I have mine hooked up so I can see behind me all the time, yet when I reverse, I have the back-up lines on the monitor. Good product for the money.
bluezxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezxracer View Post
Matt.
I bought this back-up camera for my 91 34 ft. Bounder and am very happy with it. I like the color and the rear view is good. I have mine hooked up so I can see behind me all the time, yet when I reverse, I have the back-up lines on the monitor. Good product for the money.
That's awesome news, I knew there had to be some decent bargain units out there. I just can't see paying 350-500 for something I can get for a much better price.

Matt
Old 05-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #7

bluezxracer...... did you buy the wireless or the wired unit?

ken
khodgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

Ken.
I thought about the wireless system, but I was concerned about the signal strength, so I went with the wired. I am really happy with it.
Marc
bluezxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

I ordered one that is wired and comes with two cameras. From all the reviews I read the wireless ones seemed to get a distorted picture and they hard wired it to fix it.
Zoom45
Old 05-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

I have used wireless cameras in the past, as well as wired. I currently have a standard camera on the rear of my 35 foot Southwind, but it is hard wired into a wireless transmitter in the cabinet in the rear bedroom, and the receiver in the dash board. I also have a hard wired camera on the curb side rear view mirror.

Even with this heavier duty transmitter and receiver, the image from the rear camera is no where near as stable as the wired one. One issue worth being concerned with is the wire itself for the long run to the back of the camper. I was worried that a small gauge wire might not carry the signal properly.

As has been stated earlier in this thread, I plan to replace the wireless with a wired alternative.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera