Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #211

Rather then opening new thread, thought I would try this one. Last summer used RMP and only 3 coats. Looked really good. Anyway question is, I am ready to put on the last 2 magic coats. Can I clean with the BKF without removing original coats. Not too worried aboout fine scratches as they would fill in.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #212

The Wet Look says to: "Maintain by dry burnishing with a beige pad. Best results are obtained if burnished 2 to 3 time each week." On the side of the bottle, it says: "Application Tools: Ultra-High Speed Burnisher".

Has anybody tried "burnishing" their motor home? If so, how do you hold the burnisher on the side of the motor home?
My arms got tired after about 13.7 seconds. ...And where do I get a "beige pad."

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #213

Solo Rvers Club
Has anyone tried the Red Max Pro on a metal travel trailer or will it only work on fiberglass?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #214

I keep our alpenlite steps looking nice and black so I did the red max on them and they still look great.
chevman
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Thx, Highwinder, good info for myself and others. Copied and saved. According HD's MSDS sheet, High Traffic has Phosphates and Wet Look doesn't. I Wet Look'd some frame tubes on my sand rail and can see the difference between fresh rattle can and ZEP'd. Guess which tubes shine better.
are you saying you use the Zep on your bare metal tubing as I would like to do that to my baha bug I don't want yo paint the frame Ed
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #216

I tried it on the aluminum skinned rear loading door on my 20' enclosed. It worked, but I put it on too heavy and it created runs when I went over the screw heads. I had to use straight ZEP stripper to remove it. Neither the Wet Look nor the stripper damaged the painted surface. I correctly put it on my 36 year old counter tops and they look almost new. I also used it on my shinol-vinyl floor. Imagine that!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
are you saying you use the Zep on your bare metal tubing as I would like to do that to my baha bug I don't want yo paint the frame Ed
No, the frame was powder coated, but dull from ten years of being sand blasted. I air-brushed the dull areas with krylon rattle can and then coated one side of the freshly painted surfaces with Wet Look just to see the difference.

There is no reason you couldn't Wet Look the bare metal. It would look like high-temp coated exhaust pipe and protect it from rust. I air-brushed it because of the common over-spray problem inherent with rattle can paints.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #218

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsjao View Post
Exactly!!!! Have to loose the coffee, finish the project and then celebrate, I celebrate with the good brother Jim and a splash of Pepsi!!
You diluted Jim? For shame!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #219

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
YEAH! I should never be diluted!!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #220

If you don't drink it properly, ice dilutes it.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #221

Preparing the surface is the most important part, since anything left on the surface will be sealed under the Red Max Pro acrylic coating. Start by washing your motorhome as you normally would, making sure to include the roof, rinsing well from the top down.

Now, you want to remove any and all stains, soiling, oxidation, and chalkiness from the surface of the motorhome. Dip a white 3M scrubbie into water and then sprinkle Bar Keeper’s Friend on it. Scrub the surface of the motorhome, rinsing the scrubbie and re-applying the BKF often. Do small areas at a time, rinsing well with water and a sponge as you go.

The next step is to make sure that there is absolutely no remaining wax on the motorhome, since wax can cause the Red Max to peel. Mix up a bucket of TSP (1/2 cup) in water (2 gal), and wash the entire motorhome. You can use a carwash brush, a sponge, a pressure washer…anything you would normally use. Rinse well, and let the motorhome dry completely. You should be left with a clean and smooth (although dull) surface. Congrats, the prep-work is now complete!

Now for the easy part. Pour some Red Max Pro (RMP) into a shallow container (a pie pan works well). Fold a microfiber rag to about hand-sized, dip into the RMP (trust me, use gloves!), and squeeze out the excess. How much/how wet? You want it more than damp, but less than dripping. Now simply wipe down the surface of the motorhome with the wet rag. Don’t try to over-apply; just wet the surface (imagine wiping a layer of dust off with a wet rag). Work your way all the way around the motorhome. RMP will dry quickly; by the time you’ve gone all the way around, it will be dry and you can immediately start on the next coat.

That first coat will likely look really bad; streaky, shiny in some places, dull in others…don’t panic. Each additional coat will even it out and start to build up a deep layer of shine. By coat 3, you will be grinning ear to ear. And coat 4 will be the icing on the cake.

Things (I learned) to keep in mind:

-Don’t use colored microfiber rags unless they have been laundered, as the color may bleed.

-Be careful around window frames, locks, latches, etc., as the RMP will have a tendency to gather and cause runs. Watch for runs and give them a quick wipe before they start to “set up”.

-Some older, deteriorated graphics may “bleed” color onto the rag. Watch for this and change or re-fold your rag so you don’t spread that color onto other parts of the MH. This should only occur with the first coat, as the RMP will then “seal” the graphics up. Subsequent coats will not have the problem.

-After each coat, go around and open/operate all hatches, locks, catches, etc. The acrylic (RMP) coating will sort of “glue” them closed.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #222

Mods, can you move or copy swaycool post to #1 or 2?

The only question I have is how soon you can re-coat things other than a MH? I've been using it on old computer desks, counter tops, sand rail tube frame and even on a floor. Is dry to the touch dry enough, or does it have to be closer to the manufacturer's 30 minutes? If it's not 30 minutes, does it cut through the previous coat?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #223

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Red Max Pro 3 vs. Zep High Traffic 3

I've seen a few different posts about RMP and ZEP, decided to read this post for the first time in it entirety. I'm glad I did, almost went to HD to buy ZEP Wet look (RMP not in stock at my Lowes) but after reading this post found ZEP Wet look is different then Red Max Pro.

Think I will go with the ZEP high traffic after reading it is the same identical product as RMP3

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #224

Spent last weekend next to a sea wall on the Pacific ocean. A strong storm blew in and covered my rv with ocean salt spray. The next day there was 1/64 inch of salt on the wind ward side of my rig. Washed it off 2 days later and there was that RMP shine just as good as ever.