Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #253

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
... It's funny how the only scoffers are those who haven't actually used it.
Now this is not exactly fair. The poster only stated that if you put it on to thick it might peal. He didn't criticize the product. Then tongue in cheek implied that he'd had lots of experience with wax 'swabbing the decks' in the Navy. Let's not get so serious here that we can't have a little fun.

CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #254

I'll bite. I have a sheet of epoxy paint coated aluminum. How many coats? I will put a short strip of tape on the edge in two places and put 5 coats on one strip of the metal and 10 on the other side. Or should I go more than 10? Any other rules. Drying time, color of microfiber, air temperature, etc? Inside or outside in the sun or in the shade. Gotta give the naysayeers an excuse if it fails.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #255

I guess from applying some parts in the sun it didn'ty look good everytime and again on a friends front and rear cap in cool weather. Finally after the sun was in a cloud for several minutes I redid the area and it was ok.
chevman
Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #256

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
I guess from applying some parts in the sun it didn'ty look good everytime and again on a friends front and rear cap in cool weather. Finally after the sun was in a cloud for several minutes I redid the area and it was ok.
chevman
Good to know

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #257

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Despite the fact that dozens, if not hundreds, of people have tried it on Rvs and boats (boaters were the first to try this several years ago) and reported success for as long as a year or more? It's funny how the only scoffers are those who haven't actually used it.
You need to back down there.. I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats..

My point was to the poster that wondered how many coats could be put on and whether more was better..

I like ya Ms Fritz, but back off..
Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #258

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
Now this is not exactly fair. The poster only stated that if you put it on to thick it might peal. He didn't criticize the product. Then tongue in cheek implied that he'd had lots of experience with wax 'swabbing the decks' in the Navy. Let's not get so serious here that we can't have a little fun.
Thanks you..
Old 04-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #259

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'll bite. I have a sheet of epoxy paint coated aluminum. How many coats? I will put a short strip of tape on the edge in two places and put 5 coats on one strip of the metal and 10 on the other side. Or should I go more than 10? Any other rules. Drying time, color of microfiber, air temperature, etc? Inside or outside in the sun or in the shade. Gotta give the naysayeers an excuse if it fails.
Who, me?

You guys have very, very short memories if you think I'm a scoffer or naysayer..

Whatever man.. whatever..
Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #260

Thumbs up

Me thinks we all will know more in a year or two.
chevman
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #261

Not you Jim. Just saying that if I don't do it right, ppl will find a reason that it peeled. Drying time, color of microfiber, air temperature, etc? Inside or outside in the sun or in the shade Too much sun, Not directed at you
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #262

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
You need to back down there.. I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats..

My point was to the poster that wondered how many coats could be put on and whether more was better..

I like ya Ms Fritz, but back off..
What you are saying now is not what you said before. Every time you posted since your original post, you changed your story a bit. First, you said,

" Gotta be careful guys, it IS just plastic in suspension (Acrylic) and can peel.."

When I asked you if you were basing that on personal experience, you responded,

"US Navy... lotta, lotta floors "

Maybe that was just a flippant answer but the fact is, you did not say you had based what you originally stated was based on actually having used it nor that you had had that problem. Naval floors and RV walls are not the same thing, assuming the same products were used (btw, I've also done floors for a living and never had one peel; I've also never seen any commercial floor peel and I've been around almost 63 years). That's why I essentially asked if the product you used in the Navy was RMP3. Your response to that was,

"No ma'am... but common sense will tell you that Acrylic is plastic, and plastic peels if you put it on too thick.. No matter what its actually on.."

This is the first time you said that it will peel if put on too thick, based on "common sense," no matter what the surface. First, common sense is a poor argument for anything (common sense once told people the world was flat, etc.) and certainly is not a substitute for the actual experience dozens, possibly over a hundred, of people who have reported on several RV and boat forums saying that they had good results with RMP3 NOT peeling (and the very few who have evnetually admitted they didn't do the proper surface preparation). All you have to is do a search on those forums, using RMP, RMP#3, and Read Max Pro#3 for search words to find them.

The fact that, up to then, you had not admitted to using RMP3 on an RV wall is why I made the comment that the only scoffers I have seen were those who had not actually used it. Your response,

"I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats.."

Now you are saying you use RMP3? Why didn't you say that before? Or are you referring to one of "...the other commercial products used on boats.."? We are specifically talking about RMP3 in this thread, not other products.

Frankly, I'm fed up with people who have had no experience with products but are quick to condemn them based on no experience or experience with similar, but different, products or early versions of a product many years prior (tankless water heaters are an example of the latter) and I will not hestitate to raise the B.S. flag when it happens. If you have actually used RMP3, you should have said so, especially after I challenged you on it. If, in your first comment, you were referring to the peeling occurring when applied too thickly, you should have said so.

And do not threaten me again.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #263

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
Me thinks we all will know more in a year or two.
chevman
There already have been numerous reports on several forums from people who have used it for a year or more with good results.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #264

Yes it is true but only if the prepartion work is done correctly will we or you and others know how well we did. I am hoping for a good result for all of us.
chevman
Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #265

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
What you are saying now is not what you said before. Every time you posted since your original post, you changed your story a bit. First, you said,

" Gotta be careful guys, it IS just plastic in suspension (Acrylic) and can peel.."

When I asked you if you were basing that on personal experience, you responded,

"US Navy... lotta, lotta floors "

Maybe that was just a flippant answer but the fact is, you did not say you had based what you originally stated was based on actually having used it nor that you had had that problem. Naval floors and RV walls are not the same thing, assuming the same products were used (btw, I've also done floors for a living and never had one peel; I've also never seen any commercial floor peel and I've been around almost 63 years). That's why I essentially asked if the product you used in the Navy was RMP3. Your response to that was,

"No ma'am... but common sense will tell you that Acrylic is plastic, and plastic peels if you put it on too thick.. No matter what its actually on.."

This is the first time you said that it will peel if put on too thick, based on "common sense," no matter what the surface. First, common sense is a poor argument for anything (common sense once told people the world was flat, etc.) and certainly is not a substitute for the actual experience dozens, possibly over a hundred, of people who have reported on several RV and boat forums saying that they had good results with RMP3 NOT peeling (and the very few who have evnetually admitted they didn't do the proper surface preparation). All you have to is do a search on those forums, using RMP, RMP#3, and Read Max Pro#3 for search words to find them.

The fact that, up to then, you had not admitted to using RMP3 on an RV wall is why I made the comment that the only scoffers I have seen were those who had not actually used it. Your response,

"I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats.."

Now you are saying you use RMP3? Why didn't you say that before? Or are you referring to one of "...the other commercial products used on boats.."? We are specifically talking about RMP3 in this thread, not other products.

Frankly, I'm fed up with people who have had no experience with products but are quick to condemn them based on no experience or experience with similar, but different, products or early versions of a product many years prior (tankless water heaters are an example of the latter) and I will not hestitate to raise the B.S. flag when it happens. If you have actually used RMP3, you should have said so, especially after I challenged you on it. If, in your first comment, you were referring to the peeling occurring when applied too thickly, you should have said so.

And do not threaten me again.
Whatever..

You again make it sound like I am condemning.. Go read this thread and the other on the same subject.. Funny how others understood..

And no one threatened..
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Time to take a couple of deep breaths and cool off folks. Let's please keep the discussion to the topic at hand and minimize debate over who said what when.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote