Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #253
Senior Member
 
CapnMorgan's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Asheville
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
... It's funny how the only scoffers are those who haven't actually used it.
Now this is not exactly fair. The poster only stated that if you put it on to thick it might peal. He didn't criticize the product. Then tongue in cheek implied that he'd had lots of experience with wax 'swabbing the decks' in the Navy. Let's not get so serious here that we can't have a little fun.
__________________

__________________
John & Robin
2000 /Holiday Rambler / Imperial
Cummins 350
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #254
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
I'll bite. I have a sheet of epoxy paint coated aluminum. How many coats? I will put a short strip of tape on the edge in two places and put 5 coats on one strip of the metal and 10 on the other side. Or should I go more than 10? Any other rules. Drying time, color of microfiber, air temperature, etc? Inside or outside in the sun or in the shade. Gotta give the naysayeers an excuse if it fails.
__________________

__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #255
Senior Member
 
Larry Barnhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 248
I guess from applying some parts in the sun it didn'ty look good everytime and again on a friends front and rear cap in cool weather. Finally after the sun was in a cloud for several minutes I redid the area and it was ok.
chevman
__________________
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #256
Senior Member
 
Wanabee FTer's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Golden Village Palms, CA
Posts: 1,988
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
I guess from applying some parts in the sun it didn'ty look good everytime and again on a friends front and rear cap in cool weather. Finally after the sun was in a cloud for several minutes I redid the area and it was ok.
chevman
Good to know
__________________
John
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #257
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Despite the fact that dozens, if not hundreds, of people have tried it on Rvs and boats (boaters were the first to try this several years ago) and reported success for as long as a year or more? It's funny how the only scoffers are those who haven't actually used it.
You need to back down there.. I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats..

My point was to the poster that wondered how many coats could be put on and whether more was better..

I like ya Ms Fritz, but back off..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #258
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
Now this is not exactly fair. The poster only stated that if you put it on to thick it might peal. He didn't criticize the product. Then tongue in cheek implied that he'd had lots of experience with wax 'swabbing the decks' in the Navy. Let's not get so serious here that we can't have a little fun.
Thanks you..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #259
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'll bite. I have a sheet of epoxy paint coated aluminum. How many coats? I will put a short strip of tape on the edge in two places and put 5 coats on one strip of the metal and 10 on the other side. Or should I go more than 10? Any other rules. Drying time, color of microfiber, air temperature, etc? Inside or outside in the sun or in the shade. Gotta give the naysayeers an excuse if it fails.
Who, me?

You guys have very, very short memories if you think I'm a scoffer or naysayer..

Whatever man.. whatever..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #260
Senior Member
 
Larry Barnhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 248
Thumbs up

Me thinks we all will know more in a year or two.
chevman
__________________
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #261
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
Not you Jim. Just saying that if I don't do it right, ppl will find a reason that it peeled. Drying time, color of microfiber, air temperature, etc? Inside or outside in the sun or in the shade Too much sun, Not directed at you
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #262
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
You need to back down there.. I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats..

My point was to the poster that wondered how many coats could be put on and whether more was better..

I like ya Ms Fritz, but back off..
What you are saying now is not what you said before. Every time you posted since your original post, you changed your story a bit. First, you said,

" Gotta be careful guys, it IS just plastic in suspension (Acrylic) and can peel.."

When I asked you if you were basing that on personal experience, you responded,

"US Navy... lotta, lotta floors "

Maybe that was just a flippant answer but the fact is, you did not say you had based what you originally stated was based on actually having used it nor that you had had that problem. Naval floors and RV walls are not the same thing, assuming the same products were used (btw, I've also done floors for a living and never had one peel; I've also never seen any commercial floor peel and I've been around almost 63 years). That's why I essentially asked if the product you used in the Navy was RMP3. Your response to that was,

"No ma'am... but common sense will tell you that Acrylic is plastic, and plastic peels if you put it on too thick.. No matter what its actually on.."

This is the first time you said that it will peel if put on too thick, based on "common sense," no matter what the surface. First, common sense is a poor argument for anything (common sense once told people the world was flat, etc.) and certainly is not a substitute for the actual experience dozens, possibly over a hundred, of people who have reported on several RV and boat forums saying that they had good results with RMP3 NOT peeling (and the very few who have evnetually admitted they didn't do the proper surface preparation). All you have to is do a search on those forums, using RMP, RMP#3, and Read Max Pro#3 for search words to find them.

The fact that, up to then, you had not admitted to using RMP3 on an RV wall is why I made the comment that the only scoffers I have seen were those who had not actually used it. Your response,

"I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats.."

Now you are saying you use RMP3? Why didn't you say that before? Or are you referring to one of "...the other commercial products used on boats.."? We are specifically talking about RMP3 in this thread, not other products.

Frankly, I'm fed up with people who have had no experience with products but are quick to condemn them based on no experience or experience with similar, but different, products or early versions of a product many years prior (tankless water heaters are an example of the latter) and I will not hestitate to raise the B.S. flag when it happens. If you have actually used RMP3, you should have said so, especially after I challenged you on it. If, in your first comment, you were referring to the peeling occurring when applied too thickly, you should have said so.

And do not threaten me again.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #263
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
Me thinks we all will know more in a year or two.
chevman
There already have been numerous reports on several forums from people who have used it for a year or more with good results.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #264
Senior Member
 
Larry Barnhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 248
Yes it is true but only if the prepartion work is done correctly will we or you and others know how well we did. I am hoping for a good result for all of us.
chevman
__________________
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #265
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
What you are saying now is not what you said before. Every time you posted since your original post, you changed your story a bit. First, you said,

" Gotta be careful guys, it IS just plastic in suspension (Acrylic) and can peel.."

When I asked you if you were basing that on personal experience, you responded,

"US Navy... lotta, lotta floors "

Maybe that was just a flippant answer but the fact is, you did not say you had based what you originally stated was based on actually having used it nor that you had had that problem. Naval floors and RV walls are not the same thing, assuming the same products were used (btw, I've also done floors for a living and never had one peel; I've also never seen any commercial floor peel and I've been around almost 63 years). That's why I essentially asked if the product you used in the Navy was RMP3. Your response to that was,

"No ma'am... but common sense will tell you that Acrylic is plastic, and plastic peels if you put it on too thick.. No matter what its actually on.."

This is the first time you said that it will peel if put on too thick, based on "common sense," no matter what the surface. First, common sense is a poor argument for anything (common sense once told people the world was flat, etc.) and certainly is not a substitute for the actual experience dozens, possibly over a hundred, of people who have reported on several RV and boat forums saying that they had good results with RMP3 NOT peeling (and the very few who have evnetually admitted they didn't do the proper surface preparation). All you have to is do a search on those forums, using RMP, RMP#3, and Read Max Pro#3 for search words to find them.

The fact that, up to then, you had not admitted to using RMP3 on an RV wall is why I made the comment that the only scoffers I have seen were those who had not actually used it. Your response,

"I am a believer and a user, young lady. I have even posted a review awhile back about the other 'commercial' products used on boats.."

Now you are saying you use RMP3? Why didn't you say that before? Or are you referring to one of "...the other commercial products used on boats.."? We are specifically talking about RMP3 in this thread, not other products.

Frankly, I'm fed up with people who have had no experience with products but are quick to condemn them based on no experience or experience with similar, but different, products or early versions of a product many years prior (tankless water heaters are an example of the latter) and I will not hestitate to raise the B.S. flag when it happens. If you have actually used RMP3, you should have said so, especially after I challenged you on it. If, in your first comment, you were referring to the peeling occurring when applied too thickly, you should have said so.

And do not threaten me again.
Whatever..

You again make it sound like I am condemning.. Go read this thread and the other on the same subject.. Funny how others understood..

And no one threatened..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #266
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Time to take a couple of deep breaths and cool off folks. Let's please keep the discussion to the topic at hand and minimize debate over who said what when.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Rick
__________________

__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bounder: Dash light switch question Helmutk Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 8 01-22-2011 02:08 PM
6 Volt Battery hook up and propane question partsman01 RV Systems & Appliances 5 12-02-2010 11:50 AM
Ball Hitch Question CNCCornwall Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 11 09-08-2009 10:07 PM
Vue break away switch mounting question maint1 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 06-19-2009 10:09 AM
Question regarding propane regulator gauge bigmichael Excel Owner's Forum 14 11-08-2008 08:52 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.