Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #337

Maybe this is what I was thinking of. Only thing is, I don't see the Honey name on the side.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #338

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow shine

Just finished the 5th coat on my 2001 Mountainaire. Used the Zep wet look. One of my neighbors who has a Winnie walked over and wanted to know what shop I used to "buff and wax" the MH. Showed him what I was doing for the last coat. Holy cow, can I try some of that was all he could say. As has been said here before PREP WORK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP. I used AWSOME to remove the oxidation and Dawn to make sure the wax was gone. Impressive but it does take at least three days to do right.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #339

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Has anyone had this application for a few or more years? How does it hold up? By that I mean.. does it discolor after a couple of years or does it just sort of wear away with washings?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #340

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Has anyone had this application for a few or more years? How does it hold up? By that I mean.. does it discolor after a couple of years or does it just sort of wear away with washings?
There is no evidence that it discolors over time. You will probably want to renew the shine after about a year- this entails a good, normal wash and rinse and the application of 1 coat of RMP.

This will bring back all the shine.

I believe that the early adopter people are now into the 3rd or 4th year with RMP, but Poly Glow ( a very similar acrylic product, but about 10x the cost of RMP) has been around much longer in the boat world, with no ill effects.

Its worth noting that RMP is being used with great success on oxidized fiberglass, but that it has NOT been used on new gelcoat that's in good condition.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #341

A question that I haven't seen asked. What do you do about the silicone that is around the top edge of windows. Wouldn't think it would stick to silicone. My 2004 Sunnybrook needs this RMP but waiting on response to how to handle silicone.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #342

I guess you could test it with a scrap of metal, Formica, glass, etc. Lay a bead of silicone, let it dry, apply some RMP and see what it does when dry. I have no idea. What do you expect/think it will do?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #343

I didn't see any problem at the top of our windows or caulking anywhere. I did our one year ago. If it didn't stick to the silicone it would not be a problem.
git- r- done.
chevman
Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #344

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dont see the problem with it not sticking to silicone..?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #345

Thanks for the responses. I guess if it didn't stick it would be no big deal.
When younger I painted a few automobiles and you better get all traces of any silicone off or you will get what is called fish eye as auto paint will not stick to silicone.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #346

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm going to guess it will NOT stick to silicone and can't imagine why that would be a problem. There is such a thin line of silicone caulk that is used on the tops of windows (which is only there to keep down black streaking from the butyl caulk underneath).

Unless you have a really wide glop of silicone for some reason?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #347

My alpenlite had quite a lot of silicone around windows that always looked dirty. I cut it all off with a exacto knife except right where the window meets the siding. Looks much cleaner.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #348

My town has two Lowes and neither one had RMP #3. One had two gal of #2 and the other one had no RMP at all. They do have Zep high traffic about $16.00 and Zep wet look about $26.00. I bought the wet look as it seems that's what I've seen suggested and probably in this thread. Just too lazy to go back through this thread.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #349

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Somers View Post
My town has two Lowes and neither one had RMP #3. One had two gal of #2 and the other one had no RMP at all. They do have Zep high traffic about $16.00 and Zep wet look about $26.00. I bought the wet look as it seems that's what I've seen suggested and probably in this thread. Just too lazy to go back through this thread.

Apparently RMP has been discontinued, but is manufactured by the Zep folks. I have heard the high traffic takes a couple more coats to achieve the same glossiness, but is a more durable finish. Both seem to work well based on posters experiences here.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #350

Im wondering if any of you guys have tried this "wax" on anything with a custom paint job? I have an old Wells Cargo (1993) that had a custom paint job put on it when it was new. since then its not been taken care of very well. one side is relatively nice, the other side is pretty much stripped bare of any clear coat & is very dull.

several folks have said that they found that the stuff tried to make colors run, which is my biggest concern.

I have read this entire thread & some folks have tried it on trailers with paint from the factory, but I did not see where anyone tried is on anything like this.

another concern is the 8 billion screw heads. I can see where that might make 8 billion runs when I ran over them with the towel with the stuff on it.

I guess I could "try a spot" & see how it comes out, but Im afraid if it comes out like ass, I cant get it off w/o ruining the rest of it.

thoughts................

thanks folks.
Bob

here is what it looks like.