Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #379

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is more of a solution for faded/burned out gelcoat. I did not want to spend huge bucks for a known brand acrylic sealant, so I opted for this.

Worst case scenario is I may have to strip it off, but I don't think so. Others say it starts to wear off within a year or so and then needs a couple of "refresher" coats.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #380

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Apparently, Wet takes less coats, High Traffic is more durable..

Does the HT attain the gloss level of the Wet look. I guess I really want it to pop when I'm finished regardless of coats required.

From all the positive testimonials of the concept, irregardless of brand name, I have not heard anything negative other than some redo's from being a little sloppy early on.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
For some reason, the idea of covering my motohome with floor polish doesn't sit well with me....after all, I wouldn't cover my car with it. Don't you guys get drips, runs and rough spots (like orange peel or streaky rub marks)??

Maybe it's just because I have a smooth panels (that were like glass from the factory)?? I'm sure if you had textured fiberglass, it might look good.

Jon it is ok nobody will make you do it.
chevman
Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #382

hahaha, well I'm just intrigued. The before and after pics look awesome!! but it seems this is more of a fix for older units, or units with textured sides (where you can feel the fiberglass strands ever so slightly)....not for unit with glass-smoth sides.

Probably would have done wonders on my old Coachmen...it was dull, and there wasn't much I could do about it.

Does it yellow?? can you use it just on stripes and maybe fiberglass front and rear caps?
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #383

I did ours on smooth gel walls and no yellow that I can see and it was done last July. I want to redo it before we leave for the winter just because it looks awesome to us. I waxed our alpenlite 3 times in 2010 and 2 times each summer since 2001 so I did a lot of work removing the build up. I did our shower and nothing is smoother that a shower. glad you had a chuckle.
chevman
Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #384

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
For some reason, the idea of covering my motohome with floor polish doesn't sit well with me....after all, I wouldn't cover my car with it. Don't you guys get drips, runs and rough spots (like orange peel or streaky rub marks)??

Maybe it's just because I have a smooth panels (that were like glass from the factory)?? I'm sure if you had textured fiberglass, it might look good.
Every time you 'wax' with those 'new waxes (that are not wax)', you are, in fact, covering your car with Acrylic.. There are also many 'polishes' out there that are specifically sold to be used on boats/RVs/Planes that are, in fact, Acrylic (Poly-Glo, for example)...
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #385

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Does the HT attain the gloss level of the Wet look. I guess I really want it to pop when I'm finished regardless of coats required.

From all the positive testimonials of the concept, irregardless of brand name, I have not heard anything negative other than some redo's from being a little sloppy early on.
Not sure, not having used either, only Red Max..
Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #386

Zep High Traffic is RMP 3

I have posted this before but it is buried somewhere in the last 300 posts. As RMP 3 was being deleted, I called ZEP tech support. ZEP said , ZEP High Traffic is RMP 3 in a diffrent bottle. Wet look is not an exact replacement for RMP 3. Have to agree with Larry. I didn't think the shiney glass on my slab side would benifit from RMP 3. I was wrong. The improved shine was awsome. Done a year ago. Tried some touch up and it did not improve much.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #387

Quote:

Not if you're even slightly careful applying it. If you see a drip, wipe it off! The reason for the several coat requirement is to allow you to put it on in very thin coats. The applicator should be damp, not dripping wet. Kind of like a chamois?

Do a test panel (the area below the front headlights?) to see what's going on. My bet is once you see, you'll do the whole coach like the rest of us have! Don't judge too harshly until after the 4th coat or so..... and don't go over anything you're not going to want to see forever!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #388

I wish I had known about this stuff when I had my Ranger bass boat. The gel coat was so far gone, the metal flakes were.... flaking off.

It works on just about everything. Not going to embarrass myself by telling everything I've tried it on, but I did my 30+ YO counter tops, a computer desk, my sand rail tube frame parts, work bench, and even a floor... imagine that. My MH doesn't need it yet. I bought the Wet Look just to see what everyone was talking about. I've even changed primer grey to gloss grey.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #389

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I wish I had known about this stuff when I had my Ranger bass boat. The gel coat was so far gone, the metal flakes were.... flaking off.

It works on just about everything. Not going to embarrass myself by telling everything I've tried it on, but I did my 30+ YO counter tops, a computer desk, my sand rail tube frame parts, work bench, and even a floor... imagine that. My MH doesn't need it yet. I bought the Wet Look just to see what everyone was talking about. I've even changed primer grey to gloss grey.
A FLOOR? You radical you!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #390

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

Here's a shot of High Traffic (5 coats) on a faded 13 year old Alpine. I'm happy

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #391

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Here's a shot of High Traffic (5 coats) on a faded 13 year old Alpine. I'm happy
Sweet! You could shave in that reflection...

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #392

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With ZEP Wet Look

Here are some pictures of our 2001 Mountainaire with five coats of ZEP Wet look. Pretty impressive if it lasts awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JED Right Side 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	23618   Click image for larger version

Name:	JED Right Side 3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	23619  

Click image for larger version

Name:	JED Left Side.jpg