Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #393

You both have done a great job .
chevman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #394

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did it and boy am I happy

I have a 1996 Pace Arrow Vision (smooth glass) the coach did not look all that bad, but what a difference .

Got 3 coats of ZEP high traffic on the front, rear and passenger side and 2 on the driver side, got weathered out. Can't wait to get 4 coats all around. Very easy to apply, best method for removing black streaks, scotch type fiber scrubbie and good old COMET!!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #395

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good day!
The clearcoat on the colored (painted ) area below the belt line, on my rear fibreglass cap on my coach, has been peeling off over the last couple of years. I finally got sick of looking at it, and discovered I can peel the remainder of it off, just with a garden hose and nozzel ! So it's all off, but the patches where it peeled off months ago are lighter color, due to sun fade, than the rest which was just removed. When I wet it down with a hose, the color matches quite well, when dry, the sun faded areas are noticable.
Think the ZEP'wet look', will cover this up?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #396

It seems to me it will make it closer to what you will be happy with.
chevman
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #397

^ that's kind of blowing my mind a little. Those results are fantastic

Can this stuff turns funny if left alone for a couple of years...if you don't retreat it?? I saw a motorhome that came in on trade, and it had a white milky finish on it. The previous owner put some kind of coating over it, we weren't sure what though. Floor polish used to turn white over time, especially if water was left on the surface. How is this any different??
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #398

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post

Can this stuff turns funny if left alone for a couple of years...if you don't retreat it?? I saw a motorhome that came in on trade, and it had a white milky finish on it. The previous owner put some kind of coating over it, we weren't sure what though. Floor polish used to turn white over time, especially if water was left on the surface. How is this any different??
This isn't polish or wax, it is acrylic, a hard, clear plastic polymer similar to Plexiglas, Lucite, or Perspex. The only question seems to be it's UV resistance. It doesn't mention this quality on the label, but then again it is sold as an INTERIOR floor coating. Googling the use on boats and RV's, it seems to hold up quite well with no reports of yellowing or peeling. Applying a refresher coat each year is much easier to apply than wax. I've had it on my RV about 3 months and smile when I see the shine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #399

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
This isn't polish or wax, it is acrylic, a hard, clear plastic polymer similar to Plexiglas, Lucite, or Perspex. The only question seems to be it's UV resistance. It doesn't mention this quality on the label, but then again it is sold as an INTERIOR floor coating. Googling the use on boats and RV's, it seems to hold up quite well with no reports of yellowing or peeling. Applying a refresher coat each year is much easier to apply than wax. I've had it on my RV about 3 months and smile when I see the shine.
It's not UV resistant which is why a "refresher" coat is needed annually. Roofs, which get a more direct shot of sunlight, generally hold up only six months before needing recoating. Given the amount of work required to apply wax only to have to do it again two or more times a year, giving the RV a really good bath and applying another coat of RMP or ZEP makes a whole lot more sense.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #400

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Good day!
The clearcoat on the colored (painted ) area below the belt line, on my rear fibreglass cap on my coach, has been peeling off over the last couple of years. I finally got sick of looking at it, and discovered I can peel the remainder of it off, just with a garden hose and nozzel ! So it's all off, but the patches where it peeled off months ago are lighter color, due to sun fade, than the rest which was just removed. When I wet it down with a hose, the color matches quite well, when dry, the sun faded areas are noticable.
Think the ZEP'wet look', will cover this up?
It is going to look better than it did. Worst case if you don't like it, remove it. My guess is it will look fine after about the third coat.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #401

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
It is going to look better than it did. Worst case if you don't like it, remove it. My guess is it will look fine after about the third coat.
+1 Agreed - there were multiple places on my old Bounder that were dull and faded looking - the RMP in 2011, and the refresher coats (2) that I put on this year brought them out much better. This RV sat out all winter in the direct sunlight next to a place that makes industrial tires, so it had 6 months of time to get grotty and dirty. A good bath and some Barkeeper's Friend, and two coats of refresher later, and she was as good as the day she rolled off the line.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #402

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post

I have had redmax on my RV for 2 years now and it still looks the same as the day I put it on that's living in Las Vegas NV.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #403

Freightliner Owners Club
I used Bar Keepers Friend to wash the first time followed by Dawn the second time. Then 6 coats of ZEP from Home Depot. Looks Great Now!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #404

My rig looked like C%^& even after a $300,000 wax detail. With RMP 3 coats after 1 year it shines like new. If it does go bad, I will strip it and do it again. I am proud of the shine on my 18 yr old Alpenlite.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #405

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
My rig looked like C%^& even after a $300,000 wax detail. With RMP 3 coats after 1 year it shines like new. If it does go bad, I will strip it and do it again. I am proud of the shine on my 18 yr old Alpenlite.
$300,000 wax detail?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #406

Monaco Owners Club
Finally finished my entire coach with Zep HTFF. Put 6 coats on the bottom which is all bay doors, which would chauk severely and really been a big PITA to keep looking half way decent.

Put 4 coats on the rest. The results are absolutely amazing. If it weren't for the dated graphics, this coach looks like a new one. I'm not sure what is better, that the coach looks this good or the maintanance work has been reduced by 1000%.

Doing my enclosed motorcycle trailer next! Dunner - I'll let ya know.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote