Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #603

That's very disappointing. Would you give more details please? I'm thinking about going the Zep route and would like to know more.

Is the flaking occurring on everything - gel coat, painted surfaces?

Could you give more information about where your RV has been? is it outside 24/7? Exposed to a lot of heat and sunlight?

Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #604

The flaking is not on the front or rear caps. I am surprised it is on the pass side that is flaking and maybe the green decals on the drivers side of the fifth. The green bleed as I did the first application 2 summers ago. We sit in Casa Grande in the full sun and same at home except the drivers side get shaded during the afternoon but so does the pass sun when the fifth is making it's own shade. I am disappointed also. I am thinking about poli glow for the next idea. The red max sure made it a shiny looking alpenlite. After the 1st season I could see the white was getting yellow and where the flaking is it now white . That was not a problem really as it was very slight.

As I said I did a great job on the prep. Every screw was scrubbed with a brush to get the wax out because I waxed it many times. Waxing a 35 ft rv sucks after many years and it never looked as good as the red max pro #3. My neighbor just did his TT with poli glow.
chevman, soon to be on the road to the south .

Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #605

Red Max and Zep Products For restoring Fiberglass Explained

Today (4/8/2014), I contacted Zep’s http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/High-Traffic-Floor-Finish Tech Department (404-603-7902) to clear up some confusion as to where “Red Max Pro (Step 3)”, “Zep Wet Look Polish”, “Zep Wet Look Finish” and “Zep High Traffic Floor Polish” fit into the picture of availability and usage for reconditioning your RV fiberglass.
First, “Red Max Pro (Step 3)” was made by Zep. The name, not the formula, was discontinued.
Next, “Zep Wet Look Polish” and “Zep Wet Look Finish” are synonymous. The name “Polish’ is used in California and other states where VOC regulations prohibit or restrict “Finishes”. Eventually the word “Finish” will be discontinued completely.
Zep suggests using the “Zep Hi-Traffic Floor Polish/Finish” product# ZUHTFF128 for commercial or RV applications where it encounters a harsh environment. It is a heavier grade than the ‘Wet Look Polish”, product ZUWTFF128. These product numbers relate to the one gallon size only. Five coats are suggested. Remember to do the prep steps mentioned in earlier blogs first though.
Since the nomenclature “(Step 3)” was referred to with these products, I asked “What was “Step 4” then”? Answer, the floor cleaner product.
Finally, according to the rep, the “Hi-Traffic Floor Polish” product# ZUHTFF128 that you will want to use on your RV is available at both Lowes and Home Depot. I would call their front desk and ask them to search their inventory listing to make sure they stock it and that it is, in fact, in stock B4 you drive in to buy it.
I hope this has been helpful to you.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCentrick View Post
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Today (4/8/2014), I contacted Zep’s

Super helpful- thank you for your effort!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCentrick View Post
Today (4/8/2014), I contacted Zep’s http://www.zepcommercial.com/product/High-Traffic-Floor-Finish Tech Department (404-603-7902) to clear up some confusion as to where “Red Max Pro (Step 3)”, “Zep Wet Look Polish”, “Zep Wet Look Finish” and “Zep High Traffic Floor Polish” fit into the picture of availability and usage for reconditioning your RV fiberglass.
First, “Red Max Pro (Step 3)” was made by Zep. The name, not the formula, was discontinued.
Next, “Zep Wet Look Polish” and “Zep Wet Look Finish” are synonymous. The name “Polish’ is used in California and other states where VOC regulations prohibit or restrict “Finishes”. Eventually the word “Finish” will be discontinued completely.
Zep suggests using the “Zep Hi-Traffic Floor Polish/Finish” product# ZUHTFF128 for commercial or RV applications where it encounters a harsh environment. It is a heavier grade than the ‘Wet Look Polish”, product ZUWTFF128. These product numbers relate to the one gallon size only. Five coats are suggested. Remember to do the prep steps mentioned in earlier blogs first though.
Since the nomenclature “(Step 3)” was referred to with these products, I asked “What was “Step 4” then”? Answer, the floor cleaner product.
Finally, according to the rep, the “Hi-Traffic Floor Polish” product# ZUHTFF128 that you will want to use on your RV is available at both Lowes and Home Depot. I would call their front desk and ask them to search their inventory listing to make sure they stock it and that it is, in fact, in stock B4 you drive in to buy it.
This should be a sticky!! I researched this when Lowes first discontinued RMP#3. RMP#3 is ZEP Hi-Traffic!!!!!! Once and forever!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
The flaking is not on the front or rear caps. I am surprised it is on the pass side that is flaking and maybe the green decals on the drivers side of the fifth. The green bleed as I did the first application 2 summers ago. We sit in Casa Grande in the full sun and same at home except the drivers side get shaded during the afternoon but so does the pass sun when the fifth is making it's own shade. I am disappointed also. I am thinking about poli glow for the next idea. The red max sure made it a shiny looking alpenlite. After the 1st season I could see the white was getting yellow and where the flaking is it now white . That was not a problem really as it was very slight.

As I said I did a great job on the prep. Every screw was scrubbed with a brush to get the wax out because I waxed it many times. Waxing a 35 ft rv sucks after many years and it never looked as good as the red max pro #3. My neighbor just did his TT with poli glow.
chevman, soon to be on the road to the south .
Time to strip it and do it again. Still lots better than my professional annual detail and wax jobs. My RMP#3 lasted 2.5 years before it needed stripping.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #609

It is a bummer when it starts flaking off. You have areas where it is still good and shiny and then other areas that show the old miserable oxidized finish that you had before you used RMP#3
Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #610

Stripping it off is not easy. We are home at this time after 199 nights away. The passenger side during the winter in Arizona has flaked 75% on it's own and the drivers side has started. I will use poli glo after I remove the red max. Funny thing is a very old Teton at our winter rv park still looks good and we did the red max at the time but no way did he do the prep I did. I washed the bugs off of the front cap this morning and it looks as good as it ever did after the red max, rear cap the same.

chevman
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #611

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1397306634.066491.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	60447. I just used the Zep high traffic and am really happy with the shine. Thanks for all the comments here and details on surface preparation.

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #612

ZEP Wet look

I just did the front of my 1978 Concord. Spent some time on the preparation & gave it 5 coats of Zep wet look. It turned out great. Shines like a new one. The aluminum sides were already shiny so I just did the front. Will do the back next.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #613

You guys are applying and I have removing ours. Not an easy job.

chevman
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #614

Go easy with the stripper. I was using stripper as directed. Worked all day, then pulled it out into the sun and found about half was not coming off. Went more concentrated, RMP 3 came right off but the painted aluminum on the lower Quarter panels started to get gummy. If RMP3 goes back on, it will be 2 very light coats. My first plan was to just let it deteriorate until it all flaked off. Should of stuck with plan 1.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #615

I let it flake off all winter and was very happy to let it do it's thing. I will apply poli glo next. The front and rear caps look great. The pass side is slowly flaking off so one side at a time. 3 years of looking great but the white had a yellow tint as time went on. I am using the stripper full strength and it seems to be the best but small areas and hot water rinse. I use a small pad with rubber gloves.
Thanks for any information
chevman
Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
I let it flake off all winter and was very happy to let it do it's thing. I will apply poli glo next. The front and rear caps look great. The pass side is slowly flaking off so one side at a time. 3 years of looking great but the white had a yellow tint as time went on. I am using the stripper full strength and it seems to be the best but small areas and hot water rinse. I use a small pad with rubber gloves.
Thanks for any information
chevman
Still working on the red max removal. Hot water did not help as it set the product up. I have applied the stripper in small areas and quickly rinse it off. No time for how the instructions tell because it is not a flat surface. I might have the one side ready for the poli glo prep.