Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #617

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed Red max on my motor home three years ago. It still looks good everywhere but the rear cap. I bought the red max stripper and believe me it is tough to come off. I tried diluting it as suggested and it only took part of it off. So I used full strength and it comes right off. It will be a big job to remove it all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
I installed Red max on my motor home three years ago. It still looks good everywhere but the rear cap. I bought the red max stripper and believe me it is tough to come off. I tried diluting it as suggested and it only took part of it off. So I used full strength and it comes right off. It will be a big job to remove it all.

Please come and help me!!!!

I feel it begins to harden of you don't do little areas. How are you doing it?

I found a couple little spots that I have done 15 times I think.

chevman

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #619

Forgive me for not reading all 45 pages of this thread, I have not contributed in a while to this thread, it was last year.

So is the general consensus that RMP/ZEP is a wash because of flaking and yellowing and that Poli-Glow is instead the best finish option? I was planning on doing my RV's finish this year, and have made all the purchases for the Zep High Traffic approach, and was going to start soon.

So is the Zep/RMP method considered a failed idea? Last year I was reading how it was being touted as the "just re-coat once a year and you're set for life" kind of deal. Is this no longer so?

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #620

I was thinking it was the final deal and no more waxing. The front and back cap look great at this time. The 2nd year of installing red max I redid it so 8 coats were installed. Summer of 2013 I decided to not apply anymore because it looked great. Slight yellowing but not bad. As we were loading for the winters trip I saw some flaking but too late to do anything. I feel I did more prep for the dewaxing and getting the fifth ready for the red max than most would do so when I saw a older Teton fifth that was done the same summer as ours and it looked good at our winter rv resort I was disappointed on how we looked. Just thinking poli glo will be better?????? Soon I will do the poli the side I have been working on and give a report.

chevman
Old 05-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #621

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwinder View Post

So is the Zep/RMP method considered a failed idea? Last year I was reading how it was being touted as the "just re-coat once a year and you're set for life" kind of deal. Is this no longer so?

Thanks,
Certainly not a "fail" in my opinion. Coming up on 2 years and still very shiny and easy to wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	61952  
Old 05-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #622

IMHO PolyGlo is in the same category as redmax/zep. Looks good for a while, but when it starts to fail it is a real mess to try and remove so you can do the job correctly. I am still fighting trying to get my fiver backlooking nice again after working hard to strip the poly crud off. Will never recomend applying it to anything
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
IMHO PolyGlo is in the same category as redmax/zep. Looks good for a while, but when it starts to fail it is a real mess to try and remove so you can do the job correctly. I am still fighting trying to get my fiver backlooking nice again after working hard to strip the poly crud off. Will never recomend applying it to anything
Now this is interesting to me. What I'm reading so far is that RMP, "Poli-Crud" , etc all act the same way - that is, they look good for a couple years and then start to rapidly age, yellow, and flake, resulting in a nightmare of stripping and reapplication.

So, before I start the Zep High Traffic treatment on my RV, I'm thinking I might need to ask this question:

Does adding a new coat every year (as originally posted earlier in this thread) keep the above nightmare from happening?

If not, then this whole floor wax idea is so far proving to be a bust and I may as well just be using Turtle Wax.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #624

I feel it is early to really know your answer because many folks have applied red max from the stories and forums I looked at before doing our fifthwheel. The front cap after almost 3 years is good. Back the same.

chevman
Old 05-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
I feel it is early to really know your answer because many folks have applied red max from the stories and forums I looked at before doing our fifthwheel. The front cap after almost 3 years is good. Back the same.

chevman
What did you use? RMP/ZEP or PoliGlow?
How many coats?
Whole rig or just the caps?
Are you adding a new coat every year?
Any yellowing?

My rig is fiberglass, top, sides, and caps. I really don't care about yellowing (much) because the color of the rig is tan and brown. But I definitely don't want to be having to hassle with flaking and stripping.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #626

I used red max pro #3. I also did a heck of a lot of work removing the wax from years of working my rear end off doing since 2001. I will guess nobody did more to prepare the surface as I did. this is why I was disappointed when the flaking started.

4 applications the first time and 4 a year later on all front, back and sides. It really looked awesome.
chevman
Old 05-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #627

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
IMHO there is no shortcuts to keeping your RV looking nice. It will take hard work.
Let me leave y'all with this question.
Would you use this stuff on your fancy new Corvette, or show car?
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
IMHO there is no shortcuts to keeping your RV looking nice. It will take hard work.
Let me leave y'all with this question.
Would you use this stuff on your fancy new Corvette, or show car?

Well ya know a corvette does not need anything because of the great paint that is used and ya know stupid would be the only reason for buying a corvette and ya don't know my neighbor just told me his brother is going on 5 years with poli glo on his boat and now ya know I have to go because my popcorn is ready and ya know how much I like popcorn.

chevman
Old 05-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #629

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to say I'm still an RMP/Zep fan. My Bounder got it's first 4 coats back in 2011, then a 2-coat update in 2012, and a 2-coat again last year. I haven't noticed any flaking or yellowing, but like Highwinder, my B is that rather ugly brown/tan that was big in the 80s. I will say I have always applied VERY LIGHT coats, and always left cure time inbetween. I've had compliments on the old gal at several campsites, because the RMP DOES add a fair amount of shine if done correctly. But, remember, it's formulated for INDOOR use - so UV protection and resistance to sun fade are not its strong suit. To me, it's ease of application and general 'bang for the buck' outweigh any downsides three years in the future.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #630

Not possible to apply it on heavy. I decided to forget the instructions on the stripper and the drivers side had not flaked off as much as the other side. I still have a lot of work for removing red max on that side but I will. Fifth is white again on the done side. Front and back are ok so maybe next year they will be done if needed. Waxing wasn't that much fun for years either.

chevman