Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
If there is a Home Depot close by, look for Zep's Wet Look Floor Finish. Zep is supposed to be the actual manufacturerer, Red Max Pro is just the Zep's Wet Look re-branded for Lowe's.

Not verified by personal experience, just passing along what I have read on other forums
Zep does make a #3 just like the Red Max Pro...that's what I used and it works great. The "Wet Look" is a number 3 as well but it is $24 instead of $15.95. I got the $15.95 one since it was the same price as the Red Max Pro #3 and therefore thought it was the same thing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
Zep does make a #3 just like the Red Max Pro...that's what I used and it works great. The "Wet Look" is a number 3 as well but it is $24 instead of $15.95. I got the $15.95 one since it was the same price as the Red Max Pro #3 and therefore thought it was the same thing.
Good to know!

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #59

Thanks! Looks great.

Thanks for the thread and to 4x4van for the tutorial. We couldn't find white microfiber towels so used the yellow ones from Walmart. But after 2 coats I halted the process and finally found white at the Dollar Store in the washcloth and hand towels section. The yellow ones were changing the polish to yellow!

We used the Bar Keepers Friend and the 3m scotchbrite pads to clean (pain!) and it was effective but a work out and a half. We also used the sonic scrubber (sort of like a sonic toothbrush but a cleaning tool). They are about $10 and very effective at getting the grime out of the corners and around the latches.

The Red Max was the easiest part. We put on 4 coats before it looked like rain so we stopped (also we were beat). It looks spectacular and gave new life to our blue graphics. Some are so checked and faded that nothing can help them but some look a lot better. Hopefully the sun will bleach out the yellow cast that we put in with the yellow microfiber towels.

We put the Red Max also on the black parts (door handle, window trim etc) and the chrome parts. It shined everything up and made the whole rig sparkle. Both last year and this year we tried waxing it but the wax never did anything as remotely spectacular as this.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #60
5er

I just finished doing the Red Max Pro thing to my old '95 Jayco. I too am very pleased with the results.
5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Has anyone used RMP on a newer rv? Mine is a 2004, the finish is in good condition, but the stripes are just starting to get some fade, cracking & lifting on the top stripe of the drivers side, & the front & rear caps are getting dull & chalky on the very top. What is the long term effect of the RMP due to UV from the sun? Anyone have this on longer than a year or 2?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #62
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Has anyone used RMP on a newer rv? Mine is a 2004, the finish is in good condition, but the stripes are just starting to get some fade, cracking & lifting on the top stripe of the drivers side, & the front & rear caps are getting dull & chalky on the very top. What is the long term effect of the RMP due to UV from the sun? Anyone have this on longer than a year or 2?
I can't speak to the longevity of the process, however I did recently apply it to my 2004 Allegro. Mine was in similar condition. It was looking a bit dull and the striping was beginning to fade and lift. I used the Bar Keepers Friend and then washed again with dish soap to start with a clean, wax free finish. Then I did the four applications of RMP #3. I was impressed with the results, and so was the DW. My black side view mirrors were looking faded and whitish so I used it on those and they are glossy black now as well.

We'll see how it holds up. But, so far so good.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I think that ANY finish or wax will have a limited life expectancy- RMP seems to have a longer life than most other finishes.

Folks have used RMP in harsh year-round Arizona sun with no yellowing or cracking, which would probably duplicate several years of exposure in a more moderate clime or when covered part of the year.

It appears to more or less wear off over time, just like other finishes. It can always be removed with the Red Max Pro Stripper if you aren't happy.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #64

Can the stripper be used if the wax is put on paint and didn't come out right?

Lowe's didn't have 3# but HD had ZEP "Wet Look" Floor Finish. I bought that and put it on the tail door of my enclosed trailer. I don't like the way it turned out and I want to strip it off. First off this stuff is like .05% milk. Is that what Max Pro is like? Will the stripper hurt the paint? I can't find anything around the house that will take it off. 100% ammonia won't touch it. Neither will straight Simple Green.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Can the stripper be used if the wax is put on paint and didn't come out right?

Lowe's didn't have 3# but HD had ZEP "Wet Look" Floor Finish. I bought that and put it on the tail door of my enclosed trailer. I don't like the way it turned out and I want to strip it off. First off this stuff is like .05% milk. Is that what Max Pro is like? Will the stripper hurt the paint? I can't find anything around the house that will take it off. 100% ammonia won't touch it. Neither will straight Simple Green.
I wonder how many coats of the finish you put on? Because each coat is thin, the first coat or two will look splotchy and bad; it seems to take 3, 4 or 5 coats to get the perfect gloss.

The Red Max Pro #3 is thin and slightly milky, yes. I used the stripper on drips on my painted stripes and it didn't affect the paint.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #66

I didn't count the coats, just kept putting it on, looking for the results I saw in some pics. It was well over 100°, so maybe it dried too fast???? Shoulda tested it on some scrap material. Guess I'll try the stripper.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #67

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
where o where

Does anybody have a bottle of RMP3 that will look at the bottle and send me the address of the manufactor.Lowes around me say they no longer going to carry it.
spinnaker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #68

Manufactured by: Fabricado Por:

Zep Inc.
1310 Seaboard Ind. Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30318

Questions: 1-888-805-4357
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #69

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalcon View Post
Manufactured by: Fabricado Por:

Zep Inc.
1310 Seaboard Ind. Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30318

Questions: 1-888-805-4357
Thanks. I guess maybe Zep is the same thing.
spinnaker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
I wonder how many coats of the finish you put on? Because each coat is thin, the first coat or two will look splotchy and bad; it seems to take 3, 4 or 5 coats to get the perfect gloss.

The Red Max Pro #3 is thin and slightly milky, yes. I used the stripper on drips on my painted stripes and it didn't affect the paint.
3 worked for me some places go 4 just because.
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote