Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #491

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I wouldn't get it on varnished wood, but it will strip the wax off paint but shouldn't harm painted or clear coated surfaces. I put the RMP#3 on the fiberglass, paint, decals, plastic mirrors and covers, it looks good.
I'm in the process of applying High Traffic now. The prep work is all done (whew!), 5 coats of Zep have been applied to both the front and rear, all that's left are the sides.

My quick question now is about rubber window trim. After (re)reading all 460 posts in this thread nobody has mentioned anything about rubber trim. I slopped a bit of ZEP on the rubber windshield molding when doing the front and I will either have to finish treating that molding or strip the ZEP off if it is not good for rubber trim.

Kind of need to know about rubber trims before hitting the sides, what with all the windows. It's nearly impossible to wipe around the trim without overlapping onto it here and there.

cheers...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #492

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
My quick question now is about rubber window trim. After (re)reading all 460 posts in this thread nobody has mentioned anything about rubber trim. I slopped a bit of ZEP on the rubber windshield molding when doing the front and I will either have to finish treating that molding or strip the ZEP off if it is not good for rubber trim.

Kind of need to know about rubber trims before hitting the sides, what with all the windows. It's nearly impossible to wipe around the trim without overlapping onto it here and there.

cheers...
I went ahead and put it on the rubber trim because it made it look so much better. It's been six months and I don't see any flaking or problems.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #493

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I went ahead and put it on the rubber trim because it made it look so much better. It's been six months and I don't see any flaking or problems.
Where I've slopped it on the rubber it certainly does look fabulous. I'm just concerned about the long-term elasticity. ZEP dries very hard and rubber is suppose to be... well, rubbery, flexible.

Actually without taping off the trim I don't know how one could NOT get some overlap, and concidering the dozens if not hundreds who have went through this process I suspect that ZEP simply gets wiped on pretty much all the exterior
Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #494

Thumbs up Red Max Pro #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
Where I've slopped it on the rubber it certainly does look fabulous. I'm just concerned about the long-term elasticity. ZEP dries very hard and rubber is suppose to be... well, rubbery, flexible.

Actually without taping off the trim I don't know how one could NOT get some overlap, and concidering the dozens if not hundreds who have went through this process I suspect that ZEP simply gets wiped on pretty much all the exterior
Actually, I applied it to all of my rubber 1 1/2 years ago and it still looks great, still pliable. I'm happy!
Trina30064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #495

After reading all of the success stories in this thread I bought some at the local Lowes, they had four gal left. We washed the old 94 Winnebago with TSP and applied 4 coats today before it got dark and all I can say is WOW!! The thing looks new, the wife and I were actually shocked. This new shine will surely help it sell quicker. Thanks to everyone for this thread.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #496

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1
This new shine will surely help it sell quicker. Thanks to everyone for this thread.
Put 2 more coats on and you'll probably keep it
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #497

3 more coats and John will buy it!

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #498

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
3 more coats and John will buy it!
I don't care who you are, that's funny right thar.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #499

Can't keep as we already bought a new one. I do wish I would known about this a few years ago so I could have enjoyed the new shine.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina30064 View Post
Actually, I applied it to all of my rubber 1 1/2 years ago and it still looks great, still pliable. I'm happy!
I did the same but made sure it was a very light coat 1 1/2 years ago also. Still does look great, still pliable too. And I'm definitely happy! Just finished a wash and my annual coating of Red Max. Still can't believe how awesome it looks!
Trina30064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #501

Getting my supplies together

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaycool View Post
Preparing the surface is the most important part, since anything left on the surface will be sealed under the Red Max Pro acrylic coating. Start by washing your motorhome as you normally would, making sure to include the roof, rinsing well from the top down.

Now, you want to remove any and all stains, soiling, oxidation, and chalkiness from the surface of the motorhome. Dip a white 3M scrubbie into water and then sprinkle Bar Keeper’s Friend on it. Scrub the surface of the motorhome, rinsing the scrubbie and re-applying the BKF often. Do small areas at a time, rinsing well with water and a sponge as you go.

The next step is to make sure that there is absolutely no remaining wax on the motorhome, since wax can cause the Red Max to peel. Mix up a bucket of TSP (1/2 cup) in water (2 gal), and wash the entire motorhome. You can use a carwash brush, a sponge, a pressure washer…anything you would normally use. Rinse well, and let the motorhome dry completely. You should be left with a clean and smooth (although dull) surface. Congrats, the prep-work is now complete!

Now for the easy part. Pour some Red Max Pro (RMP) into a shallow container (a pie pan works well). Fold a microfiber rag to about hand-sized, dip into the RMP (trust me, use gloves!), and squeeze out the excess. How much/how wet? You want it more than damp, but less than dripping. Now simply wipe down the surface of the motorhome with the wet rag. Don’t try to over-apply; just wet the surface (imagine wiping a layer of dust off with a wet rag). Work your way all the way around the motorhome. RMP will dry quickly; by the time you’ve gone all the way around, it will be dry and you can immediately start on the next coat.

That first coat will likely look really bad; streaky, shiny in some places, dull in others…don’t panic. Each additional coat will even it out and start to build up a deep layer of shine. By coat 3, you will be grinning ear to ear. And coat 4 will be the icing on the cake.

Things (I learned) to keep in mind:

-Don’t use colored microfiber rags unless they have been laundered, as the color may bleed.

-Be careful around window frames, locks, latches, etc., as the RMP will have a tendency to gather and cause runs. Watch for runs and give them a quick wipe before they start to “set up”.

-Some older, deteriorated graphics may “bleed” color onto the rag. Watch for this and change or re-fold your rag so you don’t spread that color onto other parts of the MH. This should only occur with the first coat, as the RMP will then “seal” the graphics up. Subsequent coats will not have the problem.

-After each coat, go around and open/operate all hatches, locks, catches, etc. The acrylic (RMP) coating will sort of “glue” them closed.
Thanks for all the details. I want to clarify what the 3M white scrubbie is so that I don't use the wrong one. Is it basically a sponge? below is a link to a 3m Scotch-Brite non scratch tub & shower. Want to make sure I don't over do it or under do it. Scotch-Brite Scrubber, Tub & Shower
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #502

Gulf Streamers Club
You don't need the handle. This is what I used:

Non-Scratch Scrub Sponge (3-Pack)-MP-3-12-CC at The Home Depot

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #503

Monaco Owners Club
My local Lowes (Windward Pkwy in Alpharetta, GA) is closing out Red Max Pro #3 for $1 per gallon. There is about 20 gallons there as of 4PM today.

Paul
pwhittle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #504

MyLowe's was out when this thread first started.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote