Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

Red Max question

I have a 35 foot Georgie boy that I want to use red max 3 on. I have read many posts and think this is the way to go. I have spent countless $ on wax. I don't think the previous owner ever waxed it.
Question 1 - will the TSP hurt the painted surfaces,windows or anything else it gets on. I only want to Red Max the fiberglass and use standard wax on the paint.

Question 2 - can I do the RV in sections? I want to do the nose cap and rear cap first, but will I mess up the front and rear by cleaning the sides later?

poppiegary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did my whole coach three times one week end and never had any issues. I did keep it off the glass but did do the frames of the windows and they look new. I see no problem doing what you have planned. I will note that I did do my lower painted storage doors and they as well look good. I just moved the coach and was looking at the overall job done last year and I don't think it needs anything done this year, it looks like a well maintained unit with a good gloss. Just be sure you clean very good. What is left behind will be sealed under the Red Pro Max. Good luck and post before and after pictures. I wish I had, but didn't take the time.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

As you want to put it on with a micro fiber cloth wiping up drips on glass is easy. My rig looked like it had never seen wax even the paint was chalky I covered it all. I did mine over a period of weeks due to weather and had no problems.
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Red Max

My Home Depot said they were no longer going to sell Red Max.Its made by ZEP so they must have one also.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The TSP should not be applied directly to the glass, possibility of etching.

Zep high traffic or high gloss is the goto now.

I used high traffic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	35889  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #6

Thanks guys I am going to do this as soon as the weather breaks. I was worried about the TSP on the glass, I may try another cleaner.
poppiegary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #7

Question Question from new comer ???

So we just purchased a 2007 Allegro, which has been pretty much left to the elements on the outside. The graphics are cracked and faded on the passenger side, more than the driver's.

I have a couple of questions about the Red Max or the Zep. Is this a water base product ? How do you clean up after the application. I checked at two local Lowes and they don't stock it anymore, so where do I buy it ?

A couple of the graphic are breaking down and seem to wash off like a paper breaking down ? Will this product seal them up and bring back the color ? I tried a little car wax in one small spot and it turned sort of white ? Don't want to do that with this project.

Thanks
Bill
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
So we just purchased a 2007 Allegro, which has been pretty much left to the elements on the outside. The graphics are cracked and faded on the passenger side, more than the driver's.

I have a couple of questions about the Red Max or the Zep. Is this a water base product ? How do you clean up after the application. I checked at two local Lowes and they don't stock it anymore, so where do I buy it ?

A couple of the graphic are breaking down and seem to wash off like a paper breaking down ? Will this product seal them up and bring back the color ? I tried a little car wax in one small spot and it turned sort of white ? Don't want to do that with this project.

Thanks
Bill
Graphics seem pretty bad for that new a coach, mine is a 96 and they were not disintegrating. Anyway, the Zep will seal and make them shiny, I trimmed edges in a couple of places where they were a little frayed. Do a couple of coats on the graphics first to seal them so you don't drag color from them on to areas you don't want it. Then just do every thing at the same time for 3-5 coats, more is better. Clean-up is not worth the trouble, use throw away aluminum pans, I used pie pans, and toss the rags. I think Home Depot has it, ask for Zep, I believe the Red Max is history. I have seen all the ZEP floor strippers etc. at our SAM's but not the waxes, go figure . My graphics looked a little chalky in some areas but came out shiny. BTW I did not use the ZEP on my baggage doors, just car wax, no reason other than caution with the paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	36137  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #9

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx
Graphics seem pretty bad for that new a coach, mine is a 96 and they were not disintegrating.
I agree, they should be in better shape, but the fact is they are not. I talked to Tiffin and they can get me replacements, but if this process works, maybe I won't need them.

From reading the posts, it sounds like a lot of work getting the surface ready, but the results look great. Have to get started on it right away.

I'll post some pictures of the before and after,

Here are a couple of pictures of the problem area...

Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG6643.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	36145   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG6644.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	36146  

Name:	CIMG6645.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	36147   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG6646.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	36148  

Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I agree, they should be in better shape, but the fact is they are not. I talked to Tiffin and they can get me replacements, but if this process works, maybe I won't need them.

From reading the posts, it sounds like a lot of work getting the surface ready, but the results look great. Have to get started on it right away.

I'll post some pictures of the before and after,

Here are a couple of pictures of the problem area...

Bill
I will be curious to see how you make out, I doubt the "cracks" go away but the Zep might bleed some color into them. If you are real serious about replacing the graphics $$$, I would check with the vinyl people who do the vehicle and boat wraps.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #11

One more question ? I see that use of Bar Keeper's Friend and scratch pads in the process. Do you use that ALL over the RV or just on the streaks ?? Seems like using it all over would be lots of work and hard to get it off.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
One more question ? I see that use of Bar Keeper's Friend and scratch pads in the process. Do you use that ALL over the RV or just on the streaks ?? Seems like using it all over would be lots of work and hard to get it off.
I used the Bar Keepers with a 3M Scotchbrite on the badly oxidized areas, (the dark gray lower area) and Bar Keepers on magic erasers on the streaks and used the magic eraser with Dawn over the entire unit. My unit had been sitting out for the past ten years, the fiberglass was pretty exposed and rough/pourus.
Take a look at my post, "Zep Wetlook Project" post to see the before/after, just make sure to click on the post with the picutures, not the one I messed up one.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiegary View Post
Thanks guys I am going to do this as soon as the weather breaks. I was worried about the TSP on the glass, I may try another cleaner.
The TSP will not harm your windows at all.

Quote:

When I was done I put the rags I used in a water bucket and let them soak and then I wahsed them with dawn. They are as soft as they began. I also used a spray bottle and not the dip and wipe method, this elimiated runs for the most part.

Before you put your first coat take a rag and use it to apply a single coat over the graphics to seal them. After this is done you can coat the entire coach at one time.

Quote:
The prep is the msot important part of the process. If you do not remove all the old way the Zep will not bond and it will start to flake and turn yellow. I used the BKF and TSP on the entire coach. I also used the rough part of the Scotch Bright Pads on the entire coach. Even the painted parts.

Make sure youw ash the coach very well before applying, including the roof. Here is what I used:

Before:

After:

Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found later on that COMET worked very well on the streaks.