Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Remodeling our '77 Xplorer 306

Hello all! My wife and I have inherited a 1977 Xplorer 306 and are currently remodeling it. We want to keep it vintage but I'm having a really hard time finding any information or pictures on this particular model.

Any help, advice, pics, etc. will be greatly appreciated! We still haven't figured out how to use the tables or the shade!!

We have 3 grandchildren who all play travel ball (softball, baseball, and basketball). We're really hoping to have her up and running in time for spring ball!!!

Kyme~
only1kyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

I'm guessing that it sits on something like a Dodge M300 chassis. There is alot of Dodge motorhome info over at Travcoforum.com if you don't find what your looking for here.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about some pics of your rig and maybe some of the people here will have a better idea. Pictures really help them to see if they can help you.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #4

And... Welcome to irv2!!!
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

I'll post some soon! Thank you!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

Our baby...

Here are a few pics of her....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150803_181803.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	116349   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150805_170957.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	116350  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150805_171826.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	116351   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150805_171254.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	116352  

Old 01-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #7

Beautiful! Really nice looking design. Thanks for posting the photos. I'm afraid I don't know much about it but you can be sure someone here does!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I like the overall look and feel but it looks like there's only fold out couches for sleeping arrangements.

I don't think I would ever want to give up my full sized bed like I have in my current MH. If I had what you had and I would be living out of it that would be the change that would be at the top of my personal wishlist.

wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

I think the Xplorer looks pretty darn sweet. I'm a vintage 70's kind of guy so I tend to love anything original from that period. I hope you restore/refurbish it and keep it original. I always think its such a shame when somebody strips the RV of it's personality and does something awful like slather the interior in white paint.....like a lobotomy! Good luck and keep us posted of whatever changes you make or maintenance plans for it!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
I think the Xplorer looks pretty darn sweet. I'm a vintage 70's kind of guy so I tend to love anything original from that period. I hope you restore/refurbish it and keep it original. I always think its such a shame when somebody strips the RV of it's personality and does something awful like slather the interior in white paint.....like a lobotomy! Good luck and keep us posted of whatever changes you make or maintenance plans for it!
I hate covering wood grain with ugly white paint. Honestly I hate modern "style" in general since it's so antiseptic and soulless. I do like granite and stainless steel though. I can't imagine using granite in an rv though due to the weight.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
I hate covering wood grain with ugly white paint.
It doesn't have to be white. You can use strong bold colors and make a small space appear visually larger if you use the right design principles. RV interiors aren't beautiful design statements; they've always been done to appeal to the masses using whatever is in style at the moment, and often times they're downright ugly. If you want to make it comfortable and useful to you, then make whatever upgrades and changes you like. Let an RV collector restore old ones. I personally don't want to live in a period museum unless it's a classic, contemporary look like Don Draper in Mad Men. I'm not at all interested in reviving the clownish style of big lapels and polyester pantsuits of Ted Baxter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Mine is a 1986 model. There wasn't a plain colored surface anywhere inside. Floral, tweed, stripe, abstract geometrics, in addition to generic brown patterned imitation oak wood grained walls. Gold toned metal cabinet pulls. Rose velour and turquoise upholstery. Really. This was considered stylish 30 years ago. Today, just U-G-L-Y.

Not everything is worth keeping. Make it your own and don't look back. Restoring all the horrible design choices isn't going to make your rig more valuable. A decades old RV is still an old RV. It's like having an old house and an old car all in one.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Everyone has their own tastes. I just happen to like the retro look and always liked wood grain and brass.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #13

Thank you! We're only the 3rd owners and she only has 40K miles. The first owners only used her to tailgate at Alabama games - only about 1 - 1.5 hrs away. My Mom and Step-Dad had it next and they mostly used it to stay in on weekends while building their house. They didn't take her on many trip or take her very far. She's just been sitting in their backyard. We still need to power wash the outside - but just a plain washing of the sides made a HUGE difference. The inside is still in great shape. The cabinet doors aren't real wood and have some damage but a family member is making new ones for us. We're planning to pull the carpet up and put hardwood type floors down. But we want to stay with the 70's theme in decorating. We have 3 grandchildren who all play travel ball so that's what we'll use her for now and when we retire, they'll be playing college ball so we're just going to use her to go to their games - where ever they may be. LOL And spend a lot of time at the beach.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #14

Limited sleeping options

Quote:
I like the overall look and feel but it looks like there's only fold out couches for sleeping arrangements.

I don't think I would ever want to give up my full sized bed like I have in my current MH. If I had what you had and I would be living out of it that would be the change that would be at the top of my personal wishlist.
You're right - only 2 fold out couches for sleeping. I don't like that either but I'm not sure how to change it. The bathroom is at the very back and there really isn't a place to put a bedroom. I would love to put a bunk bed above one of the couches to give extra sleeping space and somehow we'll figure out how to at least make the couch bed that we'll sleep on extra comfortable. **THANK YOU FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS!!! I truly appreciate the input. I'm so glad I found this site and forum! I'd been having such a hard time finding any info!!

Tags
ideas needed, remodel, vintage motorhomes, vintage remodel