Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:30 AM   #1

Removal of Dinette and adding something that would give us much more functionality

This project has been one of the things Lori and I have talk about since we purchased our RV. We did not like the Dinette and we never used it for it's intended purpose. We have our chair in the main cabin and that is where we eat. The Dinette only seem to do was collect junk. So we decided to take out the Dinette and add something that would give us much more functionality.

Here is a before shot:

Ended up with this:

This was a fun 2 day project that has been months in the making. LOt of planing and getting all the parts together, but well worth it in the end.

3tailsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very nice

Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tailsrv View Post
The Dinette only seem to do was collect junk
Looks like the other way around.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Looks like the other way around.
That's what I'm thinking.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
That's what I'm thinking.
Yah well we live in our RV full time hard to do projects and live in the RV ate the same time.
3tailsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
bap

i hear ya,,,our first rv we full timed in it as we resored it,,,,,i understand how cramped it can get...-----the dinnet looked very nice but i dont think it would have held up to what your cabnets will,,,,and if it suits your needs thats what matters....
.....nice job from what i can see....
Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #7

I want to remove ours and put in another sofa. Then eat outside or on folding tables.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
bap

after looking,,,,iu got an idea from your set up for something i may do,,,--where the dinette is build a pantry like terry did only add a drop down table for eating or sitting then while traveling it folds up to hold stuff in place,,,hmmm,,hmmm-----thanks guy,s ..
Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks great! I love seeing RV mods.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
bap

after all,,,,we can build them to suit our needs,,,,,just like a jeep or truck,,we buy them then build them the way we use them---im sure you jeep owners know what im talking about---i need at least 3 1-rock crawler 1-mud bogger-and 1 for everyday driving,,,lol...---same with our RV,S we build them the way we use them...dont let anyone knock ya for not being original---unless thats what you want...
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

I have an '82 Holiday Rambler TT. We were remodeling it to live in full time, and like you did not find the dinette suitable. we took it out and replaced it with a triple dresser we found in a second hand shop. I have pics, but do not know how to post.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #12
bap

to post pics click on go advanced and at the top u will see a paper clip hit that and brows your photos then upload to post--- that easy...
Old 08-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice job on the MOD. You are correct. When you have limited space It's all about form VS function. That is your final form based on your function. Sometime the RV interior designers just don't understand the function aspect of it. They are trying to set them up for a variety of different needs.

We've had 6 different RV units and never found any of the booth dinettes very comfortable or functional. On our current MH we ordered and finally had an option to not have a booth dinette. We ordered it with the pull out table & 4 chairs. The four chairs were two nicely padded fixed chairs and two fold up padded chairs. For the first 9,000 miles we stored the folded chairs and used the fixed padded chairs and were happy.

While in FL last spring we met up with another RVer we had conversed with on these forums. They have the same unit only 2 years older. They showed us that the two fold up chairs, which we stored below our bed but never used, were very comfortable. So when we got home we took the two fixed chairs into the S&B and got out the fold up chairs. Now while traveling we have more walking room through the middle. There's more room for the dogs bed on the floor. The two fold up chairs are laying on the rear bed and can be easily set up if we stop for lunch. They can also be leaned up behind the two front seats. We prefer to keep them on the bed while traveling.

The MH is now even more suited to our needs. In defense of WBGO they do now make a very, very comfortable and convertible type of booth dinette. We looked at it while doing the factory tour. The biggest down side is the setup will seat as many as 6-8 or even 10 for dinner. When in heavens name are we (just us) ever going to have 8-10 people inside the MH setting around the dinner table??? Probably never. If we had that many people we'd be outside at a CG table or in lounge chairs.

When we camp with the WBGO club of AR we will have as many as 16-20+ setting outside around fold up tables playing card games in the evenings. Great fun, but I don't want even half that many in our MH.

TeJay
Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #14

Hmmmm. Interesting mod doing away with the dinette. But I started wondering about resale without some kind of a dining table. But I will admit it's different.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal