Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Removing a Norcold 482

My Old fridge is shot, rusty inside, ammonia leak, looks ugly and dated etc etc etc

Plan to pull it out and replace it with a straight 115 V apartment size unit.

How do you get it out? Is the question. On the back I see two screws that secure it to the floor and on the inside I guess there are a few screws behind the trim holding it to the walls

How do I start?

I know the obvious, gotta disconnect the gas line and plug it and I gotta disconnect the electric. What about the chimney stuff and will it fit out the door or do I have to remove the doors to get it out

Home depot has a really nice but slightly smaller 4.5 cu ft 2 door SS unit for 218.00 with glass shelves and reversible doors, it is even energy star qualified.

I can frame in the opening difference.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #2

Two screws usually in back, maybe up to eight on the inside edges.
Gas line plugged off and leak checked, 120V, 12V, and water line if you have it.
That's it.

After that, take it out as a unit, don't take the cooling unit off unless you have to.
I don't know if you have to take your doors off. The only time we've done that is because it was a 1200/side by side/four door unit.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #3

Replacing Fridge

I posted this yesterday, I hope it helps. It also lets you know what to do with the vent & propane line.

I replaced my Dominic Refrigerator with a Whirlpool 9.7 cu ft purchased at Lowes on my 89 Sportscoach IV. It works 100% better that the old RV fridge. I use a inverter to run it when not plugged in or running my Generator. I re framed the floor, removed the rubber feet on the Fridge, and screwed the unit to the floor thru the rubber mount holes. I foamed around the unit to secure and seal, installed brown door molding around the interior opening and it looks like it belongs there. I had to trim 1/2 inch on the side wall framed opening , but other than that it was a easy install, and done for under $400. I left the outside vent in place for cooling the Fridge, and to access the plug in, as well as getting to the propane connection. The added bonus was that I installed a quick connect to the propane line to run my gas grill. If you search the forum, you will see that there are many RVers that have done this conversion, and are as happy as I am with the finished result. Good Luck.
poorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #4

When I took my Dometic 1300 out to replace the cooling unit, my original plans were to take the whole refrigerator to RV Refrigeration and let them remove, fix, and replace the cooling unit. However, no matter how I tried I could not get it out the door. It was about 1/2" too wide. I removed the cooling unit while it was laying on the motorhome floor. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Even without the cooling unit, I could not get it out the door. The bottom bracket was too wide. I'm sure if I removed the motorhome door, it would fit, but I was very hesitant to do that. It would have been easier to remove a window. In the end I just took the cooling unit and had it overhauled and reinstalled it myself. It works good as new. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorgreg View Post
I posted this yesterday, I hope it helps. It also lets you know what to do with the vent & propane line.

I replaced my Dominic Refrigerator with a Whirlpool 9.7 cu ft purchased at Lowes on my 89 Sportscoach IV. It works 100% better that the old RV fridge. I use a inverter to run it when not plugged in or running my Generator. I re framed the floor, removed the rubber feet on the Fridge, and screwed the unit to the floor thru the rubber mount holes. I foamed around the unit to secure and seal, installed brown door molding around the interior opening and it looks like it belongs there. I had to trim 1/2 inch on the side wall framed opening , but other than that it was a easy install, and done for under $400. I left the outside vent in place for cooling the Fridge, and to access the plug in, as well as getting to the propane connection. The added bonus was that I installed a quick connect to the propane line to run my gas grill. If you search the forum, you will see that there are many RVers that have done this conversion, and are as happy as I am with the finished result. Good Luck.
When I was looking for a used RV I saw several that had replaced
the original refrigerators with small apartment 120V units. I have a few friends with them in their coaches as well and everyone is happy. What I hear is they cool faster, stay cold longer, look better and the only downside I have heard is the sound of the Compressor cycling on and off during the night.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Fridge Sounds

I can only hear mine if I am right next to it without any A/C OF fans running, and then just barely. I think it has to do with the cooling fins are on the back of the fridge which allowed me to insulate foam around the front sides, top and bottom. I did not have to leave a air gap under the fridge, the original side and roof vent provide more than enough air circulation and no drafts coming under the unit. My ice cream stays frozen, and more importantly my beverages are ice cold even in 95 degree temps.
poorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
no matter how I tried I could not get it out the door. It was about 1/2" too wide.
When we removed our refrigerator, it was much too wide. We took off the door frame and it was still 1/2" too wide. We laid the refrigerator on its back and the lip that surrounded the front face of the refrigerator (that prevented the refer from sliding too far into the installation opening) was now horizontal and we were able to cut two slots - left and right in the door opening. That let the refer slide through, with the front face lip sliding through those slots. When the door frame was replaced, it almost completely covered the two slots we'd cut. Some silicon sealant closed them up perfectly/ invisibly.
Sportscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscoach View Post
When we removed our refrigerator, it was much too wide. We took off the door frame and it was still 1/2" too wide. We laid the refrigerator on its back and the lip that surrounded the front face of the refrigerator (that prevented the refer from sliding too far into the installation opening) was now horizontal and we were able to cut two slots - left and right in the door opening. That let the refer slide through, with the front face lip sliding through those slots. When the door frame was replaced, it almost completely covered the two slots we'd cut. Some silicon sealant closed them up perfectly/ invisibly.
What refr? What RV?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My fridge went, a 22 year old one. I have read all the good and bad about RV fridges, I debated on the house type or a new Dometic. I probably should not have as it was horribly expensive but I got another Dometic. They didn't have any trouble getting it out, just sideways. I read how so many don't get cold enough, my old one did till it died. I started the new one out and put in a thermometer, had it up to the coldest. Now I have been able to turn it down from the 5 to a 3 and the freezer is still very cold and freezes meat easily. I need to put in ice cream and see how it does.

I still prefer to have the gas and electric automatically come on when needed instead of trying to remember it. I don't know how many times I've forgotten to make sure my ice maker is on to keep the ice frozen, its a stand alone electric, just to many things to think of already, but I sure hated to spend the money.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
The last time I had to remove a NORCOLD to replace the cooling unit, I removed the side (salon) window from my 1989 27' Mallard Sprinter. Doing this seemed far easier than removing the door.
94 Rexhall Aerbus [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
77Ti_o_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know it has been awhile since the OP asked, but when I took my 482 Norcold out of my '93 Vectra, I had to remove the roof vent to remove 2 screws holding the upper rear of the unit to a piece of strapping. I found that was needed after it would only move an inch or so. Maybe this will help someone.
Charlie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
removing the dead fridge

Step 1 unplug ac
Step 2 remove/plug gas line
Step 3 remove water/drain lines
Step 4 the fun part, insert sawzall cut into manageable size pieces and remove
Step 5 enjoy cold beverage and admire how easy that was
Step 6 replace with house fridge
Step 7 enjoy cold beverage and admire how easy that was
Step 8 finish trim around new fridge and plug in
Step 9 fill with beverage and when cold enjoy !!!
Step 10 it really was that easy and fun (see step 4)
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold