Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #29

Exit other than a lot of cuts to make, the floor wasn't hard to lay at all. I didn't have to redo the subfloor. It holds up well so far but gets dirty quick I have to get a rug for the inside and one for the outside to keep down the dirt.

TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDubs View Post
Hello all, we recently got a 1982 Winnebago Brave Series. It's 22ft, has a Chevy 6.2L diesel engine and approx 67,000 miles. We're renovating the inside and will eventually add solar panels and a WVO (waste veggie oil) conversion with a second tank.

Here's our Flickr set showing the entire progress:
Benny the Brave - a set on Flickr

My wife hasn't updated the photos recently (she's wants to save the best for the "wow" affect).

Here's a couple before pics:

We started inside, removing cabinets, countertops, carpet, vinyl wallpapering, etc. Gave everything a really deep clean (you wouldn't believe the orange cigarette sludge that came off the walls and cabinets!). We fixed some water damaged panels on the ceiling and added some cabinets where a microwave was.

We built storage above the cab, where a bed had been originally (it was long gone when we got it). We intend to use baskets to hold some of our kids toys, games etc. Here's a photo just after painting:

We painted everything white to make it brighter and make the space seem bigger. We painted two of the cupboards with chalkboard paint although I'm not sure how it will work (it was a pain) and we painted the panels on the fridge with magnetic paint. I'm not sure if it will be strong enough once we start driving though!

We also laid wood laminate flooring, relaminated the countertops, and redid the shower walls with FRP.

My wife is making new curtains, seat cushion covers and making small padded pockets to hold laptops on the sides of the bench seats. I still have to seal the roof, add the solar panels and have the WVO conversion done.

Most of our materials were bought from salvage or acquired for free, except fabrics.

Our goal is to make this tiny space our new home for a year or more as we travel the country full-time. We're pretty excited.

Once we have more photos I'll be sure to update the thread.

Looking forward to participating on the forum more.

Justin
I love it. Our 1st MH was a 1984 Brave with a 454 engine which we bought in 1991 and we have never appreciated any of our newer ones as much since. It was bullet proof and its previous owner devoted much time and money making it as modern as possible. We finally had a huge tire blowout which ripped a 4 square foot hole in the floor, took out the generator electrics, the new refrigerator and part of the auto leveling system. We couldn't justify the huge expense of making repairs so replaced the tire and traded it in. Otherwise, we would have kept it for ever or, at least until the grand kids started coming along. Anyway we love the old er campers of all types and would like to know how we find out when and where they may occasionally meet to display them. Jim & Nona

Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #31

I agree Jim and Nona, I wonder if there is a vintage RV rally? I love older things, there very reliable, and have so much character. This week Im starting on my strait veggie oil conversion.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
You adding a second tank system and heater to your rig Dubs?
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #33

Yes I am I took measurements, and sent them off hopefully I'll get the tank this week that way I can get started.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #34

We have a Winnebago Brave 27' 6.2L Diesel and love it.
I like what you did to yours. We are working on ours slowly and hope to replace the flooring this summer.
Did you by any chance take out the dash.
I need to replace the heater motor which is on the passenger side under the dash and have not been able to figure out how the dash comes out.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Peter V
Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #35

No I haven't taken out the hole dash. But I have had the radio and most of the gauges out when I did the veg conversion. Are you sure its the motor because my blower motor wouldn't run either. It turns out it was the solenoid. What year is your brave Vanderstelt? Did you try taking the glove box out?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #36

Ours is also an 1982 27 ft.
The heater / AC motor starts screaming from time to time. Almost sounds like lack of lubrication. I took a couple of the defroster vents off and could see the heater motor just under the top of the dash on passenger side.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:20 AM   #37

Hi I too am rebuilding my 22' Brave they are rare I found 3 and the one I bought was not in use for over seven years since the original motor was siezed at only 29,000 miles. The roof leaked a bit so getting rid of mold is priority one after fixing most of the mechanical failures. Hopefully she be ready soon.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #38

Hey you guys, I am a new member and just ran across your posts. I have just purchased a 1983 brave with a 454. Interior needs some help especially the ceiling. did you end up posting more pics. I sure would like to see what you ended up doing to the inside. Can you tell me how you repaired your ceiling?
Thank you for any information. Take care...
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnlane View Post
Hey you guys, I am a new member and just ran across your posts. I have just purchased a 1983 brave with a 454. Interior needs some help especially the ceiling. did you end up posting more pics. I sure would like to see what you ended up doing to the inside. Can you tell me how you repaired your ceiling?
Thank you for any information. Take care...
I too want to see what you did with the ceiling don't have a Winnie but I do have ceiling stains from a big leak

Tags
diy, paint, renovations, solar, waste veggie oil