Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

Renovating our 1982 Winnebago Brave (22ft)

Hello all, we recently got a 1982 Winnebago Brave Series. It's 22ft, has a Chevy 6.2L diesel engine and approx 67,000 miles. We're renovating the inside and will eventually add solar panels and a WVO (waste veggie oil) conversion with a second tank.

Here's our Flickr set showing the entire progress:
Benny the Brave - a set on Flickr

My wife hasn't updated the photos recently (she's wants to save the best for the "wow" affect).

Here's a couple before pics:

We started inside, removing cabinets, countertops, carpet, vinyl wallpapering, etc. Gave everything a really deep clean (you wouldn't believe the orange cigarette sludge that came off the walls and cabinets!). We fixed some water damaged panels on the ceiling and added some cabinets where a microwave was.

We built storage above the cab, where a bed had been originally (it was long gone when we got it). We intend to use baskets to hold some of our kids toys, games etc. Here's a photo just after painting:

We painted everything white to make it brighter and make the space seem bigger. We painted two of the cupboards with chalkboard paint although I'm not sure how it will work (it was a pain) and we painted the panels on the fridge with magnetic paint. I'm not sure if it will be strong enough once we start driving though!

We also laid wood laminate flooring, relaminated the countertops, and redid the shower walls with FRP.

My wife is making new curtains, seat cushion covers and making small padded pockets to hold laptops on the sides of the bench seats. I still have to seal the roof, add the solar panels and have the WVO conversion done.

Most of our materials were bought from salvage or acquired for free, except fabrics.

Our goal is to make this tiny space our new home for a year or more as we travel the country full-time. We're pretty excited.

Once we have more photos I'll be sure to update the thread.

Looking forward to participating on the forum more.

Justin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #2

Great looking old timer ! They have got so much character. Looks & sounds like you have done alot of work on your pride and joy. Look forward to seeing the finished shots

We will be doing some renovation/remodelling on our 87 bounder. Making my own dinette booth (old one had a broken booth seat one side and ripped the whole dinette out to fit our daughters pack & play crib in its place!) Now that we are moving and wanting to get it back into shape we need the dinette.Some painting and reworking to come!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looks like a fun project. Can't wait to see the full set of 'after' photos.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #4

It has been a great project, and a learning experience at that. I started scraping all the old and cracked paint and sealant off of the roof today. Finally found the snow roof stuff at ace hardware. And picked up the eternabond for the seams last week. I am a little iffy on all the old stuff on the roof though, some of it i was able to scrape down to the metal and in other spots down to the first and second layer of snow roof that was on there. I wonder if it would be ok to go over the old layers that i can't get off with the new stuff?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #5

Very cool,
Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #6

It can be neat and rewarding for those with the tools and talent, to find a basically sound "Diamond in the rough", and breath new life into it! Yours is looking great, and bound to bring you and your family MUCH enjoyment - thanks for sharing - and we'll be watching for further updates!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #7

I just finished scraping more of the roof, and cleaning if really well. I put down the eternabond, and elastomeric caulking around all of the pipes and vents. Tommorow after work i'll start putting on the first coat of snow roof.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #8

A MH with the GM 6.2 Diesel is pretty rare. A great source for information on this engine is The Diesel Pages TheDieselPage.com Forums This is primarily truck oriented, but they offer excellent trouble shooting guides and manuals.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #9

Thanks George for showing me that sight. It looks like it will be very helpful.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #10

Oh and just for a update, I finished the roof yesterday. I ended up putting 3 coats of snow roof on over a 4 day period. It looks great, but the big test is today to see if I have any leaks. I took the mh to get it smogged yesterday and also got it reg. The wife is finished with half of the curtains and is working on the seat cushions this weekend. I'll bug her to take some new pics so I can update.

I have some minor painting to do, get new batteries, solar panels, new brakes, new tires, new shocks, and a trip to the mechanic for a new power steering pump. And then its time for our first venture.

Im so excited, im thinking of going to death valley and checking out scottys castle.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #11

Just to keep you guys updated. I got new tires all around yesterday. Found the shocks today and installed the fronts and am waiting on the rear and the damper, they should be in tommorow. The wife finished the cushions and scotch garded them yesterday, and she also finished most of the curtains. Checked the brakes out it looks like the front pads are ok. but the rear needs to be replaced along with the drums, and the drums are a bit pricey so I might see if i can get by. Hopefully ill have some picks for you guys soon.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, where's those updated photos? We're all anxious to see finished Bago.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #13

Im waiting on the wife she's the photographer. Im really anxious to get it finished too!!!

Justin
Old 12-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #14

Well on to the engine stuff, I took the gas pump of today cause it was leaking oil due to the gasket failing. Now its leaking stinkin gas so i might have to replace it. Got new belts on. And a new power steering pump but that seams to leak a lil to. Not havin to much luck today. Better luck tommorow Guess.

TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, paint, renovations, solar, waste veggie oil