Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Was actually thinking that ourselves, looking at how much more expensive anything with the "RV" tag on it is!

While I'm building up confidence to tackle the rear wall and all the plumbing heres a shot of one of our earlier mods. As the original Norcold 3 way fridge bit the dust we put in a regular household one from Lowes.Yeah not a 3 way and not true RV but it fits and works very well.

Also heres the shot of the rear inner wall of the coach.See how the inner panel has dropped and needs sorting out. Vanishes behind the cabinet & sink *yay*. Luckily we want to replace the original/tired sink and a nicer looking cabinet, so will be making a new one.

Man - that sure reveals a bunch about the quality of the original construction - must have been one of those "Monday" assembled units - while the construction crew was recovering from their weekend hangover...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #16

Update time.

Sorry progress has been slow but finally stripped out the old sink & cabinet and also part of the inner rear wall . Still some behind the wardrobe and shower/bath but the bath side appears fine .As the wardrobe is all rotten at the bottom due to leaks thats being replaced so its find out what the rest of the wall is like.

Now for the wall I have investigated... not good. The rear wall appears to have been constructed out of plywood sandwiching styrofoam insulation pieces and horizontal metal box tubing ,with wood & metal box cross bracing.

Metal is well rusty but not rusted through, plywood either side is totally rotten/black & wet . Peeling off the rotten wood,removing the insulation can see the reverse side of the outside fiberglass/gel coat ! luckily thats in good condition . So plan is to gut all the rotten wood rustproof the metal tubing and get some more modern insulation.

Pictures to follow.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #17

Picture time !

Heres what the bathroom/toilet looks like after the cabinet and sink had been removed.

and heres a closer look at the wall. As you can see the plywood layers that should be either side of the insulation & metal frame are just totally wet/rotten :( The metal frame is very rusty but still pretty thick with no holes or weak spots.

The reverse side of the outer fiberglass body panel is visible.Being the pale brown color with remnants of the plywood stuck to it in places. As we will be replacing the wardrobe it wont matter ripping it out to get to the rest of the back wall.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Restoration projects. You never know where they'll lead you. Been there. I do enjoy watching someone else's journey.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #19

Oh the joys of renovating.
TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Paul, have you figured out where the water was coming from that is causing the damage? Is it from a bad joint in the hot & cold lines?
Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVee'r View Post
Paul, have you figured out where the water was coming from that is causing the damage? Is it from a bad joint in the hot & cold lines?
Bob
Hi Bob , most of the water has come from where the toilet has leaked over many years with previous owners. The water heater has leaked for a good while too. By the looks of it there is water trickling down from possibly around the rear window frame. Possibly even the metal bracing that goes over the joints of the outer body panels may be letting water in to. So all this combined has kept the plywood constantly wet over Many Many years.

It will be repaired to a good standard so it can give us a good few more years service , but with a growing family will end up with something newer. So you begin to think just how far do you go with these restorations.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
Was actually thinking that ourselves, looking at how much more expensive anything with the "RV" tag on it is!

While I'm building up confidence to tackle the rear wall and all the plumbing heres a shot of one of our earlier mods. As the original Norcold 3 way fridge bit the dust we put in a regular household one from Lowes.Yeah not a 3 way and not true RV but it fits and works very well.

Also heres the shot of the rear inner wall of the coach.See how the inner panel has dropped and needs sorting out. Vanishes behind the cabinet & sink *yay*. Luckily we want to replace the original/tired sink and a nicer looking cabinet, so will be making a new one.

Just wondering how you mounted the new fridge??
I'm thinking of doing the same, putting in a house fridge in my '85 Fleetwood Southwind.

The three way units are so expensive!

Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From your picures, that gray pipe looks like quest. If it is you might want to get rid of all of it you can. Quest was outlawed becaused it was so sorry about leaking and getting pin holes. Pex is the way to go. You can run it around corners and places where hard pipe won't go. Just a thought. Good luck, looks like you are ahead of the game already!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan22 View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same, putting in a house fridge in my '85 Fleetwood Southwind.

Thanks
Jeff
And how about a model # on the fridge?

Mike
Old 04-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan22 View Post

Thanks
Jeff
Hi Jeff , didnt actually fit it myself but watched our friendly RV mechanic fit it in. Its a regular one from Lowes (Model # ETOMSRXTQ01 serial # VSY0803474 )

All he did was extract the old monster 3-way leaving behind an empty cupboard almost with a large base inside . Using a circular saw to trim the opening back abit and the fridge was a nice tight squeeze into the opening. Gaining access to the rear of the fridge from the outside flap on the motorhome then screwed the fridge to the base of the shelf.

This particular fridge is a 10 cubic feet one , this one is a good choice as its big enough for a family but also because it would fit inplace of the original norcold, plus the biggest thing was with the doors off the new fridge it was a perfect fit through the entrance door to the coach!!!
Any bigger and we would of had to of removed the door and its frame from the Bounder.

The fridge was $300 .

Hope this helps Jeff & Mike.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #26

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #27

Thanks,
I just fitted my "new" gently used apartment sized fridge in place, bolted it down and framed in the sides to keep it tight. I used a child safety lock on the door to keep it from opening while traveling.

Hey $50 on the local craigslist and I have cold beer again WHOOHOO