Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

Renovation of the Coach without a Name

New to us "Coachmen Royal". Us being me, Roy and my very very good friend Marion. Plans call to see North America, one Prov. and State at a time. I'll post some more pics as I figure it out. Power train in the old girl is in good shape, we've put a full tank of fuel through her with no issues. There are a few things that need to be addressed and they will get there turn. Will most likely have a lot of questions as we get deeper into this renovation.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Roy & Marion,

Congratulations on the new to you rig. This is a wonderful way to travel and we are more than ready to help so please just ask.

There are a lot of threads here to read that will be like an education. YouTube can also be a great friend to you to see how to empty tanks, clean your furnace, work on levelers, whatever it is that you need to know.

Best of luck to you, Lynne How about "Miss Royal"
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

Thank you for the kind reply. Lynne.
So far on no name I have rebuilt the front hood latch. The original didn't work very well, let's just say it didn't. It was a 2 person job, one inside to jiggle the push/pull knob the other outside try to align the bolt though a hole in a thin little bracket. To give you an idea it looked like a draw bolt from an old barn door. I had pictures but they are on my old phone that got wet and had to be replaced. I'll try to take some of the finished latch tomorrow. Anyway what I did was take car door latch and made a bracket to hold it in place and another bracket for the striker to hold the hood shut. It will all make sense when you see the finished pics. Later.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roy,

I think we all do our 'jack all' repairs on our rigs. Sometimes getting parts for these older rigs is hard to do or way to expensive.

Have you camped / RV'd before this? One of the things we learned early on was to empty water out of the water heater if it was going to be parked more than a week. If it sits in there it will stick really bad. Just avoid that by emptying it when not using it.

There is a lot to these but gosh I love it! Lynne
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Good tip on emptying the hot tank. I winterized before my surgery on the 17nov will be out of commission for 6/8weeks. Going to try and bring you guys up to date on what I have already gotten done.
This is my first coach. Tent camped for years with my late wife. No water tanks to worrie about then. Now I want a few more comforts now that I'm on the higher side of 65.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

Here are the pics of the latch assembly I made up, still have to paint it but lots of time for that....shot of my leg too. Got the stitches out today, feels a lot better. Still can't put weight on it yet.

P.S. Does anyone know how tight to make the brace across the hood the one near the striker in the 2nd and 3rd pic. It's floppin around like a fresh killed chicken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171102_122450.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	181795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171102_122510.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	181796  

Name:	IMG_20171102_122516.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	181797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171102_104312.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	181798  

Old 11-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #7

Prayers sent

Hope you have a speedy recovery. In April of this year I had a total knee replacement. Pretty soon it will all be a faded memory.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

I'm glad your knee is going well for you, I have that to look forward to as well. First I'll let this heal for bit first as i don't want to developed calluses on my butt from sitting too long. Life is good.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

Does anyone know what this pump does, It is not part of the water circuit that I can tell. I don't have a wiring dia. and have been unsuccessful in tracing the wire or the hose on the end, they both disappear in the bowels of the beast. I found it when I was working on the water pump and hose circuit. It was in behind by itself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unknown pump in wet bay 01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	181999  

Old 11-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #10

Looks like a vacuum pump or maybe a small air compressor, given that there is no clamp on the hose I'd lean toward vacuum, but it could be low pressure air.

Maybe for an air horn?

Gary
All_talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #11

Thanks Gary, I think you could be right about it being a vacuum pump. I'll run some power to it and see what it does. I know it's not for the air horns as they didn't work when I first got the coach.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #12

I must clear up my previous statement, it took my a lot of searching to find out why my airhorns where not working. Finally after much airline tracing I finally found the solinoid valve that controlled the horn. As long as I jumped the power direct it would work. I was finally able to trace the blue power wire down to close to the fuse panel and it was sliced into a red wire, [moderator edit] a blue wire butted up to red wire two ft away from the fuse pane.....that's not the best part.....the red wire stopped short of any conectio point.... Just bare at the end and not connected to anything but dead air. OK easy fix, put in a small relay and a push button...works like a charm. But still don't know what that vacuum pump thing is for

Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes trying to find where everything connects or goes can be really confusing. Manuals can be a big help but other times you just got to wait until someone comes along who KNOWS what it is.

Good luck. Your leg looks painful. Lynne
Old 11-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #14

Your right about manuals being helpful but if they are badly written like the one I have for this old girl, they can be a waste of paper. No wire diagrams, no helpful information to speak of. A lot of the information starts with "locate the switch." If I knew where the switch is I wouldn't need the manual. Yes it's frustrating, but we shall carry on.
The surgery on the leg went well, I broke it 2 yrs ago and it still had not healed. Choice was made to go back in and break the leg again and remove the rod and replace with outer plates. I must say its been about 3 wks now and it hurts less now then it has in the last 2 yrs. I'm a happy man.