Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Repaint outside of camper

Hi I would like to paint the outside of my camper. Not sure where to start, what kind of paint to use or what the best application would be? Any help would be great thanks. Here is a photo of the outside.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We are in the process of repainting the outside of our '75 Winnebago. I went to a local auto parts store that sells automotive paint and had them mix up the correct colors. The paint I have is intended to be sprayed on, but I'm just brushing it on since I do a section when I get around to it. The stuff dries very quickly so you have to get any drips right away (like NOW, not a minute from now), but it's a good hard finish. There are some brush strokes, but it looks good from 10 feet away.

If you want the original colors, see if you can look up the color codes on the web for your make and year and they should be able to match it.

dburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #3

Some friends of ours painted their 1984 Sunline.

Before:

During:

After:

They used a quality brand of rattle can spray paint and had fun!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We used a marine polyurethane paint: Interlux Brightside and used the "roll and tip" method for a smooth, glossy finish.
Before

After

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out this for some neat ideas for repainting your camper

Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
did you guys have to remove all the old decals first? my decals are a mess and I would love to just sand them down and paint over them. Here's what my rv looks like right now
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786 View Post
did you guys have to remove all the old decals first? my decals are a mess and I would love to just sand them down and paint over them. Here's what my rv looks like right now
Yes, we removed the old graphics. Try using a hair dryer set on "high" and a flat putty knife to remove the old decals.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

I used a razor scraper and paint thinner to remove the vinyl stripes and glue. It makes some gouges, but a little bondo takes care of that. Don't sand them off as they will be higher than the surrounding gelcoat!

I'm still struggling with paint. At first I used an HVLP sprayer, it was like painting with fog! now I'm using rustoleum in a can, wet sanding and polishing. It seems to be working but I don't have enough depth of paint to get up to a real gloss.

In the mean time, I'm glueing diamond-plate to hide my crappy fiberglass work. I've always been a fan of the old Stainless steel busses, this is my (cheap) version. I'm hiding the "Big White Box" look (I hope). All the white doors will be diamond plate. One topside and the rear is almost done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	22538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	22539  

PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #9

Plastic putty knife/scrapers won't gouge like that. Yes, you'll go through a few of them. When they loose their sharp edge you pitch them. Old PC/computer ram chips work really well if you can get a line on some.

I had some (older) previous experience going into mine. Used acrylic enamel from a local automotive store - who agreed to give me a hand with pointers as necessary. Used an HVLP gun, but at about 45psi - much higher than I would have thought necessary. It also featured bigger jets in the tip than those that might be found in a gun from Harbor Freight (so it puts out more paint, you don't get that "fog" effect).

Paint was about 200. HVLP gun was bought new for this project, another 100, and maybe 100 in thinner and misc.materials. His advice/help you can't put a price on! I showed him this project to get a color match, and he pretty much fell in love with the thing! Was very interested in seeing it through to completion. One of the things he told me was to forget any idea of spraying a metallic color if I was going to do it in sections. To maintain even metallic content, you have to spray the whole thing in one batch. So solid colors for me!

All work was done in the driveway (no paint booth), spring time temps in the mid to high 40's. Work was split into 4 sections (front, rear, and each side). I was able to save the graphics, only painted the lower blue section. Turned out good enough I wouldn't hesitate to do another one. I would advise anyone considering a project this size to consider the prep work as the hard part. It has to be clean! -Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011104.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	22541  
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

Emd_Driver: on that sunliner your friends have. how did they prep it for paint

My MH has the same siding and I would love to paint it but not sure how to prep a surface like that. i can get someone to spray it for me, but i gotta do the prep work
Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Some friends of ours painted their 1984 Sunline.

Before:

During:

After:

They used a quality brand of rattle can spray paint and had fun!
Love the colors.. always like the Burgundy reds..
Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

Damnit I knew better than to look at this!!!! On my 88 Silver Eagle, the paint from the fiberglass sides no longer matches other body parts.... What is the best way to sand down the stripes that will not peel off for anything, and not damage my siding?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigmover View Post
Damnit I knew better than to look at this!!!! On my 88 Silver Eagle, the paint from the fiberglass sides no longer matches other body parts.... What is the best way to sand down the stripes that will not peel off for anything, and not damage my siding?
As previously mentioned, I don't think you want to plan on sanding them. Scraping with some type of plastic scraper a much better plan if you can't peel them. Heat (heat gun/hair dryer) can sometimes help a lot. Once the viny has bee removed, then you can deal with any remaining adhesive using chemicals. None of this is going to be much fun. Suggest breaking the project up into small pieces that are much easier to handle/judge progress.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Some stubborn decals (and some types of striping paint) will come off with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)- find it in the paint stripper/chemical aisle at a good hardware store. Won't hurt the fiberglass.