Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Repairing crack in PVC

Hello Folks:
I have a crack in the PVC pipe that comes out of my black holding tank. It is next to the dump valve, so would be VERY difficult to cut it out and replace it.
Has anybody had to repair PVC on their rig and what did you use? Did a search and saw that JB Weld has a PVC/Plastic repair kit. Thought I might try that.
Any ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks
<Padre>
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

Non pressurized PVC is a quick fix. JB Weld is fine but you need both the outside ad inside of the pipe completely dry. There are several liquids and solids available .My fix would be a strip of rubber roof patch (eternabond) around the pipe for a permanent fix
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

Patch it.

Get a chunk of same or next larger size.

Cut a slit then with heat gun form to fit the pipe.

Then get purple primer and scrub both 3 times, use a lot of glue and tape to hold it tight until cured.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

Most of the sewer pipe on RVs is ABS and not PVC. I have seen a few with PVC. ABS will be black, PVC white. Different types of adhesives are used on the two. Some adhesives will work on both.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
My RV is a 30 year old Wanderlodge. The material that needs fixing is black so must be ABS..I guess.
Got some JB Weld Waterweld today. Am going to give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.
I first have to FIND the exact spot where it is leaking. Will be a MESSY job, I am sure. The inside of the pipe will be wet as there is no way that I can get inside.
If that doesn't work, I'll try some of the other suggestions. Just hoping to KISS if I can..but that seems to NEVER be the case, now doesn't it.
Thanks <Padre>
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the exact same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Hello Folks:
I have a crack in the PVC pipe that comes out of my black holding tank. It is next to the dump valve, so would be VERY difficult to cut it out and replace it.
Has anybody had to repair PVC on their rig and what did you use? Did a search and saw that JB Weld has a PVC/Plastic repair kit. Thought I might try that.
Any ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks
<Padre>
I used Eternabond Tape (size of a roll of electrical tape) this spring and hasn't leaked since. It was on the Gray water side though not a lot of room to get it around the pipe. Pull it good and tight and it will seal it.
I really didn't think it would work but it did, and it was dripping while I was putting the tape on. I keep a roll in the MH right next to the duct tape.!!!
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #7

I have repaired low and no pressure pipes by cutting a coupler in half and filing out the stop in the center. then glue it up and clamp it in place with tape. Good luck.
Sunflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

jb weld makes a water weld product i read about it somewhere in this site bought some yesterday will give it a try tomorrow says it will seal thru water
i'm going to dry mine first will post results
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
YC1

GOOP

plumbers GOOP

AG Plumbing Product Information 0709

Sure fire trick, works every time. Sticks to your fingers and everything else.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #10

I had a large crack in my black water tank that I noticed when changing out and updating my dump valves and the tanks are made of some kind of plastic that I cant remember right now but what I did was sand all around and in the crack wiped it down with a lot of lacquer thinner let dry then used a hot glue gun to fill the crack then taped off the area for nice clean lines and spread a thick layer of the goop style stuff that takes 24 plus hours to cure and pulled the tape off and let it dry and have no leaks since.