Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Repairing holes in fiberglass

Working in my 1981 Tioga I've found that there have been some modifications over the years that I would like to remove. What is the best way to repair the holes left in the exterior fiberglass siding from some of these modifications.

I'm not too concerned about looks since this thing us ten different shades of faded, but I still want to keep things tidy.
knaveman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cloth and resin, Bondo, depending on size of hole. Available in auto or boat parts stores.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveman67 View Post
Working in my 1981 Tioga I've found that there have been some modifications over the years that I would like to remove. What is the best way to repair the holes left in the exterior fiberglass siding from some of these modifications.

I'm not too concerned about looks since this thing us ten different shades of faded, but I still want to keep things tidy.
How big of holes are you talking about?
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

Screw holes or large holes?

For screw holes and small small holes visit a well stocked boat store as they they sell small color matched resin with hardener that you apply like putty.

Not cheap but worked miracles on our bayliner.

If holes were for accessories like a vent or outlet then visit the hardware store electrical department and look for an outlet cover that can be screwed in place or get the outlet kit and mount an outlet in the hole.

If larger then mount a chunk of plywood in the hole and glass it over...supplies at boat store.

Photos will help.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
you need to put gel coat on top of the resin and cloth before bondo
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Most of the holes are small screw holes, but I have one spot where the old furnace vents have been blocked and I would just rather remove them.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
knaveman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Screw holes use boat repair resin or if you want cheap then get some 5 minute epoxy and mix up then push some in the hole follow with clear tape to hold it in place.

Prep by careful scraping high spots with sharp knife and clean with acetone or alcohol.

The epoxy will wick against the tape or if screw hole too large then with toothpick rub epoxy into sides of hole then allow it to start to setup then place thicker stuff in hole.

Tape to give smooth surface then wait 2 days for full cure before removing tape and sanding.

Tags
repair