Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Repairs to 86 Toyota new horizon

I bought my 1986 Toyota new horizon for twice as much as it was worth considering it’s condition. I liove it and would like to give it the repairs it needs. But I can’t pay the 120 an hour for labor that techs charge. The young man I bought it from had ugly grey sealant slapped all over it. I removed the ugly stuff and found that the over bed area on drivers side had so much dry rot that the side was hanging. That is the first thing I want to fix. Does anyone have suggestions? I will try to attach a pic. Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73F23140-AA5A-4E40-97C2-4CF4A42DCA24.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	219882   Click image for larger version

Name:	33D96BDD-E844-4A94-8BA4-901034F5521B.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	219883  

Tinyhomelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

I have been repairing a pretty large area of water damage on my coach as well. I can tell you from experience, GO DEEP! Don't try to get by with the minimum, just open it wide up and replace all the rot. The Class Cs are notorious for that exact issue and there are several threads on this forum where people have rebuilt them. The Toyota chassis motorhomes are pretty cool, they get good mileage, and the owners seem to enjoy them immensely.
My philosophy is if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time, open it wide up and rebuild it better than new!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #3

Toyota Motorhome group.

Here is a large group of Toyota motor home owners who will be more than willing to help your get your motor home repaired with technical advice. Very knowledgeable and some of them own more than one motor home.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...RMwuwoBfdXWx6W
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
AH, The Ole Toyhouse.... Lot of great memories..

Mine wasn't to bad, I did have to repair the drivers side overhang on the inside as it was rotted away..

I finally traced the leak to the front window, specifically the way the window is mounted and it doesn't have weep holes to drain the water that can get in the window frame. (side windows have these weep holes to drain water from the window frame)

Several years ago I placed all my toyhouse forum links on my 2001 Mirada web site. These links still work but you need to first sign in as a member to the toyhouse forums. Below is a link to my 2001Mirada web site that has the Toyhouse links..

Toyhouse Links – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

One of the advantages of doing my own web site vs using a forum to document work; the forums can go away or get deleted or I can't edit , etc, etc, etc.. With my own web site, I have complete control, with no restrictions.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs