Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Replace Irreplaceable Window?

Any idea where to find a replacement? The major crack can barely be seen in this photo (front right upper window) but from the inside looking out it looks shattered as if it underwent a drastic rapid temperature change even though no such event took place. Any ideas would be helpful. Anyone know of a salvage establishment or a manufacturer? Or if someone knows how to repair it? It's a plastic not fiberglass. By the way it's an 88 Falcon 190 on a ford chassis. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	82603

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboardr View Post
Any idea where to find a replacement? The major crack can barely be seen in this photo (front right upper window) but from the inside looking out it looks shattered as if it underwent a drastic rapid temperature change even though no such event took place. Any ideas would be helpful. Anyone know of a salvage establishment or a manufacturer? Or if someone knows how to repair it? It's a plastic not fiberglass. By the way it's an 88 Falcon 190 on a ford chassis. Thanks.
At one point I made a list of RV salvage yards, but cannot find it now. I will have to in the future again as I am looking for some parts.

You might try here but they want lots of $'s for their stuff.

RV Salvage Motorhomes - Parting Out Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | Visone RV, RV Salvage Parts, Motorhome Repairable Wrecks, Used RV Parts Monaco, Prevost, Allegro, Holiday Rambler, Alfa, RV Junk Yard - Dismantler , visonerv.com

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

If plastic look up plastic supplies.

Places that do plexiglass and the like.

If local drive it there so they can confirm what it is.

Most have a solvent that you can apply with a syringe that will wick into the cracks and it fuses back.

Some may do the repair or sell you the materials.

Also suggest adding material to back side at edge for support as well as investigating it to see if there are stress points.

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE IT.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A couple of suggestions that might be helpful. Try an automotive glass shop, they may or may not be able to help you. Next would be a big RV service center that does body work. These are what I would try if I was looking for what you are.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:40 AM   #5

Do you really want the front windows?

I would just fibreglass over them like they never existed... Cheap easy... you could even paint it black to look like windows..
Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #6

If I could not find the part, I would contact a local plastic shop that makes signs etc, and have them form me one by heating and placing it over the old one, or I would buy some plexi, and make my own with a heat gun. Several ways to make one using the old one as a mold. Plexi is easy to heat, and work with
Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

OK, I've done a lot of custom bending of Acrylic. It is pretty easy to do. The first thing you need to do is pop the old window out. Once it is out, fit the hole with a piece of cardboard. Cut the cardboard bigger than the hole. Have someone hold it from the inside, or tape it up to the inside. Then take a marker and draw the shape of the hole from the outside, using the edge of the fiberglass to guide your line. Take the cardboard out, and cut it at the line. This will give you a templet to lay over the Acrylic so you can cut the Acrylic. Cut the Acrylic with a saw or router. Sand the edges to make them smooth and rounded to the proper shape. Once you are satisfied with the shape, then you can bend it. To bend it, you need to be able to clamp one side, so lay it on a table - preferably something like a table saw top, so it is stable. Sandwich the Acrylic between the table and a board, making the edge right where you want the bend. Then take a paint stripper gun and heat the Acrylic. Heat it very slow and keep moving. Eventually it will begin to bend. It will be very rubbery at the point where you bend it, so you will have to hold the bend until it cools - only a couple of minutes, so just stand there and hold it. Then check the fit and the bend. Its OK if the bend isn't perfect the first time, as you can reheated it and bend it more or less an indefinite number of times. Acrylic does not degrade from heat, as long as you don't over heat it and burn it.

The end product won't have the bubbled look of the original, so I would do both sides so they match. You can buy thick tinted Acrylic online fairly cheaply. Don't be afraid to try it, it is not difficult to do. Here is some custom bending I did for my motorcycle to protect from the wind. This was reheated several times to get it right. I started with a cardboard form, so I could cut it out flat and then did all the bending afterword.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Everyone

Wow! With so many great replies, at this point, I'm not sure which way to go with it but at least I've got a lot of good food for thought. Again thanks everyone for your input.

Tags
replace, window