Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Replacement Awning for RV - Sticker Shock

I just purchased a used RV (my first - 1986 HR Presidential 33'), I just found out today that I need to replace the 20 'awning (all fabric and supports).
The RV dealer quoted me a price of $1569.00 for awning and installation! Is this a reasonable price?
Any suggestions?

The installation price was $250, is this something I can do myself?

Thanks
Todd
rtmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
20 foot is a big one, and hard to handle due to it's wieght and size.

If the $1569 includes the install, it is a good price. I paid just at a thousand for a 16 footer 3 years ago at a camping world. My wife talked them into loaning us some ladders, and we changed it in thier parking lot.

The actual installation is beyond easy. There is a slotted channel running the length os the RV, and a ~3/16" round tube sewn into the inner edge of the awning just slides into that channel!
There will be a small woodscrew through the existing awning and channel to keep it from moving. The support arm brackets just woodscrew into the side of the coach.

So... you need 3 guys with big stepladders.
Take off the existing arms.
Find and remove the old securing screw.
Walk the old awning off the back of the coach.

Walk the new awning into the slot and onto the coach.
Put on the arms and brackets, might hafta drill new holes cause they changed the brackets a little.

Pull the cotter keys that are holding the springs.

Put in a securing screw.

Get a clod one.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Google surplus RV parts and find a surplus dealer near you. Probally will be in Indiana, we have one here in So Ca. He sells the complete awning assembly for about $650.00. The installation was going to be 150, but my buddy did it himself with one other person. Even at the neighborhood RV supply house the awning was less than 1000.00. You have to check around, try Camping World.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I installed my own retractable awning by myself, but it was only a 10- footer.
There's nothing complicated about it, but due to your awning size you'll definitely need extra muscle/help!
My Carefree came with installation instructions...
If you buy an all-new one with fabric, it'll come pre-tensioned. You'll slide the roller into the track, and then attach the brackets/arms. That's about all there is to it.

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Todd,
I just found a couple of web sites that might be helpful...

RV, RV INFORMATION
and there are many more if you do a google search.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Missed one...

RV, RV INFORMATION
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I went crazy a few years ago and bought one of those A&E Weather Pro 20 foot.
Here is the price and i would sit down first. $2500 for the awning and another $300.00 for the install. Mine is going on whatever home we get. O..one other thing, That was with acrylic awning with metal guard. Even came with a remote.
Pricey but the best!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced an 18 ft. on our Pursuit at Camping World for under 800.00. Used my old arms but new tube and acrylic fabric. You may consider opting for the more standard 18 ft. size, probably at a better price. Salvage as much of the existing hardware that you can. Arms are generic to length. I would opt to have it installed by a dealer. Then it is warrantied as to installation. Do it yourself would not. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmow View Post
I just purchased a used RV (my first - 1986 HR Presidential 33'), I just found out today that I need to replace the 20 'awning (all fabric and supports).
The RV dealer quoted me a price of $1569.00 for awning and installation! Is this a reasonable price?
Any suggestions?

The installation price was $250, is this something I can do myself?

Thanks
Todd
Is the hardware actually damaged, or is the dealer not wanting to mess around with it, preferring instead to sell a new one? Many/most of the time all you really need is just the fabric. MUCH less expensive than a complete awning.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

The awning is definitely bad; the hardware (original 1986, front spring assembly & plug housing cover) is broke.
I priced a Carefree of Colorado Simplicity Plus RV Awning 20' NEW on eBay sold by K.C. Trailer Service and Supply for around $720 (include s&h) dollars. The company seems to have a good feedback rating. I'm going to call then tomorrow; are you or anyone else familar with this company??
Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Is it the one at this link? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Caref...aeea6e79#ht_57

That looks like a great buy!
You'd be covered by the E-Bay protection plan, too- no risk there.

Hope it shakes out for you- give us a report if you do business with the company...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I bought one from an Auto Wrecker for $200.00 and installed it myself. It not only looked good when it was done it matched the 70's era colour scheme of the unit.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #13

install it easy with 3 people i paid $700 and change for a A&E might google united rv in ft worth and see hoy much shipping is
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #14

[QUOTE=Francesca;969652]Is it the one at this link? Carefree of Colorado Simplicity Plus RV Awning 20' NEW | eBay

That looks like a great buy!
You'd be covered by the E-Bay protection plan, too- no risk there.

Hope it shakes out for you- give us a report if you do business with the company...

Francesca[/

Yes, that's the awning E-bay. I did a search on the company and didn't find anything that raised a flag; the company is legit.
I'll definitely let everyone know the outcome. Thanks for the help.
Todd

Tags
awning, replacement