Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #1

We have an 88 Winn, Class C. our 3 way has died after many repairs, and I am thinking about replacing the unit with an AC house model. Anyone done this> Thanks for your help.

USAF Retired
OldSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #2

We have an 88 Winn, Class C. our 3 way has died after many repairs, and I am thinking about replacing the unit with an AC house model. Anyone done this> Thanks for your help.

USAF Retired
OldSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I have seen them do this before. Seems to work good. just run the fridge for around a couple of hours before you hit the road and if you are going to be parking for the night you may want to run the generator with the fridge on again.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #4

Could a house frig run off a invertor or convertor??.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have done this with no problem. The only hassle is when we are on shore power remembering to unplug from inverter and plugging it into the 110 outlet. Probably would not be any problem with leaving it plugged into inverter but why drain the batteries.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #6

We did this in our Class C. Make sure you attach it well. The coolant tubing is routed thru the sides and top so you need to allow a couple inches of airspace there. Ours is simply put in the same space (widthwise) as the original Dometic 3-way. We stretched the height since we stacked a refrigerator (110vAC) on top of a freezer. Both units will run off the genset while under way (that's how we re-wired the RV). I would have to run the genset under way in order to power the rooftop AC unit anyway. We haven't needed to do this... yet. The units stay cold/frozen for up to 200 miles. That was on a 100 degree summer day.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
check out Norcold's Marine reefers. They run on either 12, 24, or 120 and do not require a inverter. Mine runs on one 12VDC deep cycle battery for 2 days without recharge. The freezer keeps ice cream. I have had mine now for four years and not a bit of trouble. Fits right in the standard reefer hole on most RV's. Different sizes available, mine is a 6.3 CU feet. You don't have to level the trailer, because these units are not sensitive to variance from vertical. Norcold Marine, Model # DE 0061, price when purchased was $1400.00 Great unit, fully repairable, not like absorption reefers.