Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
The recall band aid is not required on Amish units. Their boilers don't fracture and leak the flammable gas.
I was not aware that ammonia was flammable?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
KIX

Quote:
So does the hazard!!

The hazard may well diminish but it doesn't vanish.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I was not aware that ammonia was flammable?
Propane is the flammable gas that's causes those pesky Norcold fires, I believe...

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Has anyone replaced an RV fridge with a regular electric fridge?
If so any issues?
Check this out. Wished that I had done it earlier.

Samsung RF197ACBP Installed in 2002 Monaco Windsor PBT

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #33

I posted on another thread that I disconnected my RV frig and I think the ammonia got out inside the RV with all the windows open and the side door open.I was outside unbolted it with the intent to go inside and carry out.Went in side and got so choked up I thought i was going to die.Came so close to going next door to have them call 911.Almost passed out.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Propane is the flammable gas that's causes those pesky Norcold fires, I believe...
The fires are caused by the ignition of leaking coolant by the gas flame. Not propane itself. It is not just the ammonia but the hydrogen in the coolant. Hydrogen can go boom!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
The hazard may well diminish but it doesn't vanish.
Life is full of hazards. We can only eliminate so many.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Life is full of hazards. We can only eliminate so many.

ABSOLUTELY!

We RVers have so MANY things we must fear...

Tires that MUST be checked daily, and at the correct PSI by not less than 1 or 2 PSI.

Tires that will self destruct the very second they become over 4 years old - regardless is how they look inside and outside.

NEVER take one hand off the steering wheel while driving - to wave at other RVers, lest we inevitably lose control of our barely guided missile...

NEVER run the generator - or remain parked NEXT to someone running theirs - lest we all quickly die from the deadly fumes from their, or our, generator exhaust.

The list goes on and on - makes me wonder how we've survived all these 55 years of camping and RVing - when in our uninformed ignorance, we DID all those things - and yet somehow, lived to tell about it...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
ABSOLUTELY!

The list goes on and on - makes me wonder how we've survived all these 55 years of camping and RVing - when in our uninformed ignorance, we DID all those things - and yet somehow, lived to tell about it...
Well, to be fair, we only have YOUR word that you've actually survived all these years....

You could have died YEARS ago from these deadly hazards, and you're just fibbing about still being alive.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #38

My answer is if I could only stand back and watch another member make the same mistake I did and hear he suffered seriously as I did.No Joke here.But that isn't who I am.The question here is isn't apart of this forum to pass along experiences we all have had to avoid issues??.And not for nothing this O/P is helping me on my post about the same topic.Btw-thank you for that.

I don't mean to rain down on you guys fun......................but still.

All this said,I first want to say to the O/P,sorry for the off topic posting.Hope the thread will get back on track and really hope you don't run into the same problem I did.

Gary
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcarol View Post
Bilito - We had to remove our entry door to get it inside, but needed to do that anyway to get the Norcold out in one piece; not a big deal. My only other comment is that I wish we had done it sooner!!!

When you removed the entry door did you remove the entire assembly (door + frame) and if so, how does the frame come out?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #40

bruceisla - we had to remove the door, frame and all to get the Norcold out and the Summit in. There's a vinyl trim piece on the outside of the door frame; after removing that, there is access to the screws. Additionally, ours had screws through the inside door jam and threshold. Pretty easy job to take the door out and reinstall.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcarol View Post
Bilito - We changed ours out ... no regrets. Sounds like yours is about the same size as our Norcold (model #721 or 821, I think), and we replaced it with Summit ff1112bl. Looks great, more room, hard ice cream. It was a near perfect fit, about the same weight unit, and yes, we had to secure it but not hard to do. We had to remove our entry door to get it inside, but needed to do that anyway to get the Norcold out in one piece; not a big deal. My only other comment is that I wish we had done it sooner!!!
We have just had about 6 month or so hiatus from working on the Rv, Sickness, Deaths, other family issues and it was too hot in the summer and now it is too cold in the winter for these old bones and everyone came down with that 6 week long miserable cold.

Now I gotta get back to getting it ready for a weekend March trip to Boca, everything has piled up and the cash is short, got a 20 plus item punch list to do and the freaking generator Voltage Regulator just took a dump and now my wife wants the rear bumper repaired before I do anything else, but the fridge swapout is high on the list, gotta save up some more now that the holiday shopping kicked the hell outa my wallet

Tags
refrigerator