Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

Replacing Refrigerator

Has anyone replaced an RV fridge with a regular electric fridge?
If so any issues?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do a search, plenty have done so and offer suggestions. Check rv systems and appliances.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

can be done but depending on how you plan to use your unit you may have to do some creative modifications.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not done it but when I think of my coach these come to mind:

Space, weight, limited to 110 volts, getting it inside the coach. All doable for sure but I would need a very compelling reason.

Good luck anyway and let us know how it goes.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
We did it two years ago, best mod we've made. I added two dedicated batteries and a 1000 W PSW inverter to power the fridge when not plugged into shore power. It did take a little remodel of the opening for the new fridge but looks like it's always been there.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

My reservations for this kind of mod are listed in a recent posted thread about the same topic.It would help to know details about your RV and what model and brand RV frig you have.The bottom line is my suggestion that by the time you go threw all the changes,you could get a deal on a good rebuilt RV frig.I have seen them for take-outs and rebuilds for around $500.Just have to be proactive in you searches.Also some home frigs are not built for the shake,raddled and roll of going down the road let alone the warren-tee(sp) of a home unit does not cover this kind of use and the air space needed around a home unit isn't conducive of a RV cabinet.

Forums like this even if a post like mine isn't in agreement with what you want to do does provide both sides of the question.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
My reservations for this kind of mod are listed in a recent posted thread about the same topic.It would help to know details about your RV and what model and brand RV frig you have.The bottom line is my suggestion that by the time you go threw all the changes,you could get a deal on a good rebuilt RV frig.I have seen them for take-outs and rebuilds for around $500.Just have to be proactive in you searches.Also some home frigs are not built for the shake,raddled and roll of going down the road let alone the warren-tee(sp) of a home unit does not cover this kind of use and the air space needed around a home unit isn't conducive of a RV cabinet.

Forums like this even if a post like mine isn't in agreement with what you want to do does provide both sides of the question.
I was not really looking for pros and cons of changing out to a compressor operated electric refrigerator in my RV, I wanted to hear from those that have actually done it and see what issues they may or may not have come across.

My across the street neighbor has had a Class A RV for a long time and said the only time he uses the gas mode is when he is actually driving it on the road. If he has to use the gen for extra air conditioning while driving he said he turns the fridge to elect mode, he said he never has ever gone anywhere where there was no electricity available.

The unit I am looking at is a Haier HRF08WND, it is frost free and has the coils on the back of the fridge not under it so there will be plenty of room behind the fridge to disapate any heat.

Until we decide what to do my wife said we can just use the existing fridge as an ice box and throw some dry ice in it and a couple one gallon jugs of frozen water to keep it cool. Heck that's what we do with the ice box in our Boat and we have been doing that for years
Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #8

I feel your pain. 6 replies and just 1 from someone who has done this. The owners manual for that fridge says it should not be put in an enclosed cabinet-for what that's worth.

I too have considered it.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
I feel your pain. 6 replies and just 1 from someone who has done this. The owners manual for that fridge says it should not be put in an enclosed cabinet-for what that's worth.

I too have considered it.
There are over a thousand memebers, just have to give em time to sign on and respond,

Before I bought this one I looked at another RV that had done the job, it looked great, The guy that showed it to me said he was selling it for his aunt that lived in JAX and we were in Miami and he did not have the title in hand, but to give him a big deposit and she would sign the title and a bill of sale and mail them to me, so I walked away, it might have been true, but after all this is South Florida.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do a Search on SAMSUNG RF197 and you should find several detailed exAMPLES (WITH PICTURES) ON REPLACING THE REFRIG. We were recentley at a Rally and several RV Owners had replaced their old units with this model. Everyone was or appeared to be pleased with the change out. After a New set of tires the next thing we're planning on doing is to switch out the refrig. ed
Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Do a Search on SAMSUNG RF197 and you should find several detailed exAMPLES (WITH PICTURES) ON REPLACING THE REFRIG. We were recentley at a Rally and several RV Owners had replaced their old units with this model. Everyone was or appeared to be pleased with the change out. After a New set of tires the next thing we're planning on doing is to switch out the refrig. ed
Thanks for the tip, but that one is way too big, mine is just a small 7-8 cu ft fridge and that Haier is an 8.1 cu ft and almost a pertfect fit with room to spare behind it.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We replaced our RV fridge with a Samsung RF197 in September and have absolutely no issues whatsoever. We have a total of 4-6 volt batteries plus 100W solar and a 2.5 kW MSW inverter. We consider it the best mod we have made to the MH. If you're looking for "real users" to provide concerns, we have none.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #13

I did do this about two years ago. It has been successful, but there are some serious issues that make this much less simple than one might believe.

Household units use the side skins as condenser and so there must be enough room for those two sides to cool. It cannot be a close fit or the unit will always be down on over temperature.

Household units have no mounting flange, so changes must be made to the space to restrain the movement of the reefer under driving conditions.

Household units have rotary compressor that require a lot of starting current, so the inverter required will be a lot large than one might expect when reading the power requirements. It will have to have large cable directly to the house battery.

Even with the inverter, the cost was only about a thousand dollars less than a replacement that could run on 12VDC.

Matt
Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #14

Bilito - We changed ours out ... no regrets. Sounds like yours is about the same size as our Norcold (model #721 or 821, I think), and we replaced it with Summit ff1112bl. Looks great, more room, hard ice cream. It was a near perfect fit, about the same weight unit, and yes, we had to secure it but not hard to do. We had to remove our entry door to get it inside, but needed to do that anyway to get the Norcold out in one piece; not a big deal. My only other comment is that I wish we had done it sooner!!!

Tags
refrigerator