Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

Question Replacing shades and blinds

I bought a used Fleetwood Pace Arrow to live in a few months ago. I thought it was "old"; imagine my surprise when I found out it qualifies as "vintage"! (1991)

I am discovering many items that need repairing or replacing and I am at a loss as to how to go about them.

I am not a dyi, have not even handyman skills as I am a 70 year old woman whose husband always took care of maintenance around the home. I am also new to the RV world, having never even spent a vacation in a rental

The current must-do is to replace the fabric shades in the living area. I think they might be called, "roman shades". They have dry rot from the hot sun and relentless dirt blowing, and the pull cords have broken.

I cannot see a way to get the shade out of the window because the valance does not appear to have any screws for removal. I can neither see nor reach those tiny places to remove the shade mechanism.

Help! Help! Help!

Thank you in advance for all your help which I know will be forthcoming.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If your shades are like mine were in our '89 Fleetwood Southwind, you remove the wooden blinds/roman shades before the valance. Get under the blind, and look straight up and back. You should see or feel the screws that hold up the shades. The valances are held in with screws into the cupboards above, or have L-brackets into the wall.

I pulled my old ones out, left the valances and installed cellular shades from Lowe's.

Are you in an RV park? Can any of your neighbors give you a hand? Maybe another IRV2 member is near Amarillo and can give you some help. RVer's are usually so helpful and friendly, I know you'll find some assistance. We're headed down to Texas ourselves next month, but nowhere near Amarillo, unfortunately.

Best of luck,
Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #3

This park does not seem to attract RV'rs who are friendly and want to mingle. Many/most are men working on contract jobs in the area. We don't have any planned social interactions at all. I was told by the manager to stop going around and introducing myself to new people because, "people like their privacy". so I don't do that anymore and only know a couple of people in the park, one who is also a 70 year-old woman.

I would welcome hearing from any body in this area.

I have seen the inside of the valance and where the shades are fastened, but I am not pysically able to do what needs to be done. I will see if my granddaughter can take one down for me next time she is here.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-365 View Post
This park does not seem to attract RV'rs who are friendly and want to mingle. Many/most are men working on contract jobs in the area. We don't have any planned social interactions at all. I was told by the manager to stop going around and introducing myself to new people because, "people like their privacy". so I don't do that anymore and only know a couple of people in the park, one who is also a 70 year-old woman.

I would welcome hearing from any body in this area.

I have seen the inside of the valance and where the shades are fastened, but I am not pysically able to do what needs to be done. I will see if my granddaughter can take one down for me next time she is here.

Thanks for your reply.

i think first order of business would be to move to another more friendly park. good luck in your endeavors.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have to agree with Faye a new park would be my first move. There are too many great places to stay and friends to make. Why limit yourself.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #6

I've already checked that out. Slim pickin's in Amarillo. That does seem to be the thing to do. I met a giuy in Walmart at RV accessories, and we visited for quite awhile. He lives in Ft. Amarillo which is a much nicer park, but I've been told that they will go up to $450 in May. Guess I'm stuck here for a good while, being on a small, limited income.

Thanks, though.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Allstays.com lists six Amarillo RV parks here. Maybe something there?

in Canyon: this

Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the Allstays link. I will be checking some of these out. Some are in parts of town that I wouldn't want to come and go at the (sometimes) late hours I do. I do not have a concealed carry permit. Hadn't planned to get one as I didn't intend to pack, but depends on where I am. Guess I will have to to that. I took the course but at the time didn't see the need to spend the money for the permit. Everything changes!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #9

Whoa, guys! Last evening, I went merrily off to check out some of the other parks listed and I unknowingly committed a serious error! I drove through the park on Lakeside, and not having seen any units that appeared to be extended stay, rolled down my window and asked a woman who was outside if they had any of those sites there. Before I knew it, the manager came tearing up behind me, and literlly tore me a new one! She was soooo angry! And she told me that she could have the police there in a minute! She told me you NEVER approach people in an RV Park, etc.........She spat so much venom!

Is that a normal response by a manager in a park to a stranger driving through and speaking to a guest? I live in Amarillo and people here are known for their friendly ways, but so far my experience with these parks has been anything but friendly.

I'm going to check out one more Monday during business hours so I can approach the manager first.

I surely don't know the Rules of the Road as far as RV parks go. Will have to guard against my ougoing manner in the future.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's too bad but at least you know another place you may not be interested in
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
She told you WHAT??!!!

Certainly no one is interested in solicitors or folks annoying people door-to-door, but a friendly hey-how-are-ya?!

Strange folks- honestly, RVers as a group are just so nice and outgoing; individuals can certainly prefer their privacy, but I don't imagine most people would be offended by an approach. Maybe its just the manager.

You might call and ask what kind of organized activities the park offers; if there are get-togethers regularly, there should be a nice sociable feel to the park.

JMHO.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #12

wow! i thought people in South Carolina were nuts. and i moved OUT of Virginia to get away from them..... what's happening to folks???
Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
i think first order of business would be to move to another more friendly park. good luck in your endeavors.
I just found a different park today that I can afford. It is very nice, has all the amenities I want, and people gather in the club room early for coffee, and later in the day for card games and dominoes. It feels like a really good fit. They have some restrictions that I wish they didn't (no skirts unless professionally manufactured) No storage sheds. But they have grass that I can water and they will mow. I can have flowers!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, thank heaven you found a friendly home neighborhood!

No place is perfect, but I'm sure you'll make good friends and have some wonderful times (plus find some helpful fella to give you a hand with those blinds!)

Best of luck-
Allison