Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacing the fan clutch on a 454?

Anybody here done it? Is it much of a deal?

I don't have my manuals here, so if anyone has a blow-by-blow description of the task, it would be appreciated.

On our last move from the state park to down here at our current campsite, we noticed the fan never went into "roar" mode, even on some stiff uphill pulls. In thinking about it, I don't recall hearing it doing its thing in quite a while- probably not at all on the trip from TX to the PNW early this spring.

So, I'm guessing the clutch needs replacing, and I'm also hoping its a trivial little job cuz I've put it off and we're leaving to head back south in 10 days or so.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Sounds like the clutch has certainly failed. First off you will need a step ladder to get you to a comfortable height. Next socket set with deep well sockets(STANDARD NOT METRIC). If over 55 a long sleeve shirt for the blood blisters from working in tight spots. Loosen the belts keeping good memory of where they go. Last and most important remember which bolt comes out of what hole. Other than that it should be a basic changeout

Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you play your cards right, you can remove it with a 1/2 inch combination wrench and not even fool with the belts.
Use the wrench to break all 4 of the water pump to fan nuts loose and remove them one at a time.
The fan and clutch should slide right off the end of the water pump and pulley. On most, you can carefully work the fan and clutch up past the shroud without removing it.
If you are so lucky, remove the fan blade from the old clutch and install on the new one. A 9/16" socket works the best for this.
Reverse the process. Now, with all of that being said, and if it works out that you didn't have to mess with the belts, you'll need to check them for tension after you get the new clutch installed.
Of course all of the above depends on the access you have, I've changed several this way with great success. Usually less than 30 minutes.
The last one was on our Class C with a Chevy 350, probably the same one that is on your 454.

Good luck!

P.S. If the bolts are metric, they will most likely be 13mm and 15mm respectively.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #4

Just went through this easiest way for me to gain access was to revive the lower half of the fan shroud the hardest part is the rusted staples holding it together now drill holes for bolts to reinstall shroud that should give you enough room I was doing the water pump so I was more involved for me to get more room I removed the cross member 4 bolts I would guess 3 or 4 hours the hardest part will be the rusted staples good luck
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, guys. I'm glad to know its pretty much just the 4 bolts what I could feel by hand.

Access looks okay from the top if I just lay a board across the open doghouse and lie on it. I'll let you know.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Thanks, guys. I'm glad to know its pretty much just the 4 bolts what I could feel by hand.

Access looks okay from the top if I just lay a board across the open doghouse and lie on it. I'll let you know.
Guess I should ask,,, what was the engine temp doing this whole time ?? I'd hate for you to change it out for naught,,, but I understand your concern. Our second trip to AZ this year got me concerned with our fan clutch, pulling the "hill from heck" ,, nice words, not mine, pulling out of Camp Verde, temp zoomed up to red before the reasurring roar sound with temps coming back down quick. So I also will be inspecting my fan clutch, before installing a new one. When they go bad, "usually" , not always, you will see tell signs of oil seepage, from the front or back of the clutch.
Just as added insurance, I'm installing dual electric fans in front,,, just peace of mind for me as I don't like those temp spikes... Cooler is better....
Let us know how it goes Senior Chief . If you were a little closer to Arkansas, I'd be happy to help.... Darel
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

I might add, the reason to loosen the water pump/fan belt, is of course those 4 bolts that hold the clutch on sandwich the pulley in between the clutch and pump, so the pulley might cock off the pump shaft with tension on it... "maybe".. D
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Guess I should ask,,, what was the engine temp doing this whole time ?? I'd hate for you to change it out for naught,,, but I understand your concern. Our second trip to AZ this year got me concerned with our fan clutch, pulling the "hill from heck" ,, nice words, not mine, pulling out of Camp Verde, temp zoomed up to red before the reasurring roar sound with temps coming back down quick.
I know that well. Recently pulled it with my '87 SW 28y and about 4000lbs trailer with a partially clogged fuel filter! Used LOTS of gas on that section!!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post

Hope it goes well..waiting for your successful outcome.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #10

When the engine is cold and not running, try moving the fan with your hand, if it spins easily then you need to replace the viscous coupling. If there is considerable resistance then it is probably fine.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #11

You might have an electric fan in front of the radiator. It comes on at about 200 degrees. That should give a loud roar. I haven't heard a loud roar from my engine fan. The electric fan is very easy to get to and change from the front. Just make sure your thermostat control works. Get in traffic with the A/C running and watch your temp gauge. I don't know if this will help but here's a link for you:

P30 Chevrolet Motorhome Chassis Manual

Tags
454, fan