Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #1

replacing walls

My project 1991 30 ft Silver Eagle is slowly coming along

First some history then my questions

The prior owner had a seizure in tenn while camping and the family had the RV towed to Miami. It sat in the side yard unused and unloved for around the last 5 years, the little round vent air in the bathroom was left open and water got in and ruined the bathroom walls, ceiling and floor, it was pretty disgusting.

I got it for a song. On the bright side the motor was replaced 7K miles ago, the RV has 27K miles on it. I have documentation for everything on it except for the chassis and I just recently got a copy here.

The floor is replaced now with 3/4 Oak plywood and I am working on the ceilings

What did most of you do about replacing bad walls?
I cannot find any paneling these days that have decorative finishes. I was thinking to buy 1/8 smooth paneling and just wall paper it, waddyathink?

The ceilings were all covered with a rug type material and most of that arounjd the bathroom is stained and shot from the vent water leakage.

I cannot believe they covered the ceiling in the bathroom with fabric. so what can I use in there, that looks good and is easy to install?

When they built this rv they first covered the entire floor with thick carpet and pad and also the ceiling with a thick fabric and then built all the walls and installed the interior right over the carpet, it is a nightmare to work around and get off, they used jillions of tiny staples, they even had wall to wall carpet in the bathroom and it smelled the worst, they installed the toilet and vanity and tub over the carpet.

Where can I get a new vanity with a granit top and built in sink that is very small 14 x 36? My wife wants the bathroom to be elegant.

We plan to leave the carpet in the bedroom and under the driver and passenger seat and over the motor cover for sound reasons and cover all the rest of the floor with that new resilient plank flooring from home depot.

The walls are my first concern now

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #2

Bilito, I helped a frind of mine do some wall work in a MCI he was converting. We used 1/8 smooth and covered it with a commericle grade wall fabric. It came in 4ft w rolls. It is a little heavier than regular wall paper. It was in a light cream color, but it comes in other colors and prints. he got it from a wall paper/paint store. We cut the panels about 3/16 short and wrapped the material over the top and bottom about 5 inches. Then we trimmed it out with 2 in crown molding and base on the bottom. It came out nice. We installed the sides after putting in the ceiling. The ceiling was 1/8 with vinyl head liner material attached with commerical contact adheseive. We screwed the panels on the sides and ends with flat head screws and covered the long seams with very thin trim that we painted the color as the ceiling material. Hope this will help you out.

Just as a note: we attacted 2 ea 1 x 2 strips to the backs of the ceiling panels to provide support between the rafters prior to covering them. We felt this would take care of ang shagging issue. They have been up for three years now. Also any vents or sky lights installed will help to.

Enjoy your project.

George

Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
Bilito, I helped a frind of mine do some wall work in a MCI he was converting. We used 1/8 smooth and covered it with a commericle grade wall fabric. It came in 4ft w rolls. It is a little heavier than regular wall paper. It was in a light cream color, but it comes in other colors and prints. he got it from a wall paper/paint store. We cut the panels about 3/16 short and wrapped the material over the top and bottom about 5 inches. Then we trimmed it out with 2 in crown molding and base on the bottom. It came out nice. We installed the sides after putting in the ceiling. The ceiling was 1/8 with vinyl head liner material attached with commerical contact adheseive. We screwed the panels on the sides and ends with flat head screws and covered the long seams with very thin trim that we painted the color as the ceiling material. Hope this will help you out.

Just as a note: we attacted 2 ea 1 x 2 strips to the backs of the ceiling panels to provide support between the rafters prior to covering them. We felt this would take care of ang shagging issue. They have been up for three years now. Also any vents or sky lights installed will help to.

Enjoy your project.

George
great ideas, I never thought of VINYL headliner materiaL SAME FOR THE WALL MATERIAL thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wallpaper will work quite well on your new walls- for elegance without fussiness you can use an embossed (anaglypta) paper and paint it tone-on-tone.
(I wouldn't worry about moisture in the bathroom affecting the wall covering- as you know you want all the moisture OUT as its being formed by showering or whatever).

Our Southwind uses headliner for the ceiling material as well.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wishing you the best on your restoration project.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

Would love to see some photos of your progress if you can.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #7

I had the same problems with my bus. Stained fabric headliner and crappy delaminating walls. I sprayed the overhead with tilelex mildew. It worked great, stains and smell are gone. For my walls I removed all the damaged, smelly luan and epoxied formica over the whole deal. When I tried to use the heavy wallpaper it worked for about a year then started peeling. Of course I went right over the old vinyl.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
I had the same problems with my bus. Stained fabric headliner and crappy delaminating walls. I sprayed the overhead with tilelex mildew. It worked great, stains and smell are gone. For my walls I removed all the damaged, smelly luan and epoxied formica over the whole deal. When I tried to use the heavy wallpaper it worked for about a year then started peeling. Of course I went right over the old vinyl.
We found some masonite paneling at Lowes for about 25 bucks a sheet, it's good around water, I have had it for years around window ac units in the house, it holds up well and it had a nice design on it that almost matched the existing stuff