Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #29

I do beieve the Pratt and Lambert paint stores carry it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #30

You can get elastometric caulking from Lowes or Home Depot in the section that has the roofing goo in the 1 gallon & 5 gallon buckets. I think even hardware stores like ACE & TruValue caries it. It comes in a caulking-type tube and you need a caulking gun (in the paint & caulking supplies section). Make sure you get WHITE coloured elastometric. Not the black or silver stuff. It just mainly for looks & it reflects heat/light better. Wear old throw away clothes.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #31

Thanks very much for all the info. Next weekend is supposed to be sunny and warm,so I guess I'm working on the camper next weekend! Yay!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery man View Post
Wow,I'm glad I read this thread! I got my 74 Norris TT out of storage last month and saw where I'n gonna have to reseal the roof and replace a couple of panels in ceiling. Thanks for having your problems first,so I know what to buy and do!

Well, fortunately for me, I'm just one in a long list of those who have had to repair roof seams. It also seems as if replacing old caulking leads to tearing up other areas! Glad you're getting some info. There sure are a lot of great folks here!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
I was told by a RV friend tech from Canada that the better RV repair shops after resealing a roof close off all the openings in the roof and pressurize the RV checking the roof for leaks by soaping the roof and looking for bubbles.I am not sure how a do-it-yourself-er would do that.
An old blower out of a furnace makes a good substitute. I used that to trace a number of potential leak spots and seal them up. But, you can't find them all even with the blower. Some spots you can't get enough air flow out of them to make a bubble.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #34

Well, the roof is almost finished. After finding rotted wood underneath what looked like good wood, I had to take a step back and rethink what I wanted and what I felt I could accomplish myself. I am still in demo mode in the overhead bunk. Boy! That wood is really stuck on there but good!
I also need to seriously consider the back wall where some water has obviously entered at some point in time. That looks like it will be a big job and one that will have to be taken on all by itself.

I'm also repainting (trying to anyway) the striping on the exterior. After several failed attempts, I have come to the conclusion that it might just be a lot easier and maybe a kind of upgrade to actually make three narrow stripes one wide stripe and eliminate the other two. I never realized just how many stripes there are and how time consuming painting each one is.

As I continue to read the forums and see what others have done and the work involved, I'm doubting my initial thoughts about a big remodel. I see one area which leads my eye to the next and the next...but, since I can't afford to buy something else and I love to camp, I think I will just take one thing at a time and try not to do any more damage as I go along. I'll try to get some pics posted, but haven't quite figured it out yet.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am doing the same thing you are with the roof and repairs, Id be lost if it werent for people on this form to help out, I got this trailer to live in if I loose my house so its critical that I fix it and correctly to, so I took pics and posted and asked for help here, and get advised as to what and how to do things, I am still in the stages of scraping the roof to reseal it and assesing other damages, that I wasnt told about,however its like everyone here is helping me with the rebuild and pretty much helping to save me and my 5 fukids life really, and with people here helping me, hey I can do this, I am just alittle old lady, spunky one but definatly willing to get dirty and get-er-done, and with people here advising I can, there is nothing on that trailer that I cant fix with the help of people here, here take a look at my trailer project http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...vhost=outdoors , I been getting help from people with this post here is some of my post and the advice I have been getting they are working with me step by step and if I can do it you can to there is nothing that cant be done with the help of these fantastic people here on these forms OH MY MY, not what I wanted to see
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #36

The method to seal a roof is the following.

Scrape clean

Wash with TPS

Caulk the seams

Prime and then apply seam tape-then prime on top of that.

Apply two coats of kool roof or snow roof letting each cure 24 to 48 hrs.

I am not sure if kool roof or snow roof is rated for a galvanized roof.Much of what you have seen me post came from kool roof or snow roof tech 800 number and the rest from Lorna & her husband a member of this forum.Do a search on your computer and call the provided 800 number.I couldn't find it again.

I am a moderator on a unrealated web site and that does take up abit of my time.So I post as much as I can to help out.

Gary
Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #37

beuhler 740 -thanks! I'm with ya. I am 'spunky' myself and have no problem with hard work as I have done that all my life. It is just a bit overwhelming and I have never done this stuff before. I like to do things myself, though, and you're right, the people on this forum are absolutely superb and know I can ask for, and receive, help for my areas of concern.

I feel for your situation, and hope that it does not come down to your having to move into you TT. There are a lot of sad stories out there and it's very sad. I will take a look at your pics, etc. and am sure I will learn some more. Again, thank you for your support!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
well I will just have to try to do my best on it, yesterday it was raining in the trailer, I slipped and put my hand right through the celing, and about a gallon of water came out, so now all the back wall is ripped out and I guess the celing will have to be replaced to, I am working against the weather as well, so we are kinda in the same boat , lots of work to do, I really didnt expect all this but might as well just get busy and do the best I can with it, I 'd be really lost without people here really, I am on this site in the vintage section here to so come on over lots of good people all over this site, there is nothing we cant do with all these great people here
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #39

Well, this is turning out to be a huge mess! I have ripped out the ceiling in the overhead to the skin--all rotted wood, wiring exposed. I imagine the sides are the same. This started off as a simple re-caulking project! I am just going to take this one step at a time and try to look at this as something I CAN do and not something I cannot do.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
dont feel bad, you are not alone, we're in the same boat, grab a paddle and off we go, I sitll have some scraping to do before I can start sealing , I got this stuff called dyco seam sealer and the roof coating to, guy at the store says no primer but the cans say primer, some of this stuff I am trying to scrap off is just not want to come off, my hands are so sore but just gotta keep at it and befoe we know it will be all done, I been working on the inside while it rains, rebuilt the back wall structure, ripped out most of the celing just the edges to go on that
Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #41

LOL! Yep! Hopefully, we will, one day, be able to laugh at the memories. I figure I have nothing to lose and will learn a lot in the process. As far as the primer is concerned, I have personnally found that I prefer to follow the directions that the manufacturer has advised rather than someone who may or may not know what they're talking about. In addition, if something fails, you may have recourse with the company if you followed their directions and it didn't work as indicated. JMHO.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #42

Well we've had thunderstorms everyday. I missed sealing a couple of very small areas along the cap. Got water inside the overhead, but that is where I am tearing it all out anyway. The bigger problem is the window there. The frame around the glass is leaking and I will have to find some replacement framing. I also removed the back window to find rotted paneling. Of course more thunderstorms while the window was out!

I also found something interesting inside my kitchen cupboard. A stray kitty and her four little babies! They look to be about two weeks old. I am planning on going camping next weekend. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with this little family. Maybe they can just come along with me!