Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Pabell, Very nice old '66' Chevy Fleetside shortbed! I also like the vintage stuff, This is a "66" also, that I had sitting in the garage at the house in the country. It is a 350/350hp, turbo 350 auto. I gave it to my son when I sold all of my stuff and moved over here. We had just sub framed it with a firebird front with power steering and disc brakes! Had not swapped the rear end yet, in this picture. Still has the barn dust all over it. The interior has been all redone already, and just trying to update the driving and stopping a little bit! It was all original when I got it, and was the U of Illinois athletic ass. P-Up when I bought it. Still has the plac on the dash! Hot water 6 and 3 on the tree!! A lot more fun to drive now!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0119 (2).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	98264

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #30

Pabell that is a great looking truck. I too have a 66, but it is being stored until the funds are secured.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #31

Lost most of the day yesterday enjoying the local watermelon festival - did go down yesterday afternoon and glued up 4 ribs - goal was to repair worst area around front A/C today - Didn't do bad for an old man and a radio ( not that old just high mileage)
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #32

Tried to post before and after - here's before - having problem posting more than one picture at a time
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2015, 02:00 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Looking good, Pabell, you going to redo the whole roof? Or just the bad areas? As long as it is solid, I would think you could just redo the bad area's as needed! As long as the adhesive for the rubber roof material stick's to the old roof wood ok? The last thing you want is to have it come un-stuck after awhile, or while you are driving down the road! I have seen the rubber roof's bubbled up on MH's going down the road, with the wind getting under them! That is one thing I look for when buying a MH, if it has a rubber roof, seeing if there are wrinkles in it where it has come unstuck!! Rail!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #34

Subscribed!

I've got my own restoration project out in the garage right now... '94 HR... and I'm always looking for ideas on how to do things and what materials to use so that someday when I start back up on it, I'll know what I'm doing.

Good luck!

-cheers
Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #35

Rail, I've already got plywood to replace the whole top. The old plywood is really dried out and full of staples- don't plan on skimping on anything on top- lots of work to get down to it - as far as rubber I was told I could trowel on adhesive instead of rolling on - I am an old flooring guy and feel like you can control application rate a lot better troweling on rather than rolling it on. I've starting tearing out bad spots first to repair any damage to ribs sliding old sheets around to walk on.

Pike, maybe you can learn with me, I'm learning as I go - this motor home roof and one more will make me two But I've always been a DIY guy and have alway been in and around construction. We built our dream house about 8 years ago, doing a lot of the work myself.

Thanks for following along - any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated

Have a blessed day
Old 06-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabell90 View Post

Pike, maybe you can learn with me, I'm learning as I go - this motor home roof and one more will make me two But I've always been a DIY guy and have alway been in and around construction. We built our dream house about 8 years ago, doing a lot of the work myself.

Thanks for following along - any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated

Have a blessed day
I'd love to be learning along with you... but at this point my project is kind of at a standstill. I won't steal your thread, but here's a pic of where I'm at right now. I did manage to get the engine taken out, rebuilt, and put back in last winter, but since then I haven't been able to do much of anything.

I think my next move will be to spray foam the entire exterior between the studs... then reside with aluminum/luan panels. At least I think that's what I'm gonna do...

It looks like your exterior siding is still in good shape. That is definitely a plus.

-cheers

Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #37

Piker - thanks for response and the encouragement, hopefully you can get fired back up on your project soon - just getting engine rebuilt is a major accomplishment Sure looks like you have a nice shop to work in - that's a great plus, I'm working under or hay barn and my brother has been cutting some hay so the pressure will be on for me to complete the roof, planning to build a shed for my coach but never enough time - May end up paying someone to put it up for me.

My wife and I (34yrs) both have very full time jobs - 3 grown kids with 6 grands and two more on the way - sometimes I wonder why I get myself involved with projects like this - guess its a kind of therapy for me

Y'all bare with me since I usually get about a day a week to work on coach

Hoping everyone a blessed day
Old 06-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Pabell,
You are doing great work, don't get discouraged, the end result will be very satisfying to you knowing that you did it yourself.

Piker,
Looks like you are doing a heck of a job also, keep at it and don't get in a hurry, remember that you look at 1 thing at a time to finish, and before you know it, things will come together.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
Great work Pabell. I am learning from your experience. I need to re-do my roof also. Working on repairing wheel fender flares now in preparation of putting on some paint on sides.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
PPL always shows a sale on something you look at on their site. It seems to always expire in 2 days, but even when I search all over, I very rarely find it cheaper. I keep going back because of their great service. Fast reasonably priced shipping and they will!replace a bad part ASAP no hassle. I highly recommend them.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #41

Wow guys thanks for responses

I had mentioned earlier about the size of the electrical cut outs in the roof ribs - here's a picture with the old rib in front of new one - all the ones I've replaced have had enough room for the existing wires to pass thru the smaller cut out - feel they severely compromised the rib by cutting out more than necessary. Also any ribs I've replaced have been doubled. The only double ribs I've found so far have been adjacent to A/C units. Still have plans to add more reinforcement at A/C units.

Davdeb1 - ordered roofing material from PPL last Thursday - no notification that it has been shipped yet but I'm still a few weeks away from being ready for it. Any more recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I plan to replace everything on the top with new equipment (a/c's,fans,vent covers ect.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	98794  
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabell90 View Post
Thought I would post pic of mural on back - it's still in great condition
Pabell90
For more info about, and and pics of, other Safari murals see: