Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Pabell, that looks like a 80's CC! Good luck! Those coach's were built very good! Solid as a rock! I have looked at a couple of them, but the bathroom was too small for me! Rail!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #72

Another weekend,

Started early this morning, went with wife to Wausau, a little town in our county that has a Possum festival 1st sat in August (usually hottest day of the year). They celebrate the possum because they said it kept folks from starving during the depression. Only went for pancake breakfast by the Shriners. Wife's job is an elected position but at least this is not an election year.

Managed to get back to MH about 9:00 am - worked on top most of the day-installed insulation and plywood in 8' sections - felt good to throw old plywood off the top - managed to get 3 pcs on one side with insulation laid all the way across - used leaf blower to give one more cleaning before putting in insulation - worked great - hopefully get a few more hrs on top tomorrow.

Worked till about 5:30 then drove 45 miles one way to join my daughters and grans for dinner - just got home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	101820  
Pabell90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:35 AM   #73

Very nice! What kind of plywood are you using? I've been debating between luan, marine plywood, exterior grade plywood, and regular plywood for my wall panel construction...

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #74

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Pabell,
Starting to look like a MH again, looking good.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #75

Piker,

The plywood I'm using is BC grade exterior - one side finished smooth, other side looks like decking. I used a piece of 1/4" AC on the ceiling In living room because was the only thing I could find that was full 1/4" thick.

Been following along with your siding project, still thinking it's going to be tough hanging plywood and aluminum together. My idea would be to put plywood on then apply aluminum.

Looks like your doing just fine with the bin behind wheels - guess your rig has seen some salt before by the looks of the frame work. I've already cleaned and painted my battery rack which is located behind tire on right side. Glad I didn't have that kind of rust to deal with. At least it's just a storage compartment and not full of other components.

Keep up the good work - Enjoying the progress

Here's a pic of stamp on back side of plywood
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	72
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	101900  
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #76

Here's something I found, when they installed vent pipe they misaligned and just drove it in. Vent was definitely leaking gasses into the attic area.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	79
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	101901  
Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #77

Here's how pipe was drove in offset.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	87
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	101903  
Old 08-03-2015, 04:10 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Looking good , are you also gluing the plywood? I glued and screwed mine down.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:36 AM   #79

Harley,

I thought about glueing everything, even bought a case of liquid nail but I decided to just screw it down - it was just stapled originally - was thinking if anyone ever opened it back up the glue would be a problem. Then I thought that would be there problem because I don't think I'll every do it again. Also doing it all by myself and positioning the sheets on the glue would be a mess.

I'm probably going to add a sheet of 1/4 in luan over plywood to level top with fiberglass roll overs on sides - thinking I may glue it to plywood -

Appreciate any advice - have enjoyed watching your progress and admire your work - mine seems to be moving so slow but I usually only get a day on weekend to work on it - this thread really helps to keep me from getting discouraged - also watching others like yourself helps

Hope all a blessed day - pabell

Found your next project Harley
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	91
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	101916  
Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #80

Freightliner Owners Club
Pabell,
Nice next project for Terry, lol. The progress that Terry makes is one of the advantages of being retired, so don't get discouraged with your lack of rapid progress. Also the temperature that you have to put up with makes it very hard to put any significant time on your project. You are doing fine and your work is superb, so keep up the great work that you have been doing and don't get discouraged.
Frank
Old 08-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I second what Frank says, being retired gives me all day and then some to work, your doing great, and the heat can be as bad as the cold up here to work in. Hay don't laugh I was involved with a project very similar to that one we had to cut a six ash tree out of the window, that model T looks like a show room now.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #82

Frank, Harley

Thanks for encouragement - the heat has definitely been a factor, still bumping on a 100 here every day unless we get an afternoon shower like we did today.

All just in fun about new project for you Harley - the transformation on your TT has been amazing and I'm sure what every you put your mind to will turn out great - you are definitely a visionary.

I'm ready to order the rest of the components for the top - any and all recommendations would be appreciated - Brands - Venders ect.

Here's a short list of thinks I know I want to replace

Both A/C units
Both exhaust vents / fans
Gray and black tank vents
Refrigerator vent 5 1/4"x 24"

Thanks pabell
Old 08-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #83

Freightliner Owners Club
The list on each of your parts is long, and I wouldn't say one is any better/worse than the other. I would look for a quality item for each at a good price, let the quality and price dictate which brand. You have put in enough work to be proud of your unit.
Frank
Old 08-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pabell,

Just found your thread and all I can say is "Wow", you are doing great!

Terry used a "donor trailer" for parts. Don't forget to check if you have something in your area that might be at a price that would provide you with AC units, a fridge, cupboards, vents, and anything else that may come to mind. Some people just want to get rid of an old TT out of their yard. Could save you a lot of money.

I look forward to watching your build. Looks like you will have an incredible unit when you are done. With working it will go slower than you want but you will get it done and it will be worth it in the end.

Great job, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote