Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Pabell, I second what Lynne said I purchased a 5th wheel trailer that the roof was leaking on and was really not fixable, I think I paid like 500 or so and used ALOT of the parts, it paid for itself many times, if you have room and can take it apart it could be an option. Ebay and Amazon can be your friend, reefer vents ect are cheaper on line for name brand items. Craigs list, I have bought numerous things on it, check it everyday the good deals go fast. I also have bought items at my local trailer sales, check and see if they have a clearance area, I bought a door for mine for less than a quarter what full price was. When your replacing items like a vent or a fan look at going upgrade it'll be worth it when your using it, best part is you'll know your unit better than just buying one, and cheaper too.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #86

Harley , Lynne

Thanks for replies and I agree with you about watching craigslist, I've bought a lot of motorcycles and parts there. My thoughts are to use everything new on the top, probably could have gotten away with the A/C units with some repairs but they are 25 yrs old.I've got so much work in top already and here in Florida good ac is a must.

I went into this knowing I was going to have to spend money to get it right. We have the income to have been able to afford a newer unit but my intent was to fix this one how we wanted it. The efficiency and reliability of new units I feel will be worth the cost. We both have limited time off and want any time spent using MH to be as enjoyable as possible.

I have a tendency to keep things for a long time especially if it's nice (been married 34yrs she's nice) I really don't intend to cut many corners remodeling because I really hope we can get to enjoy it.

I'm doing the work myself because I feel it would be almost impossible to get someone to do all that needs to be done. Even if I did, for what it would have cost I could have purchased a newer coach.

If we don't enjoy it like I think we will. I think I should have no problem getting my money back ( minus labor ) lol -- I've never been able to afford to pay someone to doing things for me and now that I could I don't feel the quality would be what I wanted.

Hope it don't take forever to complete but I do have a contractor scheduled to put me up a garage to keep it under soon. I'm on his list and he plans to be here within a couple of weeks.

Once this thing is complete I don't know how far it will get from home but I sure every trip will be a memory

Thanks guys - pabell

Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #87

Worked today prepping site for new MH shed. (24'x48')Hoping contractor will be here to put it up soon. My brother is quickly filling up the hay barn so I've got to move ASAP. Had to take down 3 medium size oak trees and reshape drainage to go around site. Sure made it a lot easier having my brothers John Deere tractor with loader. Piled all tops up to burn later and piled logs up until I can rent a log splitter later. We bought a 450 JD dozer several years ago for the farm so I was able to remove the stumps too. Already have fill dirt scheduled for first of the week. New shed will be right next to my house and shop. Will be nice to get it setup so I don't have to run back to shop every time I need something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	102569  
Old 08-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Pabell, Sounds like it'll be great to have your own shop to work in.
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #89

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice Pabell, hope that the building goes up soon. It will be nice to have your unit close.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #90

It's awesome that you'll have a building to store and work on your rig. We lucked out when we bought our house 16 years ago... it had a nice big pole building that was part of the property. All I had to do to get the RV in was to add a big sliding door on the gable end of the building. Earlier this summer the shingles finally gave way and I had to put a new roof on it, but other than that, it's been mostly maintenance free... "knock on wood..."

Looking forward to more pics of your restoration.

-cheers