Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #1

needs some new studs in the walls and ceilings and some wire replacing where mice have thewed on them i'm thinking about taking out the paneling and do the work from the in side
any pointers will be helpfullalso i will be taking still photos as i do this job any susjustion would be helpful please email me with them or post them hear

thanks steven

in a week or two i will be towing this traile home so i can get started i realy don't think there is that much wrong with the trailer

i really could use any susgestions on this restoration
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #2

needs some new studs in the walls and ceilings and some wire replacing where mice have thewed on them i'm thinking about taking out the paneling and do the work from the in side
any pointers will be helpfullalso i will be taking still photos as i do this job any susjustion would be helpful please email me with them or post them hear

thanks steven

in a week or two i will be towing this traile home so i can get started i realy don't think there is that much wrong with the trailer

i really could use any susgestions on this restoration
Old 08-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #3

....re-insulate with Foam Insulation-panels and spray can foam....cut's you HVAC in half and makes any trailer more confortable in the HOT and COLD....geof
Old 08-25-2004, 01:58 PM   #4

thanks i think i am going to do that sounds easy as soon as i replace a few studes and find out the type of windows i'm going to need for replacements
Old 08-25-2004, 07:19 PM   #5

....also look into window drapes that have refletix bubble wrap on the outside....great in the sun...geof
Old 08-26-2004, 03:15 AM   #6

Hi Steven, I'm in the process of restoring 1984 coachmen cadet 19 ft. TT. I have had to replace some of the floor structure and now working on the stud wall in the front. I have gutted the interior wall and ceiling paneling. I used styro foam and spray in insulation on the floor worked well. Good luck with your refurbish.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #7

Ripping out birchwood paneling (all of it) now on our 62 Winny. Using foam panels and canned foam insulation is a great idea. Anyone finding less expensive 1/8 inch birchwood anywhere? What I've located is pretty high dollars and I'm a low budget guy.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:03 PM   #8

....since Hurricane Charlie-wood has gone up in price overnite...consider other materials if you can..."think outside the box"....there are some cardboard based materials that are coated that sure act like wood and are fire resistant as will as plastics used in manufacturing of outdoor signs....have you inquired as to the price of Canadain materials since you are close....how about used materials?....and what about office dividers-the ones that are vinal coated with kind of a wood pulp interior?.....just sone suggestions....geof
Old 08-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #9

cool all great susjestions i will take all in conceration and more as they come in they are all great ideas
i think its a 1984 wilderness travel trailer could be older i got some pic of the outside of the trailer. any one wants to see pic i will email then to you
Old 08-27-2004, 02:57 AM   #10

I would be very leary of using any grade of particle board in a trailer (or bus conversion). Old particleboard does swell (from humidity) and deteriorate even the high density cabinet grade particle board. Also the "bouncing down the road" causes vibrations which allow the screws/nails to work their way out. MDF & HDF (hard to find) is the same. But that is my personal opinion. Restoring & converting is a time consuming project. I think that it just ought to be done with materials that will last. Otherwise what you have is nothing better than the stuff that is rolling off the assembly lines today.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:56 PM   #11

i have some photos posted on the site some where
Old 08-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #12

in the photos it shows an awaning it is not there right now been taken off due to its condition still any sugestions are welcome getting lot of ideas
Old 08-27-2004, 08:06 PM   #13

.....Steven:....send me the photos.....KAYERIVERCITY@CINCI.RR.COM.....geof
Old 08-28-2004, 02:14 AM   #14

they are posted on the forume they are posted as steven restoration project