Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

RESTORE: 78 Winnebago TRANSFER SWITCH upgrade

Thanks tderrone, you made alot of sense in your statement. "You dont know what changes have been made..." there's A LOT of splicing going on. I am guessing this coach didnt come with the two solar panels it has.

So if I have to reverse engineer it, I might as well bring it up to my standards and not the dozens of patches everywhere. The pictures of the 120v plug in the galley show the original bakelite speared plug that was spliced to the lavatory. The thin paneling it is mounted to is 40 years old as well. So gotta rework that cabinet.

Now to the issue, I would like comment on upgrading to a Manual or Auto TRANSFER SWITCH

thanks,

P.S. For reference, pics will be will be added to my thread,"RESTORE: 1978 Winnebago Itasca Sun Cruiser Dodge chassis?."
Apostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking forward to see your rebuild on this baby.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #3

RESTORE: 78 bago TRANSFER SWITCH upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Looking forward to see your rebuild on this baby.
I found a auto/TRANSFER SWITCH $54+s&h but I maybe be leaning towards a manual.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #4

isolated circuit

The subject of this thread was "transfer switch" My concern was it the original was removed how to replace it. But it wouldnt be an issue at the moment if the genny was bad.

I ordered a generic fuel pump just cuz. Turns out it was reason enough as the fuel line from the tank by suction wont deliver, suspect a broken dry rot hose. After that, I rigged up a fuel tank and started the genny. It started and kept running. I notice the prime wasnt flowing like before rather trickling. The genny was running a bit rough. Before I shut it off to inspect the fuel pump (replace) and the carb which I am going to blow out and clean best I can, I threw the breaker with a 120vac test light plugged in.

YIPEE YAHOO! I have 120vac!!!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #5

That's cause for beverage for sure.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

Winnie Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
That's cause for beverage for sure.
OH YEAH! while I am documenting the carb. A single barrel Nikki 67Y 90881A C120021.

Thats done. Cleaned the bowl after a gentle disassembly. Hint remove the carb first on a generac impact 36 when you R &R the fuel pump.

Blew out the jets bleeder etc. with blow gun.

And time for another round!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Anybody done it?

Has anyone converted an ISOLATION shore/generator circuit to a manual transfer switch. Theres a remote genny starter button in the coach that works.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
The subject of this thread was "transfer switch" My concern was it the original was removed how to replace it. But it wouldnt be an issue at the moment if the genny was bad.
Nothing was removed. Progressive Dynamics did produce a few AC/DC Power Control Centers in the late 70's that had a automatic AC transfer relay for shore power/generator however your PD-734 model power center did not have that capability. Original design had you plug the shore power cable into the generator receptacle located in the shore power storage compartment. The PD-734 does have a 12VDC transfer relay that transfers between the coach battery and the 37 amp converter.

So, if you want to add a automatic transfer switch, you have to change the complete AC input side circuit to the 30 amp AC input breaker inside the PD-734 Power Center.

PD5100 Transfer Switch Manual
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Nothing was removed. Progressive Dynamics did produce a few AC/DC Power Control Centers in the late 70's that had a automatic AC transfer relay for shore power/generator however your PD-734 model power center did not have that capability. Original design had you plug the shore power cable into the generator receptacle located in the shore power storage compartment. The PD-734 does have a 12VDC transfer relay that transfers between the coach battery and the 37 amp converter.

So, if you want to add a automatic transfer switch, you have to change the complete AC input side circuit to the 30 amp AC input breaker inside the PD-734 Power Center.

PD5100 Transfer Switch Manual
Dave78Chief,

Thanks, I was hoping I could reroute the generator receptacle to a MANUAL SWITCH" theres an access panel in galley below the drawers.

picture coming.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

As far as manual switches, the Blue Sea switch is about the only one I know of.

Automatic switches
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
As far as manual switches, the Blue Sea switch is about the only one I know of.

Automatic switches
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

thanks

Tags
switch, transfer switch, upgrade, winnebago