Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #15

Man you are really gettin' it done, Awesome! I love it. Any upgrades planned?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
wow lots going on, wondering are you going to change the floor plan? or are you leaving it the same way?
looking good
gbstewart
for the most part there is no floor plan change. however when I purchased it there was almost no cabinets left so My overhead storage will be donated to the Mallard from my Shasta TT that had a tree fall on it. also the Kitchen counter will be coming from the same donor. the biggest change so far other then the stronger framing is the overhead bunk area. we had originally built it with the pass thru cut out, however at the request of my wife we changed it to a permanent deck. a little less convenient for going from the cab to the back but still quite doable and makes my headliner building easier. I will post more pictures later but I am just taking a quick break right now.

Thank you for all the positive comments it really does recharge my batteries a bit..

74 Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
Man you are really gettin' it done, Awesome! I love it. Any upgrades planned?
My carpenter estimated a two week completion date for the interior.my estimate and that of my wallet may be a little longer but I am anticipating using it by late August early September. as for upgrades right now I am using what I have available. It already has the Gas furnace, stove-oven and range hood the 12v water pump works, the bathroom is intact still other then the ceiling, so no real upgrades there. there is no fridge in it so that will come out of my TT also. flooring will be either fresh carpet or tile not sure yet. Lighting will be changing but that will be a slow change to LED fixtures. I also will be putting the awning from my TT on. the only other change was the overhead bunk not having the center removable anymore.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Only 6 photos tonite I will take more tomorrow of the finished Front Bunk decking.

1989 Chevy Mallard Sprinter - a set on Flickr

I t will start to slow down a bit soon as I will be going back to work on Monday but still one more day of Vacation time left to get some work done.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
more new pictures

We started on the floor today, my usual carpenter was busy so, My son and I started to replace the floor we had some weak plywood under the dinette where the fresh water tank and hot water tank are located (one under each seat) once we opened it up we found very little water damage below the floor level. we did replace what damaged floor supports we found. took a few pictures and here they are.

thanks for reading
Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #20

Looking forward to seeing this through. Got a similar project of my own. Keep the pics coming!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a quick question. On the floor did you have to rebuild the whole floor or just weak spots?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #22

Git-r-done!!! Looking good!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherrRv View Post
I have a quick question. On the floor did you have to rebuild the whole floor or just weak spots?
well I have pulled up the section we put in last night only because the next section back that had degraded plywood also had a bit too much rot below the plywood decking. rather then piece in a few short lengths I chose to replace the 2x2" with 2x3" and give much more strength to the unit as a whole I have been photographing as I go again today so I will update the photos later so you can see the before and after. I also have to re cut the plywood i installed last night because we drew the outside wall back in about 1/2" so now my plywood is too long to fit.. (a word of advise to anyone who draws a wall back in , take up the plywood floor BEFORE you draw it in !) can you guess who did it the other way ? so to answer your question I WAS going to replace just where it was weak but now I am replacing about 3/4 of the floor.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Smile

a few pictures from tonight's floor repair I still have a little more framing to do then we can lay the plywood back in. then Floor is done. did find thet the house Battery box (sheet metal) had the bottom rot out which damaged the sheet metal under the floor so I will have to get some new sheet metal to repair that. but I will be putting the house battery in a vented battery box (plastic Boat/RV ) so that will never happen again. still doing good budget wise thanks to my brother in law donating 3 sheets of plywood for my floor.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Floor In floor out floor in

Ok floor was in then back out but wait we put it back in. this time its really done found a hidden 2x3 in the wall that was rotten. and had to remove the floor I just put into replace it . this time the floor stays and we are all solid again 3/4 of the floor is now new. whew I think I'm going to take a day off from working on this, we have been on it every day since it arrived in my driveway. Just a quick breather,then right back at it. Lumber is almost all used up, I'm going to need another Home Depot run.
my list of donated materials is growing too
Brother in law 3 sheets of plywood for the floor
My wifes Boss donated a new solar battery charger
and most importantly My Carpenter Luke (Free Labor)
my Son and Brother in law (Free Labor), my wife and Daughter (clean up assistance and moral support)

we will Git-er Done for sure

Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the information. I really needed to know how to do the floor repairs. You rock dance
Old 08-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
A little more work done today. I have the wall behind the Dinette finish Framed and the water connection and hot water heater back in place.

3 new Pictures 1989 Chevy Mallard Sprinter - a set on Flickr
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
@ 74 Shasta, you are doing a great job. When you finish you will have a well built motorhome for you and family to enjoy for a long time. Good to see that you have envolved all your children and wife in this project. Each one will have sweat equity in a fun machine. Keep the good work going.