I just finished refinishing my stove and it came out great. I changed the color from beige to white to match my new countertop freezer. I used high heat paint from Home Depot. I just gave the entire stove a light sanding and was careful to smooth out the one rusty spot. The key is a good taping job. I missed taping a spot on the oven handle and had a heck of a time getting the white off. I assume you will be smarter than I was and remove the stovetop to paint it.
Not only are the fumes vicious (even with a mask on) but everything within five feet had a light film from the paint residue. You could see what looked like smoke coming out of the windows and doors when I would run outside between light coats. I also did my fridge using appliance paint, same process, same fumes, same residue. Thank God for Goo Gone