RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

Revitalizing Front Plastic Bumper Cover on 90 series Bounder

We have a 95 Bounder that the front plastic/polypropylene bumper cover has faded and no longer matches the adjacent basement door color.

https://postimg.cc/image/khu17mgjj/

Besides repainting, is there any proven methods to re-vitalize the plastic and bring back the original impregnated color?

Thanks in advance!

Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

I can't speak for your obviously, but that's from back in the day when I was doind paint and body. With the paint available at that time, many manufacturers were having a hard time with some of the materials being used for bumper fascias, spoilers and the like. It's possible that it never was a really good match to begin with, or, it may have been replaced since new?

Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #3

I suspect Timberwolf is right, the original match was probable not exact. And UV exposure over time always seems to drive them further apart.

I'm not aware of any product that will restore the original molded in color but you might try one of "dressing" products made for plastics, they tend to darken the color and might bring it a little closer.

Paint is the only way to get it well matched. But be aware that even with the same paint used on both surfaces the adhesion promoter/flex agent required to paint the bumper will shift the color slightly in most paints. The only way to get a perfect match is to start with two different colors with the one used on the bumper adjusted to compensate for the shift.

Gary
Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #4

mine looks the same and I have tried a number of products with no luck. You could paint it with plastidip, they have many colors.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #5

Yours looks better than mine.
I am going to paint the bumper cover with a white plastic primer.
Someone did a poor job repainting my basement. Looks like it was done many years ago.

Then I will paint both the bumper cover and the basement.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

Interestingly enough, the oils in peanut butter do a great job of shining up faded plastic parts. I hit all the plastic on my f250 a couple times per year to keep it fresh looking.

Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, cover