Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Rexhall and Gulfstream Class DP

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 1990 Gulfstream Friendship on a Spartan chassis. It needs a lot of work but if the price is right it maybe worth while. It has delaminated body panels from water in all the wheel well areas. Also looking at a 1998 Rexhall Anthem unit on a Spartan chassis with disc brakes. Both units have Cummins engines and Allison transmissions. I have been reading about quality issues with the Rexhall units. Being new to the game, I don't whant to make a bad purchase and would appreciate any input on these to coaches or perhaps a btter brand to go with.

Thanks,

Martin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

The more experience you have with delams, the more likely you are to turn your back on one when shopping for a coach.

The greatest, lowest mileage chassis in the world will not offset the fact the body is melting around it.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the delam is a biggest concern with this motorhome. The panels have plywood backing overlaid with metal and this is what is coming away. My thoughts were to cut out the plywood and rebuild the panels with an insert made up of a composite material such as fiber glass and styrofoam or plywood and fiberglass. I was even tempted to call Gulfstream and have a talk to their tech department.
Once again, thank you.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #4

Having spent the last couple of years restoring a 1990 Gulfstream, I would suggest you keep saving up money and keep shopping! I only paid $3800. for my 30' Sun Clipper, the roof was rotten, the floor was rotten and all the appliances were shot. I've fixed the entire exterior, roof, re-laminated the interior walls and put down a bamboo floor. I'm planning on all new appliances. So far so good, but every time I open someplace on the bus I haven't touched, it's gone! My nagging fear is while on the road, one good bump and the entire back section will collapse. There are loads of newer-better busses for sale for not a lot more money.

Now that I've looked at a Friendship, if it's built like mine the only delamination is in the wheel wells. Everything above the bus bed is fiberglass and styrofoam. I replaced my delaminating plywood with sheet foam insulation, it's non-load bearing. I also covered the exterior seam with diamond plate.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
PeterS,
Thanks for the valuable input. The Gulfstream has 76,000 miles on it and a 4 speed Allison transmission. The owner is asking $15,000-$17,000 which as far as I am concerned is over the top for the condition of the unit I was thinking of $8,000-$10,000. The interior needs to be refurbished and exterior paint is rough. It is case of time versus money and what do you end up with after all the work. Yes, the only delam is in the wheel wells. I was going for either stainless steel or like you, diamond plate. I'm guessing that if you knew then what you know now you would not have taken on the task of rebuilding the Gulf Stream Clipper. We are going to keep looking for another Diesel class A and I'll put this one on the back burner for more research. I did find a nice Rexhall Anthem unit for $25,000. Has few small issues but I can deal with those.
Martin
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
KAS

I read this and once more I am amazed at the deal hubby got on our Rexhall!

I think I'm going to go give him another hug for finding an RV we could afford that is in such great shape.

Tags
gulfstream