Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
I recently found a very nice RV park in Deming, NM that had restriction of vehicles 2000 or newer. I sent them a picture of my Bluebird and they answered "Your RV is fine, come on out and stay as long as you like". Looking forward to visiting when I get home.
I also hate to have to park next to the Clampets (no insult to the Clampets, I think they would have been FUN to stay next to) but there is a certain "standard" that I can understand. We try to be responsible fulltime rv'ers (pick up after our dogs, maintain our rig, no loud music, anytime and even when sitting outside at night, we keep the volume down and enjoy nature). We have camped next to some people that partied all night long, drank till the bottles were empty and let their kids run through our site. This seems to be more common on weekends with the people who don't know the "polite rules" of society.
Anyway, getting this answer from the park was very nice and may have changed my mind about the 10 year rule.
Take care everybody, safe travels, and thanks for the interesting discussions.

"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing
but the sanction you give it" - John Galt
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
Txiceman KOA in Arlington hose has to be raised they said it was the city I stayed there 5 months was the park handy man good money

whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
Although our DSDP is a 2000 model, when asked I tell 'em it's a 2002. And next year I'll say 2003. I have yet to have anyone come out of the office to see my coach. And even if they did they probably wouldn't know the year of it anyway.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #18
Country Coach Owners Club
I think it's stupid on the part of the campgrounds to do that. Most people I know with 10-20 year old coaches take very good care of them, and many still look brand new. Up until last June I had a 1985 MCI bus conversion. People were always "shocked" when they found out how old it was, they thought it was a couple years old a most.

Is there anyone out there who has not seen the Robin Williams movie "RV"? If you're the campground owner, would you rather have the rental unit with the people who know nothing about what they are doing or the family in the spotless old bus conversion?
2001 Country Coach Affinity
Liberty, Rubicon, Tundra
Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do know what the park owners say.. But this is my theory and I'm sticking to it, NOTE that my rig is a youngster (only 7 years old)

If the park has so much business that they feel they have to turn folks away because their perfectly good RV is more than 10 years old..... They do not need mine.

Or yours

Park elsewhere.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
My 1978 was a bit rough when I got it (damaged/missing compartment doors, broken water filler fixture on the outside of the van) but I have been repairing it. Overall it looks pretty darn nice for it's age.

It actually has a nice retro look that many older motorhomes lack that look very dated due to the exterior design and color. Mine is very streamlined looking. It has been compared to the space shuttles in appearance. It has lots of curves to it, it's not boxy at all on the outside. The cream color is also appealing to the eyes. It helps that it doesn't have a super tall high top that so many Class B's get.

Some 70's vans/motorhomes got painted 'poo' brown. Yuck! The interior of my van is very 70's (lime green shag carpet!) but that's not what people see when I drive up and I've learned to basically ignore it. I don't stare at the carpet for hours on end and really, it gives the van some character so I'm leaving it. Plus I don't care to waste money having it replaced when it's still in pretty good condition overall.

The walls are all white (some dark fake wood cabinets, but light fake wood countertop/table). One wall had white/green wallpaper that is all messed up so I have torn most of it out. Still not sure how to deal with that but it's the least of my concerns right now since it's interior and purely cosmetic.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
Why not start a list thread where people can post their findings or experiences with a campground that turned them away? The topic HAS been beaten to death, but for good reasons. I plan to fulltime when my 77 Concorde is done... but its going to be a nicely restored rig. If and when i take my home on a road trip, it'd be great to have a list of parks blacklisted as snobbery wastes of time.
dale5of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Please do post that list, that way I'd know which parks will be best to stay at
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
Our '02 Georgetown just made the list, I guess. It's in really nice shape, has only about 15,000 miles on it (3500 we put on it) and it looks fine. If I'm turned away by any snooty-ass CG, be sure I'll raise hell about them in the CG reviews section.

There are many reasons to refuse a space - the age of the RV is one that needs a lot of additional data to make it stick.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
I do know what the park owners say.. But this is my theory and I'm sticking to it, NOTE that my rig is a youngster (only 7 years old)

If the park has so much business that they feel they have to turn folks away because their perfectly good RV is more than 10 years old..... They do not need mine.

Or yours

Park elsewhere.
I couldn't agree more!!
islecop92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
We always stay in state parks or COE campgrounds. We are now restoring a 1978 Class C for local use.
TedandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We stayed at one place that the sewer hose could not lay on the ground....so people had pieces of cardboard, scraps of lumber, etc. to get it off the ground. never could figure that one out.
For some reason it was a law in Las Vegas too.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
most of the campground saying this are simply trying to avoid the "white trash"...

send em a picture of your rig...
or stay somewhere else...

With the crazy "non-discrimination" laws these days.... they just do what they can/have to.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
I tried to avoid this topic but I would like to toss out there something I've observed... it isn't necessarily true for all but definitely true for plenty of folks

1. Just because someone can afford a newer RV-rig, doesn't make them better or any less white trash than the rest of us. I've seen folks like this turn out to be the biggest bunch of crooks, con-men, pedophiles, wife beaters and such on the planet.

2. Just because a person prefers an older rig and not go into debt to get it doesn't make them white trash at all.

SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote