Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
Ahhhhh nuts

Some people can afford new motor homes but prefer the calssics. I will again use my 89 Allegro with 17000 (yes that's seventeen thousand) original miles that we just ran from Ohio to Florida with no problems. My neighbor in the rv park were in has a brand new Holiday Rambler......he has had his rv in for repairs 7 times and his unit isn't even 4 months old. Severe roof leaks, engine problems, and electrical problems. My old 89 ran n works just fine and my original Tiffan roof has never leaked. I do like the newer unit sliders, but that's more equipment to fail and to maintain. I'm retired...just wanna camp, meet with new people, and fish

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
I like to plan well ahead of my trips and have found that it is a challenge when booking sight once they know that I drive a 1984 Winnebago.
In all the discussions which have taken place on this topic, this is the first report I can recall where a member indicates that it has presented a real challenge for them to make travel plans.

My experience has been that parks with these restrictions are in a very small (<5%) minority and I'm surprised to hear that Winnebeater finds it a challenge to even book a site anywhere with an older rig.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO - it shouldn't even be a discussion point...
and boy has it been discussed

forcing FAIRNESS on people is not always fair, and certainly isn't right IMHO again...

re, the housing crisis, the fair tax, the rv campground is now the new battleground it seems....

as a camp ground owner he has EVERY right to do what he wants...
to me, there is no discrimination - just their standards they would like to keep...

and I agree, it there are standards, they should be enforced, because someone is counting on those standards for whatever reason they chose...

again - each of us has a right to chose where we stay...

(or looking at this discussion from a different view -
would you like to be ASSIGNED where you must stay ?
who's rights are being infringed upon then ?)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
My experience has been that parks with these restrictions are in a very small (<5%) minority and I'm surprised to hear that Winnebeater finds it a challenge to even book a site anywhere with an older rig.

Rick
I would have had the same assumption as you, but last year while planning our trip to southern California we called more than 10 locations near Disneyland and about 6-7 locations near the San Diego Zoo before finding a place to camp. These were all reservations for 3 days or less. My motor home does not look unacceptable, there is no duct tape, I do not have a swamp cooler hanging out of any windows. In fact my motor home look pretty good and other think so because I get complements quite a bit about the condition. Now I need to find an RV park where I can rent long term (a few months) and that is impossible with my RV.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
forcing FAIRNESS on people is not always fair, and certainly isn't right IMHO again...
So, I work hard, save my money wisely and spend sparingly. Because of that I should be punished because I would rather put $100,000 plus into retirement than towards a new motor home. All I want to do is be able to take my family to some fun places and have memorable family experiences. My motor home is in great shape, and is very well kept. It looks better than some 8 year old RV's, but because of it's age I can't get past the phone call when trying to make a reservation. Then I have to reserve a site that is not even close to the actual place that we are visiting. I don't think we need laws to regulate this and I absolutely appose more government intervention than is required, but can't rv parks judge on condition and the tenants personal character rather than a fixed year of their rv.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #104

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I would have had the same assumption as you, but last year while planning our trip to southern California we called more than 10 locations near Disneyland and about 6-7 locations near the San Diego Zoo before finding a place to camp. These were all reservations for 3 days or less. My motor home does not look unacceptable, there is no duct tape, Now I need to find an RV park where I can rent long term (a few months) and that is impossible with my RV.
In the So Cal area it is becoming a big problem. I live here so I feel your pain. You have to stay off the beaten path to get in. In the S.D. area Campland On The Bay is a good spot, KOA in Chula Vista still accecpts golden oldies also. As you travel east on I-8 things loosen up.
Orange County used to be very RV friendly, but things are changing.
Bring a toad, stay on the outskirts and commute in. What area are you trying to stay in long term?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post

In the So Cal area it is becoming a big problem. I live here so I feel your pain. You have to stay off the beaten path to get in. In the S.D. area Campland On The Bay is a good spot, KOA in Chula Vista still accecpts golden oldies also. As you travel east on I-8 things loosen up.
Orange County used to be very RV friendly, but things are changing.
Bring a toad, stay on the outskirts and commute in. What area are you trying to stay in long term?
J
Yeah the Chula Vista KOA was where we stayed in the San Diego area. My daughters liked that place quite a bit, but we wanted to stay at a place right on the water.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #106

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Yeah the Chula Vista KOA was where we stayed in the San Diego area. My daughters liked that place quite a bit, but we wanted to stay at a place right on the water.
On the water would be the Campland spot.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #107

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0541A.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	31311

Havent been turned away anywhere in our rig, I can afford to buy a nice db mh, (used), but this was built the way we wanted it, and it can all summer on the high way camp ground to camp ground, then plow your way to you best fishing hole back woods boondocking.(all steel and lots of ground clearance)

gbstewart
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
What area are you trying to stay in long term?
J
Sorry, I didn't originally see this part of your comment. The So-Cal trip was last January for my oldest daughters fifth birthday. I am currently trying to find a campground that I can stay at long term near Eagle, ID. I will more than likely be moving up there for a promotion with my company.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Small world. I used to live just outside of Eagle, Id. I was back there a few years ago. As i recall there's a nice, new RV park in Meridian but I don't think there's much actually in Eagle.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #110

The small county parks I frequent have no age or even size restrictions. If you can get your rig in there you can camp there. And, there usually quieter and a more laid back type camping style. But, there is never full hookups, sometimes there is water, sometimes not. There is usually electricity but, sometimes not that either. It all depends on what sort of camping style your looking for. If you get into SW MN or the Iowa Great Lakes region give me a PM and I'll send you a report on all the local camping spots.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Small world. I used to live just outside of Eagle, Id. I was back there a few years ago. As i recall there's a nice, new RV park in Meridian but I don't think there's much actually in Eagle.

Best of luck.

Rick
Thank you, Rick. The one in Meridian was at the top of my list, but I called to make a reservation and they said that they would not allow me to stay there because of the age of our motor home.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you, Rick. The one in Meridian was at the top of my list, but I called to make a reservation and they said that they would not allow me to stay there because of the age of our motor home.
Man, I'm beginning to see that this ten year restriction is becoming more of an issue than I felt it was a few years ago. That's too bad.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD