Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Rigs older than 10 years old - Restrictions

Sorry...I see it's already been beaten to death. Guess my "search-foo" was out to lunch today.
================================================== ========

Hello again all:
Have been looking at a lot of RV park listings and have see a very disturbing trend. I'm seeing more and more that have the restriction of 10 years old or newer.
Now I understand completely the attempt of RV park owners to keep the "trashy vehicles" out of the park in order to keep up a livable park, but it seems like a form of discrimination. I guess it gives them the opportunity to look out at the parking lot and say "well I'm sorry but the rules are in place and there's nothing I can do about it...sorry". Or if they look out and like what they see then "well, we can make exceptions and your rig can stay".
So I sit on the fence about this issue. My old rig ('76 Bluebird Wanderlodge) wouldn't qualify and my new rig ('82) wouldn't qualify either, even though both are in excellent condition.
If this has been addressed here before, I apologize for the repost. If not...what does everybody think.
Regards,
<Dennie>
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #2

I have been questioned 2 times one time when I full timed once at the coast I sent a pic no problem then
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
laj

Yes, its been pretty well thrashed.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #4

If they dont like me, I dont like them
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One RV resort would not let my 32 year old Silver Streak in unless we can in with a rally group. I do not go there for any reason now, even with a 2 year old 5er. I avoid the snooty "Resorts".

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

I still giggle.

We had a 40 coach rally set up.
The Wagonmaster got there two weeks before to look at the park and make sure they were ready.
Was asked about the age of his coach and answered honestly.
When he was told about the 10 year limit, he asked to cancel his reservation, then he went out to his coach and got the list of the nearly forty other reservations to cancel......
8 miles don't the road was a less expensive park with better facilities, but it had been missed in the first search.

Matt
Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

Do you have to wear a black tie at these resorts?...........dress for dinner?
leadfoot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I think its a line in the sand, a standard to filter out campers with junky RVs. Basically like the previous thread stated If its a private CG they can pretty much do as they wish. Personally when I go camping I avoid CG with an abundance of permanents, with rigs that are in bad shape, I'm not describing seasonal folks, but permanents.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at one place that the sewer hose could not lay on the ground....so people had pieces of cardboard, scraps of lumber, etc. to get it off the ground. never could figure that one out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Easy one to figure out Dunner...
made the grass grow too fast where they lay
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #11

FWIW, Campgrounds in Oregon say this is a State law. A drain hose must be supported off the ground. Camping World, and others, sell a collapsing plastic gadget that expands to support the drain hose at an angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We stayed at one place that the sewer hose could not lay on the ground....so people had pieces of cardboard, scraps of lumber, etc. to get it off the ground. never could figure that one out.

Ken
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
We tend to park for a month or longer with our motorhome. We learned the hard way what happens when a worker inadvertently(?) nicks a stinky slinky with a weedeater. If we leave the slinky out, it is definitely raised on a plastic incline and sits in plastic gutter sections that are cut to manageable lengths. I guess cardboard and lumber scraps would also work.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Maybe it's so it's easier to see by others if the hose is leaking? When I full timed for 6 months (as a permanent more or less. I had a mail box there) in my 67 Shasta at an RV park, I only had grey water to deal with so I had the hose hooked on permanently (plus it was made with no grey holding tank at all) and I put the hose through some of that corrugated drain pipe to keep it more rigid and put some blocks of wood under it every few feet so it would drain easier and it worked great. It also helped to protect the hose. Not ideal for traveling but works well for a permanent setup.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and

Looks like you've already discovered that this topic has been cussed and discussed at length. Hopefully it's been some fun reading for you.

IMHO, I haven't seen this as any sort of "trend" after covering 43 states and 50,000 miles over the past five years. Yes, I've seen a few... and actually enjoyed staying at some of them for as much as four months at a time.

I feel more comfortable when the RV's around me are "road worthy" and not obviously just being used as temporary shelter. IMO, a very high percentage of parks which have the "Ten Year Restriction" use it only to keep out those RV's which are clearly eyesores... and any older, nicely maintained unit is welcomed.

To me this is no different that restrictions imposed by many HOA's on homeowners. Many who are uncomfortable with HOA's will also not want to patronize parks with such restrictions. I think all involved understand that and can live with the results.

Some take such restrictions very personally and view it as a form of legalized discrimination. Others interpret any of these restrictions as "snooty" or "snobbish" and they certainly won't be happy staying there.

IMO, at the end of the day, this is much more a philosophical discussion than a practical challenge to anyone traveling with an RV >10 years old.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote