Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

Road Noise

Hi everyone. My 1977 dodge is good for local travelling.Now when I hit the highway the road noise increases dramatically.We have to crank the radio to hear it.Does anyone else experience this in older motorhomes? Are the more modern versions quieter.Or is this something all motorhomes have to put up with. Looking at soundproofing maybe for the floor and wheel areas.Is this possible. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #2

The newer ones, say mid 90's and newer, are better, but you've hit on one of the reasons the diesel pushers are so popular. The downside to being so quite regarding road/wind noise, is the extra care that must be taken with dishes and stuff, so they don't rattle!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If you are driving and there is a motor between you and your passenger, it will be noisy. A couple of years ago bought current and first pusher. I can now speak in a normal tone to passenger and not have to yell. Now, that being said, you can insulate the dog house and wheel wells and make sure windows and doors are sealed and it will help, but you will still have motor noise. Don't let that deter you on your road trips. It is still great fun, even with the yelling.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I use a product on the floor of my race cars called Lizard Skin. They have a heat barrier and a sound barrier version. you could try spraying it under the doghouse and in the wheel wells.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

Well the dog house has a soft foamy liner already on it. So do I replace it or add to it? The road noise I can hear is not so much the engine.It isn't too bad, but mostly the back part wheel area and a little towards the middle. I mean it only gets loud at full highway speeds here at 100 km/h. So what I did was drop my speed to about 85-90 km/h. It isn't as bad at that speed.I notice other c-class out on the highway don't go that fast either.At lower speeds I find it easier to control and is safer. But was just wondering about reducing the noise a little. Thanks guys...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtodd View Post
Well the dog house has a soft foamy liner already on it. So do I replace it or add to it? The road noise I can hear is not so much the engine.It isn't too bad, but mostly the back part wheel area and a little towards the middle. I mean it only gets loud at full highway speeds here at 100 km/h. So what I did was drop my speed to about 85-90 km/h. It isn't as bad at that speed.I notice other c-class out on the highway don't go that fast either.At lower speeds I find it easier to control and is safer. But was just wondering about reducing the noise a little. Thanks guys...
Do you think it's the tires that are making the noise? Some of the "all season" light truck tires make a ton of noise.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

It's quite possible 92TNTRacing. We will have to take more highway trips to see. I'm the only driver of this vehicle.My wife won't drive it. So I will have to make her go to different parts of the vehicle in back , to find out.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

If you have a 2 piece driveshaft make sure the center support bearing is not bad,the bearings will go bad and can get quite loud.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #9

thanks stumpnc. I'll check that as well..
Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
I've come to the conclusion that noise, is the nature of the beasts. With ours it seems to be more of a wind noise than anything else.
I agree that slowing down helps a lot too.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a few things that I have found, one in my motor home and the others in older cars.

First the Motor home.. I find my windshield is trying to leave without the motor home... As it pulls away from the seals I get a lot of "Wind Noise" a rushing sound.. I finally put retainer straps on it to hold it in place.

Likewise door seals and window seals and slide seals and things like that get old and don't seal as well. This causes a lot of noise that increases with speed and may change suddenly if you pass or are passed by a truck or in gusting wind conditions.

Second.. On cars, I found wheel wells rusting out and letting the noise and Lord knows what else in.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #12

That's what I love about joining a forum.Many different opinions and suggestions.Thanks for all the input on this.It's nice knowing that many people experience similar things in the RV world. When I get more years in I'm sure I will find more ways to make things better and easier for myself. I always read posts on here , when I have time to gain more knowledge. Thanks..