Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

Question Road Trip

1995 Georgia Boy Swinger gonna make a trip to Pigieon Forge Tenn. It is a 454 and the motor and tranny are in good shape. It does get rather warm if it has to pull hard for a while so I was thinking of taking the ac condenser off it so the radiater would get more air. We will be traveling across I-40 from Okla. How are the peaks and climbs going ot affect me? Are any of them going to be really hard to get over ? Thanks Ronnie in South Central Okla.
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you flushed the cooling system? Cleaned the radiator exterior? How hot does the coolant get? Most engines run hotter than days of old because engines work more efficiently at higher temperatures so they are often at 195º - 210º. You could check your thermostat, another cause of overheating.

When driving up a grade, do you manually drop to a lower gear? The engine won't work as hard at a higher RPM, and in addition, you'll circulate the coolant faster as the water pump goes faster.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie mopar View Post
1995 Georgia Boy Swinger gonna make a trip to Pigieon Forge Tenn. It is a 454 and the motor and tranny are in good shape. It does get rather warm if it has to pull hard for a while so I was thinking of taking the ac condenser off it so the radiater would get more air. We will be traveling across I-40 from Okla. How are the peaks and climbs going ot affect me? Are any of them going to be really hard to get over ? Thanks Ronnie in South Central Okla.
Your 454 will climb all those hills, just maybe not as fast as the other boys. Sometimes you'll just have to take them at 25 mph and that's the best you can do with an older rig.

The big blocks do run hot, so there are a couple things you can do to help with the cooling. The first is to create an air dam so that air coming in the front flows only to the radiator. You can use sheet metal from the home improvement store and a set of snips to create a cover from the top of the radiator to the firewall, and a couple more at the sides and bottom. This will really help.
You should also check the clutch fan which cools the engine; it has a very distinctive airplane-taking-off roar when it kicks in at around 210 degrees, whereupon the temp will drop rapidly. If you're not hearing that roar at high temps, consider replacing it. The fans are not expensive and are relatively easy to replace at home.

Oil and transmission coolers are good additions, if not already installed.

Cleaning the radiator, front and back will make a difference too.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #4

Trip

I'm going to remove the ac condenser and then clean the radiater really good. It is closed up around the radiater for the air to go thru. It has to have a bunch of trash behind the condenser so removing that and cleaning should help a lot. It has never boiled over but I don't want it to a long ways from home. This is going to be our first long distance trip and want to try to make it trouble free. Any tips at all will really help. Thanks Ronnie
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote