Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #15

Check the roof carefully in the area of the roof AC. Those support braces that have been added were due to a sagging roof and are not original.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #16

$4000 for fuel is a better estimate.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #17

Thanks Dave, something I did not notice/think about. Will be sure to put that down on the list of things to check out.

Winnebeater, I did my calculations, using 7mpg, I get:

6000miles/7mpg = 858 gallons * $4.00 per gallon = $3,428.57. So $3500 should be a decent estimate, no?

Trying to keep it under $2k per person (with 5-6 going) so my calculations look like this:

May I ask what you pay for insurance? I called our company (smaller mom and pop shop) and gave her the info, told her I'd be the only one driving, gave her the vehicle description and price the owner is asking. Supposed to get back to me early next week. Just a rough estimate, I'm expected to pay around $1500, is this in the ball park?

Thanks for all your help guys.
Waymon3x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you guys are planning a big adventure and I certainly see the romance in what you're planning.

Not wanting to be a stick in the mud... but... two weeks to go coast to coast and back again strikes me as far too short a time. Secondly, the potential for major break downs along the way with a $5000 motor home exist. I'd suggest to at least discuss what happens if you find yourself in the middle of Texas and the transmission blows.

Best of luck to you guys.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
What would be the cost of renting a new RV for two weeks?
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
What would be the cost of renting a new RV for two weeks?
These guys are one of the biggest Cruise America: RV Rentals, Motorhome Rentals, Wohnmobil Mieten, Camper Hire

I also think your estimate for insurance is probably double what it should cost you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
The excess milage terms with this rental company would push their budget some, but still..... a nice new rv would most likely be trouble free & light years ahead of the vintage rig in terms of comfort & mod cons..

Quote:
An estimated mileage charge of $476.00 for 1400 miles applies to your rental. At the end of the rental if you have driven less then 1400 miles you will receive a refund for the unused miles at the rate of $0.34 per mile. If at the end of your rental you have driven more then 1400 miles you will be charged $0.34 per each additional mile driven.
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #22

My gas estimates were at $4.30 a gallon and 6.5 mpg. It is over cautious, but you should expect the unexpected.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Not wanting to be a stick in the mud... but... two weeks to go coast to coast and back again strikes me as far too short a time. Secondly, the potential for major break downs along the way with a $5000 motor home exist. I'd suggest to at least discuss what happens if you find yourself in the middle of Texas and the transmission blows.

Best of luck to you guys.

Rick
I certainly understand. Perhaps ~3 weeks would be a better estimate? If we drive straight through, and rotate, we should be on the west coast in ~5 days from CT if there are no problems. We did a road trip from CT to FL which was supposed to take ~22 hours and we made it in, I think 18 if I remember (driving at night is a huge plus).

All of us won't have to go back to school until after labor day weekend, so we basically have the entire month of August, but it would be nice to be home for a few days before we go back to school. So 3 weeks should be enough, no?

Regarding renting, Since I am the oldest and will turn 21 in October, this simply won't work. To my knowledge, you must be 25 to rent. My parents are very lenient, but won't take the responsibility of signing for us for such a big trip like this. There's just too much that can go wrong, and with them retiring soon, they don't want to take the risk of losing assets etc if something stupid does go wrong. So renting is pretty much off the table. But thank you for the suggestion.

RickO, thanks for the clarification on insurance. That's a huge saver right there. If I can lower that estimate, then it might be possible that we can look at a newer model RV, with perhaps little to no problems; maybe something like this?

1984 Winnebago 75,000 Miles

Thanks for all the input guys, I've learned a lot from you over the past few days.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymon3x6 View Post

....then it might be possible that we can look at a newer model RV, with perhaps little to no problems; maybe something like this?

1984 Winnebago 75,000 Miles
Both motorhomes are exactly the same as far as chassis is concerned. In fact most amenities are similar if not exactly the same. The 1984 is the same as mine except it is five feet shorter. With five guys the 1981 seems like a better fit for you guys as long as it passes inspection.

You had mentioned that you did a previous trip before from CT to Florida and shaved 4 hours off the estimated time.....keep in mind 55 mph is where I get optimal highway mileage. Every 4-5 mph faster I go it reduces my fu economy by about 20%. A friend and I have made it from Chicago to Sacramento in 51 hours, but only stopped for fuel, drove 80 mph or faster and switched driving duties at every fill-up.

Are you traveling to a destination in California or are you guys just wanting to see the country?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
Both motorhomes are exactly the same as far as chassis is concerned. In fact most amenities are similar if not exactly the same. The 1984 is the same as mine except it is five feet shorter. With five guys the 1981 seems like a better fit for you guys as long as it passes inspection.

You had mentioned that you did a previous trip before from CT to Florida and shaved 4 hours off the estimated time.....keep in mind 55 mph is where I get optimal highway mileage. Every 4-5 mph faster I go it reduces my fu economy by about 20%. A friend and I have made it from Chicago to Sacramento in 51 hours, but only stopped for fuel, drove 80 mph or faster and switched driving duties at every fill-up.

Are you traveling to a destination in California or are you guys just wanting to see the country?
Regarding the Florida trip, we drove a Rav 4, mainly at night, and obviously tested the aerodynamics of the car on the straight-aways. Since it was 2, 3am, we had no issues with traffic which also helped.

But yeah, we would obviously look to go the speed limit in a big camper. No rush. Would you recommend that we travel during the day, or at night? Or maybe both? We don't want to miss Colorado/Utah and further west on the way there though, so perhaps we should travel during the day, but that presents an issue with traffic.

We are traveling to Santa Monica. My cousin lives there so I would visit him, and probably spend a few days there in the RV. Then we would possibly take a trip up the PCH to Santa Barbara or down to San Diego (maybe both) and then head home through Arizona, New Mexico etc. I have already been to CA, and some of my friends have as well, so the main part of the trip is to see the country - Colorado, Utah, Arizona etc, some of the places we have not yet been to.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I certainly understand. Perhaps ~3 weeks would be a better estimate? If we drive straight through, and rotate, we should be on the west coast in ~5 days from CT if there are no problems. .
I'm not a good person to ask this question. I would take four months but I'm retired.

Quote:

But yeah, we would obviously look to go the speed limit in a big camper. No rush. Would you recommend that we travel during the day, or at night? Or maybe both? We don't want to miss Colorado/Utah and further west on the way there though, so perhaps we should travel during the day, but that presents an issue with traffic.

I really don't think traffic will be an issue overall so drive when you want and feel you can best meet your goals for timing and sight seeing. I would think it would include a lot of both day and night driving.

Traffic will be an issue in the major metros but there's no answer for that other than to plan your passages to hit them in off hours.

Have fun and be safe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

On the subject of night driving... be sure you use our search feature and find threads about overnighting at WalMart parking lots. You'll probably find yourselves very tired at times and WalMart (and some others) allow for RVers to stay overnight in their parking lots. As they say, "some restrictions apply" so please do research it so you stay within their rules.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
It is going to be one hot trip. Get some 12v fans from Wallyworld. And if you want this trip to see America, driving needs to be during the day. Sounds like a grand adventure.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago