Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #1

Rocking swaying help

I just bought a 90 jamboree 24ft. The rig is in very good exterior and interior condition and mechanically runs really good. I have notice driving it it seams to sway and rock a bit more than the newer units I've rented in the past. Also my wife was driving behind me and noticed it too. I have read on other sites that it may be caused by tires and shocks. When I purchased it had the four rear tires put on new and front are about 8 months old. Under a quick inspection I noticed the rear shocks have Coil springs attached to them. I am not sure what brand they are or how old they are. Should I change them? What else can be the issue. Any help would be appreciated. We are planning to take it out in about a week and want to make sure it's safe.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd have the suspension checked for loose components. Also if any sway bars are installed, make sure their bushings aren't worn and allowing play. Shocks are also a good investment, Bilstein or Koni are good brands of shock absorbers.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd have the suspension checked for loose components. Also if any sway bars are installed, make sure their bushings aren't worn and allowing play. Shocks are also a good investment, Bilstein or Koni are good brands of shock absorbers.
Thank you, I was planning on switching the shocks out and will look at the rest of suspension. I have rig in storage so not that easy to pop in whenever but the manager at lot has been letting me go in and work on it to get it ready for our first trip.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Super Steer Rear Anti-Sway Bar [lifetime], RoadMaster Front Anti-Sway Bar [lifetime], Koni FSD Hydraulic Shocks, Sumo Springs front & rear, and Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer [lifetime]. With this combination you can't go wrong.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

I'd start with making sure the tires were properly inflated. THEN Have the front end looked at/do what you need to do...
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamboree1003 View Post
I just bought a 90 jamboree 24ft. The rig is in very good exterior and interior condition and mechanically runs really good. I have notice driving it it seams to sway and rock a bit more than the newer units I've rented in the past. Also my wife was driving behind me and noticed it too. I have read on other sites that it may be caused by tires and shocks. When I purchased it had the four rear tires put on new and front are about 8 months old. Under a quick inspection I noticed the rear shocks have Coil springs attached to them. I am not sure what brand they are or how old they are. Should I change them? What else can be the issue. Any help would be appreciated. We are planning to take it out in about a week and want to make sure it's safe.
the reason for the springs on the shocks was back in the day,.. those coaches had too light of rear spring... the spring shops made a small fortune doing a re arch and add a leaf...
right now the easiest , cheapest and best thing to do would be put sumo springs in the rear...
Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #7

Is there an antisway bar installed? If not, add one.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an 89 Tioga with the same spring shocks and was wondering if that was an after thought. Mine also sways alot. I have a 26' unit. If thats the case with the shocks then they have to be the originals. I do plan on putting Firestone ride rites on the back to help with the swaying. Most likely you also have a sway bar in back like mine since they are just about the same model and year from Fleetwood.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #9

Check out the Cheap Handling Fix in the Ford Chassis Owners subforum.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Check out the Cheap Handling Fix in the Ford Chassis Owners subforum.
If I remember correctly, that only applies to the f53 frame on the class A's not the E350 frames on the class C's. I could be wrong but when I looked at mine it didn't have the extra set of holes in the sway bar.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #11

Thanks, Rick
Same logic applies--if you have a swaybar, shorten the arms.
If you don't have one, add one.

If your shocks are shot, replace them. If shocks are good, look at swaybar.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #12

So I went to storage place today and climbed under rv and noticed the front swaybar bushings looking pretty bad. How much would this effect the handling. I plan on swapping out this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	89216  
Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #13

I also looked at rear and noticed I don't have rear sway bar and doesn't look like mounts are welded to axle. What would be my options in the most economical way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	89217  
Old 03-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #14

Get poly eurethane sway bar bushings,, not rubber... They are stiffer and last a Lot longer...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote