Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Ron's '89 Southwind

You guys (and gals) have been so helpful that I thought I'd push my luck and ask another question. I'm having some suspension issues. The front and rear shocks are shot but that part is easy. I have air suspension baffles that are pretty much shot. I need to get my rear-end up. The fuel tank is currently only about 8" off the ground (empty). Any suggestions on what I can do that won't cost a bloody fortune? New baffles are cheap but it runs at least $1,500 to put them in. I thought about air shocks but I'm worried that they won't hold the weight, not to mention the possibility of a bouncy ride. I'm so close to having this thing nearly restored I don't want to stop now. I just have a limited budget. Thanks again, my friends.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe take it to a truck spring shop and ask their opinion. They could possibly add a leaf to the rear springs.

Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
The problem with air shock is the shock mounts were not designed to carry a load, the you have one more thing to fix...
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

installing the new air bags shouldn't be a big chore if you have any mechanical skills, they will unbolt and bolt back in if you don't have an on board compressor or yours is bad you can run a fill line to each side and air them that way. mine has after market air bags and they are set up like this and work very well and i can adjust each side according to how much the better half decides to take at the moment. i just hate to see people pay to much on fairly simple repairs because a shop tries to make it out as complicated the wife always gets on to me for saying this because i mechanic for a living but alot of repairs a simple if you follow the instructions
good luck

happy rving
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #5

I've studied my air baffles and from what I can see they are mounted in the center of the coil. It seems I would need a coil compression tool and lots of luck. That is unless I missed something. I'll get under her again today to take a second look. I really need to get the rear back up again. Thanks for your responses.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #6

front are cut into pieces to remove to install roll up and insert through hole in lover a frame (lots of soap) i supect you have leaf springs on rear rear is bolt on you remove bump stops if you do the labor it under $400 about a day for all 4
Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

My bad...my rear air bags are independent and appear to be an easy change. The front ones are a different story. They are in the center of the coils (and also shot). Although I have this RV running well now, you can imagine it's a pretty bumpy ride right now. Any suggestions on where I could find inexpensive air bags? JC Whitney and RockAuto have them but they are $300-400 each. Seems to be high for such a simple device.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #8

got mine at camping world less than $100
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

I checked with Camping World. They do have the air bags for $100 but that's for the front. The rear bags are anywhere from $260 to $350 each. I think I'll have to wait on this.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985
I've studied my air baffles and from what I can see they are mounted in the center of the coil. It seems I would need a coil compression tool and lots of luck. That is unless I missed something. I'll get under her again today to take a second look. I really need to get the rear back up again. Thanks for your responses.
I replaced my airbags in the front coil springs it was pretty simple, the hard part is getting the old ones out! Use a knife and cut them apart and pull out the pieces then clean inside of coils real good, roll the new bags as small as possible and lube with mineral oil then slide them in-between the coils until they are seated correctly. My bags cost around a hundred bucks.
http://www.airliftcompany.com/
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #11

Ron here; I did some homework and have discovered that the rear air bags are sold two ways. For top dollar ($260-350 each) you can get the entire bag kit. However, I found two places (RockAuto and eBay) that sell just the replacement bags at around $100 each. As always, thank you for your responses.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Have you tried Woody @ Merkin Springs? Not sure where you are in Delaware but he is really hurting for work and is very good @ what he does. Wouldn't hurt to give him a shout...

Merkin Auto Spring Co Inc

Place page[IMG]chrome://searchshield/content/safe.gif[/IMG]

501 Garasches Lane
Wilmington, DE 19801-5595
(302) 656-9098
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #13

I'm in the middle of the state. I know where that place is, though. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
installing the new air bags shouldn't be a big chore if you have any mechanical skills, they will unbolt and bolt back in if you don't have an on board compressor or yours is bad you can run a fill line to each side and air them that way. mine has after market air bags and they are set up like this and work very well and i can adjust each side according to how much the better half decides to take at the moment. i just hate to see people pay to much on fairly simple repairs because a shop tries to make it out as complicated the wife always gets on to me for saying this because i mechanic for a living but alot of repairs a simple if you follow the instructions
good luck

happy rving

Diogenes would be proud.

Tags
southwind