Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Roof a/c

I'm having trouble finding anyone to help me here in Nashville with my roof a/c capacitors. Campers World told me they need a model # but I've removed the roof shroud & the inside cover & the only thing I found was Duo Therm Standard Line 546 & 54808 series. Can't find a model # anywhere.
I removed all 3 capacitors which I wanted to replace but the only problem I have is when I turn the roof a/c on, sometimes the fan will just hum & sometimes it comes on.
The large rectangular silver capacitor has dielektrol 21L3130 30.uf 370 vac 60HZ 642900 RT10052
The smaller silver rectangular capacitor has dielektrol 78-44 122 21L3010 10.uf 370vac 60hz
The small black round capacitor has Mallory 61-72MFD 250vac 3-5046-011 235-7843-04
I hope someone here can help me find these things so I can put this project to rest.
Thank you,
Jerry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #2

Need AC parts

I have heard that PPL in Houston is really good in getting RV parts. 1-800-755-4775. I ordered a part from them and the service was excellent.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
KIX

In a city the size of Nashville there is surely a HVAC or electrical supply house. They will be able to match your capacitors at a better price than CW. Grainger's would have them too if there is a Grainger's in N-ville.
Those are pretty common caps.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can take the capacitor to an A/C supply house or Graingers and get a replacement fro it...you do not need the model of the A.C unit.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

roof a/c

Thank you all for your replies. There is a Grainger's in Nashville & I will take the capacitors there to get them matched up.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Roof a/c

After digging around, I found a HVAC parts place 3 miles from my work. He was nice enough to test my capacitors & found that the compressor cap & start cap tested perfect. He even compared them to new ones & the readings were the same, The fan motor run cap tested faulty. He didn't have one in stock but ordered one & he will have it in by Friday. Hopefully I can put it in this weekend & see if my a/c runs like it should.
Thank you all for your help.
Jerry
Old 11-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Roof a/c

I replaced the motor run capacitor & the fan motor comes on now but the compressor just came on for a few seconds & went off. Since I took off the large silver cap & had it tested, which tested fine, dummy me did not mark which wires went to which pins on the cap. I think I plugged them in right cause when the outside temp got in the 60's the compressor came on then shut off but came back on after a couple minutes. Now that the temp is in the lower 50's the compressor wont come on. Is this normal for a roof top a/c for the compressor not to come on when it's too cold outside? I'll try it again tomorrow if the temp gets warm enough.
Thanks for your help.
Jerry
Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubano222 View Post
I replaced the motor run capacitor & the fan motor comes on now but the compressor just came on for a few seconds & went off. Since I took off the large silver cap & had it tested, which tested fine, dummy me did not mark which wires went to which pins on the cap. I think I plugged them in right cause when the outside temp got in the 60's the compressor came on then shut off but came back on after a couple minutes. Now that the temp is in the lower 50's the compressor wont come on. Is this normal for a roof top a/c for the compressor not to come on when it's too cold outside? I'll try it again tomorrow if the temp gets warm enough.
Thanks for your help.
Jerry
Typically, an A/C temp sensor is set for "about" 40 degrees. Below that temp the compressor will not come on ... it doesn't start and stop ... it doesn't start at all.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. if there are only two wires on the cap. I can guarantee you plugged them in correctly. (There are two ways to hook up a 2-wire start cap, The right way, and the other right way).

If it's a 4 wire cap, odds are you got it right because the compressor starts.

SOME control systems monitor the compressor and if they see it's not compressing.. They shut down and flash an error code.. Mine did that. .Had to get a new A/C.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

I have 3 capacitors. A small round one that I replaced so now the fan motor comes on every time like it should. A small rectangular silver one with 2 wires & a large rectangular silver one(which I assume is the compressor start capacitor) that has 3 wires. The large red & large yellow wire I plugged into the 2 top pins on the cap & the smaller white wire I plugged into the bottom pin.
The temp inside the coach was about 60 degrees & the compressor did not come on. It always blew cold air before whenever the fan motor would decide to come on so it's not low on Freon. Even when the fan motor would not come on before, the compressor would come on. I just don't know if I should wait for a warmer day to see or if I have that large cap wired wrong.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #11

Wiring roof a/c capacitors

Had the compressor capacitor wired wrong. Got up there today & put the yellow & white wire to the top pins on the capacitor & the red wire on the bottom pin. The compressor came on. I shut the unit off 4 times during a 3 hour span & turned it back on, came on every time. I did not rivet the top shroud back on because I'm going to test the a/c several times before I do that, but right now, it's working like it should. Hurray.
Thank you all for all your help.
Jerry
Old 11-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #12

Bummer. I went out today & turned the a/c on & the fan motor just hums like it did before. The compressor comes on & if I go on the roof & spin the fan, it comes on. I put in that new capacitor so I guess my fan motor is bad. Does anybody have instructions on how to remove the motor? Looks like I have to remove a lot of metal & styrafoam insulation to remove the motor.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jerry, if you list a little bit info. on your a/c unit folks might be able you help you out. In both your posts there is nothing to tell us what you are working on........
Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #14

The problem I was having with my a/c was that sometimes when I turned it on, the fan would just hum. I would try again later & the unit would come on & blow cold but sometimes, after running several hours, the fan motor would stop & just hum again. The compressor would continue to run until it would shut off because the fan wasn't running. I have all 3 capacitors checked & 2 checked out like new ones but the small black round one checked out bad. I replaced that one & yesterday, every time I would turn the unit on, the fan would come on so I thought this fixed it.
Today, I turned the a/c on & the fan motor just hummed like it was doing before I replaced the capacitor. I got on the roof & turned the fan with my hand & it started running. Once I getting running with my hand, it seems to come on by itself at the a/c switch every time but if I leave it for several hours, it just hums again.
The capacitor I bought is a Start capacitor: 72-88uf, 250/220V which replaces the old one I had. I don't know if I need a stronger capacitor or my fan motor is bad.

Tags
roof